test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you donate money for a good UGC quest?

chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If there was a paypal donate button next to the astral diamond donation button, would you consider donating money instead of astral diamonds if the content was something you enjoyed?

I'm not asking if you would buy it prior to playing, but after you finished it and would like to encourage more content from this author outside of in game currency, just to clarify.
There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
Post edited by chili1179 on

Comments

• gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like that you can donate AD to an author, they can then exchange them for zen.

Not sure i would donate out of game/real money. If the author was really intent on improving the game/ enhancing the community as a whole, then game currency makes more sense..imo.
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    If there was a paypal donate button next to the astral diamond donation button, would you consider donating money instead of astral diamonds if the content was something you enjoyed?

I'm not asking if you would buy it prior to playing, but after you finished it and would like to encourage more content from this author outside of in game currency, just to clarify.

Not a chance. I would however drop a load of AD on the guy if it was good. I'd rather spend RL money in the store for currency, then use that, thereby helping the game as a whole, than risk the chance of someone not using the money I gave them for the benefit of the game.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Not a chance. I would however drop a load of AD on the guy if it was good. I'd rather spend RL money in the store for currency, then use that, thereby helping the game as a whole, than risk the chance of someone not using the money I gave them for the benefit of the game.

Bingo. Besides, it's a game. So why pay people real money when they are ready to work for pixels?
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • draxonflydraxonfly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No I don't think I would, don't mind throwing in some Diamonds or game-gold to them, that way I know the currency stays in the game, but real world coin, I don't think it is a good Idea..
    draxonflynw1.jpg
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would if there quest was immersive, exciting and memorable.

I will definitely be handing all my money to people through the Foundry though! :)
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • vuzetheory904vuzetheory904 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    meldroth wrote: »
    Bingo. Besides, it's a game. So why pay people real money when they are ready to work for pixels?

off-topic I know, but sent you a pm dude.
  • moonmonstermoonmonster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the problem with involving real money is that people will give away their creative endeavors, but once you start paying them, it starts feeling like 'not enough'. Which, logically, isn't sensible, because anything is better than nothing. But if you spent a month putting together an adventure, and got $2.59 in tips, you might be more irritated and less likely to do it again than if you just said 'everyone, enjoy!' and left it at that.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the problem with involving real money is that people will give away their creative endeavors, but once you start paying them, it starts feeling like 'not enough'. Which, logically, isn't sensible, because anything is better than nothing. But if you spent a month putting together an adventure, and got $2.59 in tips, you might be more irritated and less likely to do it again than if you just said 'everyone, enjoy!' and left it at that.

Either way, that could happen with diamonds, you get 100k for example from your first mission, then spend twice as long on the second and get nothing.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • dsmith16dsmith16 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes Absolutely. All you people who said no just don't understand capitalism. Money motivates people. Paying quest authors money would mean better amazing quests because it would be worth someones time to spend a long time building a great quest.
    It is the same reason why games that cost money are usually better than games that don't cost money. Its so darn simple it just annoys me that people don't get it.
    If I had 100,000 people willing to tip me .50 cents for a good quest, I would spend a lot of time and buidl somethign awesome for you guys because that could mean a decent chunk of change. For some astral diamonds, forget about it.
    edited February 2013
    dsmith16 wrote: »
    If I had 100,000 people willing to tip me .50 cents for a good quest, I would spend a lot of time and buidl somethign awesome for you guys because that could mean a decent chunk of change. For some astral diamonds, forget about it.

I would be much more encouraged to work for 50,000 than some diamonds ;)

Either way, I'l still be working my butt off in the Foundry, I drive myself off feedback > money anyday. If people want crazy dragon quest lines, challenge accepted!
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would work hard if I was tipped in game currency, heck I am going to work hard on everyone I make just because thats how I usually do everything in life. Real money isn't going to motivate me either way.

As for actually adding real money as a tip I sure hope they don't, it just seems crazy. If they do then they do, I wouldn't quit over something like that. I wouldn't ever tip someone real cash. I would however tip in game currence if I like the quest or dungeon.
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    money motivates people... uuuh, I will choose to stay on topic than to debate this :D

Well, I don't know if you can revert astral diamonds to real cash?

But if I ever saw the need to get a pay-pal account, I would probably tip 10 cents (euro) for good content.
  • khupa1khupa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 96
    edited February 2013
    If i made a adventure and people tip (Astral diamonds or real $$ money) because they loved the quest :o . you bet i will be doing my best to continue making adventures :cool:
  • lordthrudlordthrud Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No I would not donate cash.

I see the appeal and I can see how it would be a motivating factor for some authors.

But the astral diamonds which I assume will be transferable into Zen which can use to buy more slots for adventures.
    So by donating them to the author you are supporting their continued work.

Along with allowing them to buy in game stuff them selves to boot. Which would have cost cashy money or the authors time in the grind mill to obtain.

More realistically unless the powers that be were getting a slice of the action so to speak, why would they bother with the time, energy and cost to instigate such a system with so little benefit to themselves.

As STO has proved talented authors still put their heart soul and many man or woman hours into their creations without such a thing.
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Considering that STO's Foundry missions have a Dilithium tip option on them at completion, I believe NW will have an AD tip system.

No real money should change hands at all.
  • therealtaltherealtal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    On STO I've tipped good adventures, most of them are entertaining enough to warrant some dilithium for the work the author put in.
    I'll be doing the same on Neverwinter for sure, with the astral diamonds. I'd never tip real money though. Keep it in the game, that's where it belongs. It's not a job.
  • firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If the content was amazing, I would. Like, if Stefan Gagne (holla if you've played his NWN1 modules!) made adventures for Neverwinter, or someone equally talented and creative.
  • theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    therealtal wrote: »
    It's not a job.

This is it exactly, once money gets involved people will start making the game into a job, and a lot will get frustrated at how little they make. Then the people playing the content feel obligated to tip for anything, as if you went to a resteraunt, unless it was just garbage. We then start having the standard tipping amount for a decent campaign, standard amount for a good one, ect.

If we use diamonds only, people will not have any reason to try to depend on the tips to suplement/replace other income, it will ONLY be supporting their gameplay, and most of it would likely go right back into those adventure slots. This encourages the people who enjoy using these systems to continue to do so, without encouraging people who do not, and are not good at it, to try to force their way in on it.

I will say that in CoH there was no tip system at all (except for slight rewards given based on the ranking people gave you), and we had some pretty amazing missions in there still. I still think it is amazingly cool that one person was hired based on the content he created in that system to work as a CoH developer, and having played his story arcs before that decision was made, I can certainly see why.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daytonamax wrote: »
    Considering that STO's Foundry missions have a Dilithium tip option on them at completion, I believe NW will have an AD tip system.

No real money should change hands at all.

I don't think you read the OP.

~~~~

Everyone else: It's a simple question, not a suggestion, no need to put more into the question than what is asked, if it was an option, would you donate real money?
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nope, never.

A strange thing I have noticed is that people don't want to pay for more content, and I am one of those folks. Especially when we can't trust much beyond word of mouth.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I most definitely intend to reward my favorite authors with AD. Particularly authors that are working with our guild and enhancing the RP community as a whole.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My answer is an emphatic NO.

The way I see it, a few 'early bird' creators will rise to the top simply because of exposure and lack of competition -- and authors who come to the game later in the game's lifetime won't even get a chance to compete. See my reasoning for this (based on my COH Mission Architect experience) here.

As it is, the Astral Diamond tips worry me because they can serve to reinforce this even further - incentivizing authors to stay at the top, no matter what it takes - and could even potentially result in griefing. Adding real money to the equation (AD -is- sort of real money, since you can trade it for zen) would make the authoring scene turn ugly very fast.