test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dedicated Roleplaying Server

harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm not sure what the situation will be when the game launches, but I would really like to see a dedicated roleplaying server. Pretty sure there will be roleplayers galore (technically everyone is roleplaying when they play, since it is an RPG lol), but it would be nice to have a place to go with like minded people. I can only assume the Tavern chat would be glorious on a dedicated RP server versus a run of the mill server.
Post edited by harekaze on

Comments

• excise2k5excise2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's planned to have only one server total (well, a couple at launch but then soon merged into 1), so there won't be an RP specific server. On the plus side it means all the RPers will, technically, be on the same server.
  • klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You'll be able to set up private global chat channels and you will be able to use the foundry to make your own private area.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    harekaze wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the situation will be when the game launches, but I would really like to see a dedicated roleplaying server. Pretty sure there will be roleplayers galore (technically everyone is roleplaying when they play, since it is an RPG lol), but it would be nice to have a place to go with like minded people. I can only assume the Tavern chat would be glorious on a dedicated RP server versus a run of the mill server.

beat me to it.. but yah just make a chat channel or use skype or vent
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Member Posts: 818 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    As I understand it it will be like CO and STO where there's one 'global' server and shards of each zone or location. This means no servers in the way you would have on WoW or CoH.

Good news? You cna always find other Rp buddies

Bad News? Trolls can find you and your Rp buddies.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
    A leader of The Blackwatch Defenders
  • harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    As I understand it it will be like CO and STO where there's one 'global' server and shards of each zone or location. This means no servers in the way you would have on WoW or CoH.

Good news? You cna always find other Rp buddies

Bad News? Trolls can find you and your Rp buddies.

That bad news is what I was hoping to avoid... even though people could still come troll by joining the RP server, I think it will be much less frequent if there's a dedicated place for roleplaying.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I haven't actually seen any trolls on the NW forums (for now) which is usually a good sign as you tend to see a few pop up during the development stages. Hopefully we can keep this the way it is and purge the trolls from our lands. Husahhh.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wonder if it is possible for them to have RP instances for each zone. The tech automatically spawns additional instances of zones when they get full, but could they make each zone start with an extra instance labeled RP? So, you would have something like this in the dropdown:

Protector's Enclave #1
    Protector's Enclave #2
    Protector's Enclave RP
  • maverickwerewolfmaverickwerewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited February 2013
    I agree. I've played a lot of other MMORPGs now (WoW, TOR, GW2, etc.), and I always join RP servers... even if I've almost never actually had much good RP going on in those games, unfortunately. I'm sure Neverwinter will do something similar, but I'm eager to see how it'll all turn out.
    Dedicated NWN roleplayer for 7+ years, the Village of Creation (VoC) server
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wish there was a RP server also, but hopefully the community will be good. I've notice the forums are pretty nice, prolly best community i've ever seen waiting on launch of a mmo. I've been part of alot of mmos before launch and I'd have to say I'm just as excited as playing the game as I am with all of you guys.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It was asked and it was denied.

However even without RP server it is ok as other cryptic games show - check out CO. It does not have a separate server but has a very nice set of RP community.
  • skanvakskanvak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's a bit sad because if we don't have a RP server with more rigid rule on naming we will have lot's of "XXXDRizzt DOUDEENN <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" or worst some "IOwn U" as character name which will spoil the fun.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skanvak wrote: »
    That's a bit sad because if we don't have a RP server with more rigid rule on naming we will have lot's of "XXXDRizzt DOUDEENN <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" or worst some "IOwn U" as character name which will spoil the fun.

How do you know teir names if they don't tell you? And if they tell you, ask them why do they have weird outlandish names.
  • voltar77voltar77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would love to see an RP server. In fact there is no game that would make more sense to have an RP server then the game that uses the licence of the product that started it all.

If its true that there are no servers then the following idea would be perfect:

I wonder if it is possible for them to have RP instances for each zone. The tech automatically spawns additional instances of zones when they get full, but could they make each zone start with an extra instance labeled RP? So, you would have something like this in the dropdown:

Protector's Enclave #1
    Protector's Enclave #2
    Protector's Enclave RP
  • zurjekzurjek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Protector's Enclave #1
    Protector's Enclave #2
    Protector's Enclave RP

This would be ideal. I prefer there to be only one server, because then you don't have to worry about splitting up your characters, friends being on different servers and having to transfer, and all the other headaches that come with it. Instead it should be one large server as they intend with RP instances as you suggested..
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If given a choice, I always prefer designated RP servers. But there's no choice, Cryptic uses zone instancing to parse out its traffic.

It has strengths and weaknesses, that have been outlined here already.

RP can still thrive in a Cryptic game, as gillrmn rightly pointed out Champions had a thriving RP community. Indeed, it was one of most creative and "drama free" RP communities I've come across. I believe STO had a great RP community as well, but I can't speak to that personally.

The bottom line is the RP Community needs to work with that it has. The Cryptic game design can facilitate superb RP. I have no doubt that with the Foundry and the fact this game is clearly Dungeons & Dragons in style and approach, the RP Community in this game is going to thrive.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have always played on RP servers when they are available and every single time it has been worthless. As nice as the fantasy of a RP is it requires far to much administration for it to actually work. There are always people making characters with non role playing names, not role playing in chat and being a general idiot. I gave up on RP servers a long time ago. They are the Bigfoot of the MMO world.
  • voltar77voltar77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    I have always played on RP servers when they are available and every single time it has been worthless. As nice as the fantasy of a RP is it requires far to much administration for it to actually work. There are always people making characters with non role playing names, not role playing in chat and being a general idiot. I gave up on RP servers a long time ago. They are the Bigfoot of the MMO world.

I think whats wrong of your approach is that you want utopia and perfectionism. For example there are tons of people out there that don't do sports. That go straight from work to home and sit at couch and watch tv. Literally millions, perhaps even billions of people don't spend time and effort at doing any sports.

Does that mean you should give up on sports altogether? Of course not, because there are also many, many people who do like sports. So seek them out and work that body!

It's the same with RP. Stop worrying about the thousands of people who don't RP. Stop worrying about the people with weird names. Just as people who don't like sports, who don't take it seriously or even hate sports shouldn't stop you from doing sports, people who don't like RP, don't take it seriously or even hate it shouldn't stop you from doing RP.

In all the major games there are RP servers that literally have thousands of roleplayers that do make serious characters with serious name, put effort in their storylines and backgrounds and in roleplaying with you. There are more roleplayers to adventure with than you can ever meet in your life. So RP with them, and stop worrying about the people who come to RP servers that don't RP or even care about RP. Ignore them and stop worrying about them. Just as that there is no reason to stop working out or doing any form of sports just because many people don't like to do sports, the same goes for RP.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    I have always played on RP servers when they are available and every single time it has been worthless.

Well experiences vary and I think it's important that we all have different taste and expectations. I don't doubt your poor experiences, they do happen in RP, they certainly have happened to me.

But I would point to Landroval, Virtue and Shadow Council as examples of RP-designated servers that have (or had) superb RP communities.

I could also point to Champions as having a great RP community, despite the fact it's all played on one heavily-instanced server.

Some RP servers and communities go south, I think the Warhammer RP community got off on the wrong foot immediately, I think SWTOR began to suffer a little as people abandoned the game and for me, it was never the same after the server-merger. Others will tell you RP is better than ever in SWTOR. I made mistakes in that game, that most certainly hampered my enjoyment later.

TSW has excellent RP, despite it being a shard system and despite the fact one of those shards is considered the "RP shard".

For me, there's a lot of variables that produce good RP, but whether there's an exclusive RP designated server isn't one of them.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!