test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting: What could be

devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So let me start by saying that I am a fan of crafting, and that I like being able to create, name and customize the things i make. This is why that despite it's faults (of which there are many), I still feel Istaria is one of the best games EVARRR!

Now let's suppose that I don't wanna be an adventurer, let's suppose I wanna be a world renowned crafter who's weapon-smithing is legendary among his peers. See where i'm going with this? I would like crafting not only to be in the game, but to actually be useful throughout all levels of play, I would like to be able to sink lots of time into it and for that to really show.

How it works:

All crafters can make all items of their associated craft from the word go, HOWEVER, the stats you can put on those items will depend on how skillful you are at the given craft.

The material requirements will vary depending on the stats you place on the item. Some stats may be better and so the materials required will be rarer/more numerous to reflect this.

When you have the item type and stats selected, you can then choose from a list of simple cosmetic designs. More extravagant designs will require extra materials and/or a higher craft proficiency.

When you are done with this, you can then choose to name the item or have a name assigned randomly.

And after all is said and done, you get a little colored tag on the bottom that says who made it.

SO! Thoughts?
Post edited by devoneaux on

Comments

• firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That sounds pretty good to me. I suspect the crafting will be somewhat less robust than that, however. But maybe we'll be surprised!
  • devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well here's to hoping a beta player will pass this along and before you know it, everyone has heard of the idea.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am a big time crafts person as well, and I really do think games need to start making crafting for people who are really into crafting, instead of for people who only do it to pass time when they get to end game. So I like/love your ideas. (I forsee those types of things coming in a Sandbox in the future).

That being said, I don't see that type of system in NWO. NWO is at it's core a casual game, so I'd expect a casual crafting system. Probably something akin to RIFT at release, which was actually insulting to the real Crafts people in game. We won't get EQ2,SWG, or Vanguard crafting here, and probably not even LotRO crafting, which to me is pretty casual.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This sounds like an awesome idea! :)
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would love to have interactive crafting similar to EQ2, and Vanguard. I want the chance to create unique high quality items and not just push a button and wait for a timer to run down.
  • hosilockshosilocks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Crafting is one of my favourite passtimes in MMO's and I agree Istaria (Horizons when i played it :) ) had/has brilliant crafting.

I'm not expecting anything that complex in neverwinter though unfortunately but hopefully it will be fun and have a good element of time/reward for those that wish to spend the time and effort in it.

My biggest concern is how they will handle the gathering side to collect the mats required, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)
  • azorylazoryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    I think crafting needs to be taken out of MMO's and redone with a merchant system.

Basically no one is a crafter. You can still harvest materials from the world. You then however have to find a smith to make your weapons and armors. Some smiths might be better than others and some might have special recipes etc.

They then tell you go forth and gather these items to forge the weapons.

In addition, as you hunt long lost dungeon you could have the chance to find rare recipes that you then give to the smith for crafting.

Or you could forgo all that and just be a merchant and collect those items and sell them to other adventures.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hosilocks wrote: »
    Crafting is one of my favourite passtimes in MMO's and I agree Istaria (Horizons when i played it :) ) had/has brilliant crafting.

I'm not expecting anything that complex in neverwinter though unfortunately but hopefully it will be fun and have a good element of time/reward for those that wish to spend the time and effort in it.

My biggest concern is how they will handle the gathering side to collect the mats required, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

Crafting materials were already available in beta weekend one even though we couldn't do anything with them yet. There are skill objects you can interact with using a skill based on class. Sometimes they drop grey vendor trash, sometimes crafting materials, and sometimes they interact with the environment revealing secret doors and such. The Thievery skill is also how you detect and disarm traps. There are consumables you can use to give you another class' skill for 3 minutes.

So far, the skills are
    Fighter - Dungeoneering
    Rogue - Thievery
    Cleric - Religion
    Wizard - Arcana
    ??? - Nature
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Crafting is one of my favorite passtimes. I missed the first beta weekend but I noticed that there were lots of crafting material items people were picking up in their gameplay videos. I can only imagine that there must be a crafting system of some kind on this game. I hope so.
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If NO has skill objects then crafting will probably go the same way as Champions Online.

Here is the official CO page on skill objects - note that there are stay details about an older crafting system that has become obsolete in there as well. However these details should give you an idea of what you might see at the next Beta.

I enjoy this system and my character can often be found wandering about searching for skill objects of the correct level in interesting locations.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    So let me start by saying that I am a fan of crafting, and that I like being able to create, name and customize the things i make. This is why that despite it's faults (of which there are many), I still feel Istaria is one of the best games EVARRR!

Now let's suppose that I don't wanna be an adventurer, let's suppose I wanna be a world renowned crafter who's weapon-smithing is legendary among his peers. See where i'm going with this? I would like crafting not only to be in the game, but to actually be useful throughout all levels of play, I would like to be able to sink lots of time into it and for that to really show.

How it works:

All crafters can make all items of their associated craft from the word go, HOWEVER, the stats you can put on those items will depend on how skillful you are at the given craft.

The material requirements will vary depending on the stats you place on the item. Some stats may be better and so the materials required will be rarer/more numerous to reflect this.

When you have the item type and stats selected, you can then choose from a list of simple cosmetic designs. More extravagant designs will require extra materials and/or a higher craft proficiency.

When you are done with this, you can then choose to name the item or have a name assigned randomly.

And after all is said and done, you get a little colored tag on the bottom that says who made it.

SO! Thoughts?

This is a great idea. And would really fit into the D&D world I think. Every blacksmith can forge something, forging it better and in different designs takes skill. I would just love a crafting system where I could pick what the armor looked like. (Full armor choices, I'm not saying I want to be able to add skulls or roses wherever I wanted. Just a list of armor looks to pick from)
    edited February 2013
    If NO has skill objects then crafting will probably go the same way as Champions Online.

Here is the official CO page on skill objects - note that there are stay details about an older crafting system that has become obsolete in there as well. However these details should give you an idea of what you might see at the next Beta.

I enjoy this system and my character can often be found wandering about searching for skill objects of the correct level in interesting locations.

The problem I had with the way CO did things is that crafting simply was not worth the effort. crafted gear would only rarely be better than the gear you would find/get from questing and yet would require twice the work, maybe this evened out later on, I dunno, but it falls in line with a problem I have with crafting in most MMOs, it needs to be rewarding enough to bother with.
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    The problem I had with the way CO did things is that crafting simply was not worth the effort. crafted gear would only rarely be better than the gear you would find/get from questing and yet would require twice the work, maybe this evened out later on, I dunno, but it falls in line with a problem I have with crafting in most MMOs, it needs to be rewarding enough to bother with.

I quite enjoy it, as I've said before, although my enjoyment might be rather obscure.

Collecting the various items, so I can fuse them once I get a set of five, is far more interesting than collecting EverQuest2 collections and the crafting process itself is also less arduous than EQ2's button bashing.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • mintyfizmintyfiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i love crafting, i consider it an important part of all of my toons.

i just hope that cryptic has more solid systems for crafting than they did in CO and STO, the crafting in those games never relay scratched my crafting itch.
  • somthgelsesomthgelse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited March 2013
    I LOVE CRAFTING and want to give a big bump to this thread.

All the ideas, good, medium, complicated and whatever, are to be considered. Just a note though, a tiny worm of caution that I hope will NOT poison this game as it has so many other games lately. There is a trend to let crafters make really awesome stuff for lower levels, except for endgame. At endgame, you might be able to make one item that rivals raid gear, but that's it. So be careful when you say "I want my effort to show" or "I want to put a lot of work into it" because what that turns into in the real world is, few people actually doing any crafting once they figure out that in the endgame, it doesn't help much and they've just wasted about a month of gameplay perfecting some craft - which would be great if they were a guild leader, but they're not.

There are still some excellent examples of crafts in MMO's out there, crafters that can really make valuable items at endgame... coffee that can level up items that can gain XP for example. Which can only be made with rare drops from farm fields which must be then given to people who can cook with exclusive guild-only recipes - crafting that requires cooperation and perhaps a few alts to work out. I won't mention the game but anyone who's played it knows which one it is by now.

But there are also some brain dead examples out there. Examples where crafted work is purposely nerfed below what can be found in regular drops from endgame creatures because devs are afraid of discouraging play of the "content." Ha, as if. Just try to stop me hack and slashing!

I too would like to craft in this game also, and not to have my craft become a moot point at the endgame level. No crafter deserves that cruelty.

Another related item is a minigame. Most games will have fishing as a minigame, but it's been done to death. How about real stealth? Remember the Thief game? Where you had to really sneak? How about you can develop a proficiency at sneaking? Even if you're not a rogue? Make moving silently a minigame, it was so fun in Thief... killing the torches... flitting from shadow to shadow... maybe make instances out of it.

Or if you don't like that... How about a tavern minigame? Drink a dwarf under the table, or an elf... or an arm wrestling game, or darts.

What would the reward be? Zen? AD? Or just the items that you can buy with Zen?

Edited my spelling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When the going gets tough, the tough get a trusty longsword and get to work!
  • somthgelsesomthgelse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited March 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    This is a great idea. And would really fit into the D&D world I think. Every blacksmith can forge something, forging it better and in different designs takes skill. I would just love a crafting system where I could pick what the armor looked like. (Full armor choices, I'm not saying I want to be able to add skulls or roses wherever I wanted. Just a list of armor looks to pick from)

Go ahead and say it, it's so cooool. Wouldn't it be cool to have a separate artist be the cosmetic decorator of armor and weapon pieces? I don't think any game has ever had that type of crafter before. And it would save so much hassle for development. Since the armor and the cosmetic would be separate parts. Each item could have a cosmetic slot, empty, it could have a regular armor look, chainmail, splint, whatever... but a cosmetic armorer could embellish it and fill that slot with a visual effect, one of a few for the level of the armor (level of the crafter and armor). Armor for example, could accept any effect that is its own level or lower. The cosmetic effects could be applied or sold as a tradeable item between toons.

And a new crafter is born!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When the going gets tough, the tough get a trusty longsword and get to work!
    edited March 2013
    somthgelse wrote: »
    I LOVE CRAFTING and want to give a big bump to this thread.

All the ideas, good, medium, complicated and whatever, are to be considered. Just a note though, a tiny worm of caution that I hope will NOT poison this game as it has so many other games lately. There is a trend to let crafters make really awesome stuff for lower levels, except for endgame. At endgame, you might be able to make one item that rivals raid gear, but that's it. So be careful when you say "I want my effort to show" or "I want to put a lot of work into it" because what that turns into in the real world is, few people actually doing any crafting once they figure out that in the endgame, it doesn't help much and they've just wasted about a month of gameplay perfecting some craft - which would be great if they were a guild leader, but they're not.

There are still some excellent examples of crafts in MMO's out there, crafters that can really make valuable items at endgame... coffee that can level up items that can gain XP for example. Which can only be made with rare drops from farm fields which must be then given to people who can cook with exclusive guild-only recipes - crafting that requires cooperation and perhaps a few alts to work out. I won't mention the game but anyone who's played it knows which one it is by now.

But there are also some brain dead examples out there. Examples where crafted work is purposely nerfed below what can be found in regular drops from endgame creatures because devs are afraid of discouraging play of the "content." Ha, as if. Just try to stop me hack and slashing!

I too would like to craft in this game also, and not to have my craft become a moot point at the endgame level. No crafter deserves that cruelty.

Another related item is a minigame. Most games will have fishing as a minigame, but it's been done to death. How about real stealth? Remember the Thief game? Where you had to really sneak? How about you can develop a proficiency at sneaking? Even if you're not a rogue? Make moving silently a minigame, it was so fun in Thief... killing the torches... flitting from shadow to shadow... maybe make instances out of it.

Or if you don't like that... How about a tavern minigame? Drink a dwarf under the table, or an elf... or an arm wrestling game, or darts.

What would the reward be? Zen? AD? Or just the items that you can buy with Zen?

Edited my spelling.

Well obviously the end gear pieces I can craft should be just as good, maybe slightly worse than the pieces you find in high level dungeons, but here's the kicker, it would have to require resources from those dungeons. Now the reward would be three fold: The item itself, the money you can make from selling it, and the possible fame that could come with being one of the few dedicated crafters who are actually capable of such craft.
  • arbroath1arbroath1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im a huge crafter as well and would love to see a game where a person could be set apart from casual crafters if they put their time in.

I also think there should be a necessity for crafters. For example, if you find a piece of gear in a dungeon, you can't equip that gear until it is worked by a crafter. For instance you loot a sword. You can't use it until a weaponsmith has "balanced" it. A leather tunic can't be equiped until it is "sized" to its owner. Crafters could charge for this service, or do it free for friends, etc.
    Just another way to make crafters an important part of the game world!