test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My poor wizard

jimbobbyboyjimbobbyboy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
I live for the wizz!

Seriously. My gaming history from pen and paper, through Baldurs Gate 1, 2 and whichever comes next and every DnD based game in between, is always as a wizard. I love the little magic fellows.

I didn’t get as much time as I would like this weekend to blast my Control Wizard through to upper levels, only managing 22 before the family took "control" of my life.

I was disappointed. Not with the game. I love the game and had an absolute blast playing a Trickster through to level 30 last weekend. The Cleric was also a ton of fun, but I think I am a little jaded with the wizard.

To me, the wizard has always been about flexibility and this seemed to be missing. I love the ability to tailor the wizard to different combat situations. different spells/powers working well with certain enemies than with others, chopping and changing until I find just what works.

I didn’t get that. Or at least it didn’t feel like I did. Don’t get me wrong, I learnt to control my enemies and become useful and powerful but, regardless of which spells I used, they all seemed to do pretty much the same thing - just with different names. The choices I could make didn’t seem to make any significant difference.

I heard the grumbling about the lack of customisation with other classes but didn’t really care. With the wizard through, it really does hit home.

J
Post edited by jimbobbyboy on

Comments

• bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    It's like the class is Bi-Polar. It can't decide which Build it is. So it's waffling back, and forth between Control Wizard, and War Wizard. Then this clunky Ice mechanic got added onto it. Sure there are a LOT of Ice based spells in the PhB but they aren't the only spells in the book.

That, and the lack of control. The Cleric gets access to a better Control ability early on in chains of faith since it actually locks them into place, damages them, and can be aimed. And that's before level ten.

Spell mastery also needs to be re-worked. Instead of it only effecting one spell make it so you hit tab which activate spell mastery then you choose which encounter power to cast from the ones you have slotted.
  • granmazzogranmazzo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wizard was the worst class in the beta for me
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For me, the wizard was actually very fun to play - except for the thing that it had zero survivability due to balancing done wrongly.

If a few tweaks are done - like increasing the hold time, the class will be very very FUN!
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I had fun with it. Just feel like it needs to be reworked, and I'd like to see it be given the care it needs.
  • grimjoe32grimjoe32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited March 2013
    Wizard??? didnt see any spellbook =P
    edited March 2013
    Mystra is a creepy ghost. Magic works different now. Plus why would he want to make his companion more effective?
  • borak2borak2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    For me, the wizard was actually very fun to play - except for the thing that it had zero survivability due to balancing done wrongly.

If a few tweaks are done - like increasing the hold time, the class will be very very FUN!

I agree with this. At the current stage of the wizard, It has a split personality. Cryptic needs to decide if the wizard is made for control or dps. If it is a dps then add some AOE powers or other decent damage powers.

If it is control, then they need to boost ALL the control powers up by 3-4 seconds.

I love this class and had a very fun time playing it. With what he can do I was able to take on 1 savage ogre, and 2 battle hardened orcs with the 4 minions. I chugged 2 potions during the encounter but lived to tell the tale.
    I want to thank the person By the way that brought the 2 orcs and minions over to me while I was fighting the ogre. He ran pass me with all of them in tow as I happened to do my knockback and I wound up aggroing them all.
    I relied heavily on teleport and my AOE knockbacks. But it was a wild encounter and I was on my toes and my fingers hurt afterwards.
    Needless to say, they need to be reworked. I doubt every single person that tried the wizard and all complained about them are all wrong.
  • athrogatheathrogathe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The wizard was for me quite powerful. I did a skirmish at 33++, where we were 3 wizard and no healer, we did 3 singualirites clockwise and harrazed the entire zone. The daily power at that level was refilled every encounter or sometimes 2-3 times per encounter so we could perma stun the encounter. Singularity was imo. the most fun spell the class has to offer, and probably, few saw it as it became available at lvl 35.

I don't see a reason to change that much in the wizard, but I agree that we will most likely see VERY little customization and different builds. When an abbility is obsolete, because others are simply better no matter what, then why have that abbility in the game?

I did enjoy spell mastery very much. Having to choose which spell to put in there was hard. Especially between Repell and Chill Strike. I hope we see some rewamping of skills and more hard choices in the feat tree.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I felt that it needed a medium ranged cone version of Ray of Frost, just to help keep multiple targets off you. Either that, or some form of cone repel that doesn't completely scatter opponents to the four winds.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

The wizard was the most survivable class in the beta. I tanked the pirate guy at the end of the storming the keep as a wizard fairly easily, with just using proper teleport or just moving and using my control and offense spells properly. Enjoyed it the most and it was the class I got the highest in fact in the beta, followed by a guardian fighter.
  • drowessdrowess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would say the wizard feels incomplete. I really hated the class at first, but around level 30 I started liking it. It still needs some work. I don't like the focus on ice. I was so happy to see a lightning spell at level 30, but there is no way to boost lighting in the feats. I would much prefer being arcane and lighting then arcane and ice. And I felt ray of frost was a must for at-wills. I really would like to see some feats that will increase the paragon path powers. I really wanted to boost my lightning over frost. It is as if the paragon paths are more for flavor. It would be nice to see lighting powers that stun or something. I hate ice.

As far as everything else, I have to agree with the majority. We lack crowd control with multiple mobs and aoe. Even the lighting at will seems kinda iffy at doing any aoe damage. But as CW it would be more fitting to have some tiype of control aoe over damage aoe.

Honestly, I really wish they had not gone with a control wizard for a launch class. I really wanted my fireball. I don't like these specific build classes, they are too restrictive.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The wizard was the most survivable class in the beta. I tanked the pirate guy at the end of the storming the keep as a wizard fairly easily, with just using proper teleport or just moving and using my control and offense spells properly. Enjoyed it the most and it was the class I got the highest in fact in the beta, followed by a guardian fighter.

Hey! Welcome back!

I think you are certainly above the average gamer then. The wizard is survivable at low levels, but many times he is constantly dying unless you drink potions like water. No I am not talking about end bosses, end bosses are easy as long as you make strategy. I am talking about death from normal mobs. Compared to cleric, cleric was too easy for most of the game.
  • xdzinxdzin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love Wiz Class but it's broken ... It's a fact !!! :mad:
  • goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So not a fact......

I like that the class has some choice between control and damage. I can slot the more damaging abilities when im Solo, and switch them out for the more control based abilities when im in a group. As for lsurvivability, know your surroundings and use the hell out of your teleport!! I went from lvl 12-16 without using a SINGLE potion. I had 50+ on me by the time i ran the Cloak Tower. You cant just stand there getting hit, wait till they start their wind up, teleport out of there and hit 'em a few times. Just keep that up and you'll be fine.

Same goes with the GF, i hear people talking about chugging potions all the time. Sure, thats one way to do it, but you can also try blocking more often. It works wonders. And big attacks you can still move out of the way of if its going to break through your shield. Its all about adapting to the game as opposed to making the game adapt to you.

This isnt a sit there and spam attacks game. Its one where you avoid as much damage as you can and strike when the opportunity presents itself.

At least thats what i got out of my time playing.
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This was the first beta weekend for the Wizard, so it's very likely we'll see some tweaking. I'd keep up the suggestions on what you liked/didn't like.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • witchzerowitchzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited March 2013
    I also noticed the split personality of the Control Wizard. I found the conflict originating more from Arcane vs. Ice synergy than CC vs. DPS.

Ice has quite a bit of synergy when you get all of your chill powers situated. Once I got a good weapon and figured out Spell Mastery I was drunk with power. Arcane...not as drunk unless I was fighting one target...then it was a toy to be played with. That may be what it was meant to be.

If I had more than a weekend to test it I may be able to really have a coherent opinion! ;)
  • baconstewbaconstew Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lvl 20 (Beta weekend2).

1. CC Control starting at lvl 5-10 if anything have the ice spells actually slow down a mob (but not op'd for pvp)
    2. I thought my CW was a tank from lvl 10-20. Will that be a new paragon? (CW Tank!) ;)
    3. Teleport is nice, but smacking mobs in numbers is too fun. (See #2)
    5. Let me play beta until it is over please!!!! Two more weekends just doesn't give justice. To me this is the carrot on the stick cliche'. :)
  • talen4talen4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    Played the CW to 40 last weekend.

Most fun I've had in an MMO in a long time.

For me, game play changed drastically between 1-30 and 30-40. Around 34~35 solo'ing regular encounters became tricky. More down time between fights as well. Anyway, I agree with those that feel a few "control" tweaks are in order.

Oddly enough, the thing I disliked the most was cosmetic. I dislike the idle two-fingers in the air martial stance. It would be fine as long as after a few seconds of idle the toon would then drop their arm and quit looking like a goof.

As a side note, I'd say anyone who says the game is easy to solo has not played past 30. Game starts to take on a new life, in my opinion, and the fun really starts.