test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should loot from treasure chests be shared?

sendriensendrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding this issue, so let's see what the general consensus really is. Do you feel that all uncommon or higher loot found in treasure chests should be forced through the need-greed-pass system just like mob drops?

Please post comments and rationales below.
The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is.
Post edited by sendrien on

Comments

• Options
    sendriensendrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally, I think this is a serious, high priority issue that needs addressing as soon as possible. Nothing is more divisive than loot sharing, and the whole reason why the concept of personalized chests was developed was to prevent arguments over chests, or mad scrambles to get a particular chest.

If the loot that comes out of a treasure chest is subjected to the same Need-Greed system currently implemented for mob drops, this would be the simplest solution to what I feel currently is a very major, enjoyment-sapping problem in Neverwinter.
    The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is.
  • Options
    vanderhelmvanderhelm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree, this is also an important issue for me. I ran Cloak Tower about a dozen times yesterday and whenever I grabbed that secret chest I felt self-conscious (Especially if it was a green item I couldn't even use anyway) and when someone else ran past me and grabbed it I definitely resented them for it.

I think the option of having every chest be lootable for everyone is the most friendly one but also a little overpowered since everyone would be rolling in greens; having rare chest loot be subject to regular need-greed rolls is probably the best solution for both players and the game itself.
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd like the chests to be lootable by everyone. Would be much more fun for the party, being all able to find a chest and freely loot it (better than need/greed rolls, because we all get to explore the secret areas and find the chest for ourselves).
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    vanderhelmvanderhelm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    babylon wrote: »
    I'd like the chests to be lootable by everyone. Would be much more fun for the party, being all able to find a chest and freely loot it (better than need/greed rolls, because we all get to explore the secret areas and find the chest for ourselves).

It's more time wasted that way though; sure everyone gets their own loot (Which is not good for the game's economy) but generally your party is together at all times anyway and this would make it so every time you find a chest everyone has to line up to loot it so an action that generally takes 3 seconds (About how long one person takes to loot a chest) now takes at least 15.
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    vanderhelm wrote: »
    It's more time wasted that way though; sure everyone gets their own loot (Which is not good for the game's economy) but generally your party is together at all times anyway and this would make it so every time you find a chest everyone has to line up to loot it so an action that generally takes 3 seconds (About how long one person takes to loot a chest) now takes at least 15.

Yeah I did consider that, but on the other hand most of us do like looting chests ourselves...seems like a nicer deal to loot a chest each than to need/greed roll on chests (in pugs that same ninja guy who would've run off to grab the chest while everyone was fighting will probably just roll need on every item in chest anyway with a need/greed system).
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Just saw a dev say the chests are actually bugged and they'll be need/greed like any drop - link
    dinohedron wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    There is definitely a bug with chests and need or greed. The intent is it follows the same rules as regular drops. So those juicy items should be popping up the need or greed based on your team settings. We're lookin' into it.

-Zeke
  • Options
    riepahriepah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Or they could simply allow a chest to be looted by everyone at the same time. Have an "open-the-chest" animation once and keep it open for everyone to just press their loot button once and have the window pop up immediately.
  • Options
    wylie01wylie01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited March 2013
    Chest Trolls that just sit near a chest and shoot at the mobs or worst yet do nothing and wait for the battle to be over.
  • Options
    fashn1kfashn1k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited March 2013
    These chests are mostly filled with crafting materials and maybe a trash item. Limiting the loot to the people who know where it is and immediately run for it is a bit saddening. Makes people compete in a cooperative mission. Not good.
  • Options
    karone31karone31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    NBG is the DnD way, nuff said.
  • Options
    darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like them to be N-G with shared cash, all the other stuff can be first come first serve. I did one time get a blue item from a chest, so woulda been lame if a rogue got that blue wizard orb and I never got to use it.
  • Options
    kokane42kokane42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    [QUOTE=I think the option of having every chest be lootable for everyone is the most friendly one but also a little overpowered since everyone would be rolling in greens; having rare chest loot be subject to regular need-greed rolls is probably the best solution for both players and the game itself.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this wholeheartedly...the last thing you want is the AH and marketplace flooded with greens and rares
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Money from chests is shared already - when someone opened a chest, a few moments later I always received like '80 copper'.
    Potions and other 'white stuff' should be divided equally somehow. Actually, I care most about potions, because as a CW I was always low on them. Green items in chests? In 95% cases they are unidentified and really close to being worthless, so I would not get so sad if someone else picks it 'faster'. Again, potions and crafting reagents concern me more than this 'green' stuff. Still, to make this all more fair a rework is needed, as it is now it's just unfair.

As a side note about chests, alot of times chest contents restored after you die (so like I die at boss, run to him, and notice that chest that I run past is full again) - must be a bug :D
  • Options
    kohlfrogkohlfrog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think the chests in dungeons should be lootable by everyone. I think this should apply to the kit things in dungeons as well. Everyone with the kit/skill should be able to open it.

Lets face it, I can go buy a ton of kits, run through somewhere like blacklake, and gather endless amounts of resource/items from the kit boxes scattered everywhere. A dungeon, has much fewer of those in total for the time I'm running it. So if I spend 30 minutes running around gathering at a random map like Blacklake, or the Orc area, I can make a REALLY good haul. Making it so that the treasure boxes/kits, in dungeons is lootable by all, certainly isn't going to throw the economy off in the face of farming that can happen like above. Also, I think treasure boxes near big bosses in explorable maps need to be multi-lootable as well. Nothing takes the oooomph out of soloing that nasty group of bosses like the guy waiting to sneak and steal the box before your out of fight mode, when he never fired a shot...
  • Options
    elimin3elimin3 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nothing like being in a pug, fighting a nasty group of mobs, only to watch one group mate, just standing next to the chest waiting for you to do all the work.

Honestly, I do not think this is high priorty, since there is a vote to kick, but at least show us what they looted, and I would prefer a roll on blues... dont care about greens.
    "It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously." Peter Ustinov
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    Moot point, chests are bugged, loot from them is intended to be divided and rolled on, devs have already commented on this.
  • Options
    tabris82tabris82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Moot point, chests are bugged, loot from them is intended to be divided and rolled on, devs have already commented on this.

Nice to know. Do you have the source of this information?

Thanks
  • Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    tabris82 wrote: »
    Nice to know. Do you have the source of this information?

Thanks

I'll look for it later. Zeke commented on the issue in another thread. Check the Dev tracker if you don't feel like waiting for me to find it :)

Edit: Oh... what he said ^^
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Loot ninja mechanics are astonishing stupid to have in a new MMO. It's baffling that they've remained in past early alpha, let alone an all-but-open beta. This is something that will severely harm the public perceptions of the game if not fixed for release.

Either "everyone gets the loot" or "random player gets the loot", or "loot goes up for need-greed roll" are all fine solutions, and different solutions would be more appropriate for different loot, but "first come first serve" is absolutely unacceptable.
  • Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    aeriocaerioc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sendrien wrote: »
    Personally, I think this is a serious, high priority issue that needs addressing as soon as possible. Nothing is more divisive than loot sharing, and the whole reason why the concept of personalized chests was developed was to prevent arguments over chests, or mad scrambles to get a particular chest.

If the loot that comes out of a treasure chest is subjected to the same Need-Greed system currently implemented for mob drops, this would be the simplest solution to what I feel currently is a very major, enjoyment-sapping problem in Neverwinter.

If the system does not encourage fairness, it of course will be abused by selfish players. Your right about this and it is a 'game changer' as it can have a very negative impact on the game population.
  • Options
    mrbloodybartucmrbloodybartuc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The need before greed system should be in place for chests. Honestly, I thought it was a bug that it wasn't already in effect.
  • Options
    tairukutairuku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think everyone should be able to loot the chests. And, if there are any things in need of the skills (Thievery, Religious , Etc. ) should also be allowed to be given to every character in the dungeon.
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    In case people missed it. All chests could be looked by everyone in the party last time I checked. With the exception of a couple of chests that just drop a named item every time.