test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do we get fun spells?

kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2013 in The Library
I was just browsing through the Player's Handbook's list of Wizard powers and wondered, will we ever see any of these fun spells in the game? I say fun because they have limited, if any, practical uses in combat in an action mmo. And we all know that action mmos tend to be combat-centric. Anyways, here are just a few spells that caught my interest:
  • Cantrips (Ghost Sound, Ghost Hand, Prestidigitation, Light)
  • Disguise Self
  • Arcane Gate (okay for this one, GW2 and WoW both have spells similar to this, so I know it has some combat practicality)
  • Feather Fall, Jump, Levitate, Fly, Mass Fly (I don't know how much up/down movement the game has, aside from falling. It would be cool to skip stairs and fly up balconies)
  • Mordenkainen's Mansion (just because!)
Post edited by kfmc on

Comments

• aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    I was just browsing through the Player's Handbook's list of Wizard powers and wondered, will we ever see any of these fun spells in the game? I say fun because they have limited, if any, practical uses in combat in an action mmo. And we all know that action mmos tend to be combat-centric. Anyways, here are just a few spells that caught my interest:
    • Cantrips (Ghost Sound, Ghost Hand, Prestidigitation, Light)
    • Disguise Self
    • Arcane Gate (okay for this one, GW2 and WoW both have spells similar to this, so I know it has some combat practicality)
    • Feather Fall, Jump, Levitate, Fly, Mass Fly (I don't know how much up/down movement the game has, aside from falling. It would be cool to skip stairs and fly up balconies)
    • Mordenkainen's Mansion (just because!)

We don't know if we are gonna get wizard and you want Arcane Gate ? :D
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In one of the press demos prior to beta weekend 1, a player asked if we would be able to fly, and the answer was "all the environments and combat is designed with you on the ground." Which means no. No flying.
  • tazrakunetazrakune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited February 2013
    Personally I hope for the spell, Grease. That one combined with a fire-based spell or attack is always fun. Even by itself its still useful.
    JerroldNeverwintersig_zps8ecd4397.jpg
  • exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited February 2013
    some cantrips would be fun i must admit
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It looks like Control Wizards are just Force and Ice so it will be a while for more interesting spells.
  • wradasdsadwradasdsad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I too am very interested and learning about this as well. I hope we get fun spells.
    "It's not who you are underneath, but it's what you do that defines you." - Batman
  • kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    At the very least, I think we should have Feather Fall. That spell could make for some interesting puzzle-type content in the Foundry.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Uhm these don't look like priest spells to me so I dunno. I would love to have cantrips but I believe the only one on your list that would qualify for use would be light.

I would like to have a light spell so one wouldn't need torches.

For further advancement post max level might I suggest they use some of the spells from the Tome of Magic. I know it's 2.5 rules but they could use that system for powerful spells beyond the daily or even water down some of them to make them useful (like Solipsism or Highway or Animal Horde or Preservation or Robe of Healing) Altho I could be jumping the gun a bit since I have yet to see the post level 30 abilities on the charts so. Still one can dream.

I was always interested in the level 1 spells from that book tho, like Anti-Vermin Barrier or Sacred Guardian tho cantrips along those lines would probably too powerful for an mmo.

What would be fun would be some spells that effect stealthed enemies like caltrops or squeeky floors or Thief's Lament ;)
    edited March 2013
    Uhm these don't look like priest spells to me so I dunno. I would love to have cantrips but I believe the only one on your list that would qualify for use would be light.

Those are all Wizard powers from the 4e Player's Handbook. I didn't take a look at the Cleric spells. The spells that I listed, are the ones that, I think, are not direct combat spells. Feather Fall and Levitate, I could see having some interesting gimmick use for getting past dungeon obstacles. And as you mentioned, Light is a must have dungeoneering spell.
  • robbievwrobbievw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally I would like some cantrips or something just fun with no combat application.
    Although I wouldn't mind Elminsters "Iron Ward" either.
    "As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Pipe of cloudkill to smoke at a bar and kill everyone because you forgot it was a pipe of cloudkill sounds about right for a Dwarf Wizard.
    2.jpg
  • zenmuse2zenmuse2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    robbievw wrote: »
    Personally I would like some cantrips or something just fun with no combat application.
    Although I wouldn't mind Elminsters "Iron Ward" either.

I hate to be debbie downer here, but I dont think you guys are being realistic about the mage/wizard class... and are really just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

The mechanics and UI of the game (having only 6 or so skills on various cool downs) doesn't really leave a lot of room for fluff or even 'utility' spells like featerfall. Wizards aren't going to be like DDO or NWN where you have a vast spellbook to choose from. I imagine they will play like the clerics from beta weekend 1.... where even their 'heals' were damage spells.

This game is all about damage and doing it fast.... sadly, I fear the nuances and joys of playing a wizard in DnD are going to be bastardized and simplified in to a more arcade-like version. Your most important/fun spell will be the one that hits the hardest.

I hope im wrong, but after playing bw1 and watching videos of the control wizard... im afraid im not.
  • nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i disagree, i see the control wizard being far more about controlling mobs rather than hitting hard.
  • gothispheregothisphere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What might work is if some of those fun, but not game changing cantrips, like Dancing Lights, were emotes just for magic user classes. Each class could have a few exclusive emotes; i.e. twirling your sword and tossing it in the air for fighters, a brief prayer for clerics, etc.
  • satoresatore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In one of the press demos prior to beta weekend 1, a player asked if we would be able to fly, and the answer was "all the environments and combat is designed with you on the ground." Which means no. No flying.

WoW released without flying, it only took a year or 2 for them to implement it, then improve on it each year. I think Cryptic can pull that off too.
  • doctordoriandoctordorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 75
    edited March 2013
    The wizards do need more spells. And to be able to choose which spells they want as they progress.
    edited March 2013
    zenmuse2 wrote: »
    I hate to be debbie downer here, but I dont think you guys are being realistic about the mage/wizard class... and are really just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

The mechanics and UI of the game (having only 6 or so skills on various cool downs) doesn't really leave a lot of room for fluff or even 'utility' spells like featerfall. Wizards aren't going to be like DDO or NWN where you have a vast spellbook to choose from. I imagine they will play like the clerics from beta weekend 1.... where even their 'heals' were damage spells.

This game is all about damage and doing it fast.... sadly, I fear the nuances and joys of playing a wizard in DnD are going to be bastardized and simplified in to a more arcade-like version. Your most important/fun spell will be the one that hits the hardest.

I hope im wrong, but after playing bw1 and watching videos of the control wizard... im afraid im not.

My impression of weekend 2, yep disappointment. The limited hotkeys is completely set up for combat related spells only, which is a shame really. Some people keep saying how they like these new games (D3, GW2, Neverwinter) and how hotkeys are limited so that we dont have "a dozen buttons to press". But the depressing downside of that is we don't get fluff spells and/or extremely situational spells that are godly in a specific encounter but useless otherwise.

And here I was hoping for things like Levitating over spike traps or Featherfalling down those annoyingly long spiral stairs (better yet, Flying up those annoyingly long spiral stairs).
  • sirglenosirgleno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 75
    edited March 2013
    zenmuse2 wrote: »

Sadly, this. Unless I'm wrong (it did happen once, many years ago) Control Wizards (CW) don't even get a spell book.
    Dystopia - Impact Cleric
    Nyx - Divine Cleric
    Medusa - Brush Wizard
    Spinnerella - Combat Wizard

Don't forget to update the Wiki!
  • ladygoldenorbsladygoldenorbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Definitely some interesting possibilities, here. I'd personally like the ability to disguise myself, I think that would end up being pretty useful!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Really, Feather Fall is a must. Pretty much one of the Core Spells for a DnD game right along with Magic Missile.

Also, do we know if there are specializations with specific Spell Types? If so, Illusion Spells could be REALLY cool. If you could make a spell that really works well with an Illusuion-basis, that would be a win for me!

Plus, even crazier idea: What if you could have some sort of Illusion Spell that actually makes an opposing player's surroundings look different during a PvP setting. Imagine, another PC thinking there is a wall that doesn't really exist!
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What might work is if some of those fun, but not game changing cantrips, like Dancing Lights, were emotes just for magic user classes. Each class could have a few exclusive emotes; i.e. twirling your sword and tossing it in the air for fighters, a brief prayer for clerics, etc.
    If they implemented this, they would have my vote for best emote system in recent games (although perhaps not the best animations or graphics, but hey, its still beta)