test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beta Weekend Analysis and Thoughts

ztempestztempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
During the last Beta Weekend (March 8-10) I played the new class -- Control Wizard. I wanted to share some general information about the game for those who are wondering whether this is the game for them, or who are collecting impressions from forum posts regarding the beta weekend.

Over the course of the weekend, I reached level 20 -- and that was without spending every minute of every day power leveling. Like most games of this type, the first 20 levels or so tend to advance rapidly.

As some others have noted in other threads, up to about level 10 the class seemed to be somewhat linear/narrowly focused. Your options were extremely limited, the powers you obtained were regulated. Unlike some of the other feedback in this forum, I believe this to be a very good thing -- the first ten levels or so gives you a sense of the character class, and provides the player with a solid set of foundational skills that are going to become very valuable down the road as your powers and abilities start to branch out.

As I progressed to level 20 I began to receive additional powers/spells, as well as key decision-making events regarding where to put advancement feat points, as well as bonus attribute points. At level 20, I was able to get a glimpse of just how diverse a particular charactor class could become -- and it is more diverse than what is readily apparant. For example, at level 20 I had more powers than slots...I had to really think about my spell rotation, and what strategy to pursue in a typical encounter based on my playstyle. It is at level 20 and above that the classes start to blossom in terms of unique abilities, etc. Interestingly, it requires a subtle sense of logic and skill, combined with personal playstyle and a clear understanding of your character class, to achieve your optimal solution -- and your optimal solution may not be the same as someone elses.

Does the game still need some refinement? Absolutely -- but for a closed beta weekend, it was clear that the game is very, very far along. There will be additional changes, but I can see how this game will be able to hold my interest in the months and years to come.

One thing that I am sort of concerned about -- and although this might seem premature, it is a valid concern when it comes to games of this type -- and that is the end game. It is unlikely that anyone will approach endgame status during a beta weekend...but in games of this type, it is often the case that the game really does not start until you reach level cap. At that point, the REAL development of your character starts -- I do not have a sense of what the endgame will comprise of...I don't think anyone has a clear vision of that aspect of the game other than the devs...but even at level 20, I could seek some cool possibilities -- development of a new career track (Paragon), etc., looks intriguing.

In any case, I submitted some bugs and tested various aspects of the game...but at the end of the day the most important evaluation can be summed up as a single question: did I have fun?

Yes. I had a lot of fun. I think Cryptic has a winner on their hands.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments