test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mount Variation

talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Im not sure if this is a large enough audience to get some points across in the video game world, but I guess u got to start some place. My point here is mount variation. I have only played 1 game that had some mount perks, maybe other games have them also but I wouldnt know. Any way that game was raiderz, I like the little mount dance u could do it was funny if nothin else, and the speed boost but why that was on a 2-3 min timer is beyond my understanding.

The thing that would make me more interested in buying a mount or even finding 1 in game for that matter, would be mount perks. I dont really understand why we have, who knows 20-50 or more mounts in a game where they all do the same thing go from point a. to point b. but look different. Now Im not talking game breaking perks, but just something that makes it stand out more then just looks. I mean for instance 1 game I can think of that just made something cool looking that I didnt ever want to go after is GW2 legendary weapons, sorry if u dont agree with me, but why would I want to work alot for something that was only legendary in looks.... SERIOUSLY.

Any way here is an example that will stop an ongoing rant. The Spider Mount in the hero of the north pack.(it may do this already but I doubt it.) Its a spider so...... Why not give it the ability do something like crawl up a wall with u on it of course, and lets say descend from an over hang like a spider with a web comin out of its butt...

What I guess I am getting at is game developers should b getting to a point where they actually give us a reason to buy something different, not just cause it looks different but cause it actually does somethin different.

So what would u all like to see as mount perks if we could have them that would not break the game ie a 1 shotting fire aoe from a dragon mount lol. Let me know I am interested to read some creativity.=)
Post edited by talonvector on

Comments

• Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Walking on walls is highly likely to break the game, even moreso than shooting fire from a dragon mount. Being able to move in new ways like that means that content designers and map builders have to plan for that.

As an example, the problem is even more pronounced with flying, which is why even DDO, with its unusual fealty to PnP D&D, doesn't include a Flight spell except as an effect cast by an NPC in very specific, isolated, and enclosed zones.

And beyond that, even if it were technically feasible, those sorts of increased and powerful capabilities should not be the purview of real-money items, anyway, unless the mounts are strictly limited to non-combat "safe" zones, which is not the case in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    U know the prob with typing will always b conveying emotion, some 1 will hardly ever get the lightness of a conversation, or of just a casual conversation that dosnt end up in some type of an argument. To clarify.... the spider thing was an IDEA not so much a for sure want, but more of something to get people to understand what I meant about perks. Dont go gettin all technical, its just a conversation. Nice how u put neverwinter in a non evolving box, because of some close minded opinion.
  • Options
    xeiken1xeiken1 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Mount customization would be good enough to me, putting some armor pieces, cosmetics, or even changing some color layers would be awesome, not to mention that's another source of income :D
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now Im not talking game breaking perks

give it the ability do something like crawl up a wall with u on it of course

Those two lines completely contradict each other.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    This discussion was already started, here.

For more info on mount variation, see Here.

But it seems to me, if mounts will have variable "abilities", which you are getting at, then they would need to lose something in return or be very unbalanced.
    Example: Armored Spider mount: Run Speed, 100. Wall Climb speed, 25. Ceiling crawl speed, 10.
    Riding Horse, Piebald: Run Speed 125.
    Armored Warhorse: Run speed, 100. +##% defense when attacked while mounted. Not a Combat Mount.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    U know the prob with typing will always b conveying emotion, some 1 will hardly ever get the lightness of a conversation, or of just a casual conversation that dosnt end up in some type of an argument.

By not ending up "in some type of an argument" all you mean is that you want to express your opinion without others expressing their own differing opinions.

If you just want idle, casual conversation, a "discussion" forum is not where your post belongs.
    To clarify.... the spider thing was an IDEA not so much a for sure want, but more of something to get people to understand what I meant about perks.

And it indeed helped me to understand what you meant about perks.

I think what you mean by perks is not a good idea. Perks should be little (non-power) things like exotic appearance, faster movement in public zones, and unique animations.
    Nice how u put neverwinter in a non evolving box, because of some close minded opinion.

This is not a productive statement. That "argument" you seek to avoid would be much more useful than calling others "closed minded" without any sort of justification or counter-argument.
    daytonamax wrote: »
    But it seems to me, if mounts will have variable "abilities", which you are getting at, then they would need to lose something in return or be very unbalanced.
    Example: Armored Spider mount: Run Speed, 100. Wall Climb speed, 25. Ceiling crawl speed, 10.
    Riding Horse, Piebald: Run Speed 125.
    Armored Warhorse: Run speed, 100. +##% defense when attacked while mounted. Not a Combat Mount.

I don't believe there is any possible way to balance "can climb walls" with "somewhat faster", unless wall climbing is strictly limited to public non-combat zones.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Let them climb on walls unrestricted and then when they are 20' up a wall in game pull aggro on a mob and get dismounted they fall to their death! Bwahahaha! *evil points*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited February 2013
    My dwarf character just really wants a battleboar. It would be sweet if he had some sort of charge attack that would then dismount me and the fight continued on as normal, but I really just don't want to have to use human or drow mounts all game!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    There are going to be Warg, and Bear mounts in the game. Far as I'm concerned a Dwarf on a bear. Trumps a pig.
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    By not ending up "in some type of an argument" all you mean is that you want to express your opinion without others expressing their own differing opinions.

If you just want idle, casual conversation, a "discussion" forum is not where your post belongs.

And it indeed helped me to understand what you meant about perks.

I think what you mean by perks is not a good idea. Perks should be little (non-power) things like exotic appearance, faster movement in public zones, and unique animations.

This is not a productive statement. That "argument" you seek to avoid would be much more useful than calling others "closed minded" without any sort of justification or counter-argument.

I don't believe there is any possible way to balance "can climb walls" with "somewhat faster", unless wall climbing is strictly limited to public non-combat zones.

Plus climbing would cause similar problems as flying mounts for a graphics perspective.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Well that, and they've said they want to keep things on the ground.
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think lifetime STO players should get a special mount that can self destruct.... causing all other mounts nearby to also self destruct and so on and so on in a huge chain reaction.... il be honest its what we where used to for the first month of STO in spacedock