test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dwarven beards

doomhammer4doomhammer4 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In past Neverwinter games, dwarves had ridicilously un-dwarven beards. Always had to get some addons that add proper beards. Hope this will not be the case here.
This post is very simple, but I'm sure any dwarf fans will agree on the importance of dwarven beards.
No fancy stylish short or weird beards.

Give us some epic dwarven long beards.

That's about it.
Post edited by doomhammer4 on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    sorry but what is an dwarven beard? You beards which lord of the rings showed in movie that dwarves have? Or the nordic(viking) looking ones which games use to show dwarves?
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe he is talking about the kinds of beards dwarves have in Forsaken World.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Warhammer Online had the "best" looking dwarves of all games I played.
    Dwarves as how they're supposed to be!
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    LOTRO has some decent looking dwarven beards as well but true. Dwarven beards needs to be respected!
    I am inactive and I know it
    edited June 2012
    klangeddin wrote: »
    Warhammer Online had the "best" looking dwarves of all games I played.
    Dwarves as how they're supposed to be!

And best looking clerics too :)
    Though they were called marines...
  • criticalwitcriticalwit Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Indeed! I have always been disapointed in dwarven beards in most games. And even the few that have good ones only have a few options, which is a shame because you can tell a lot about a dwarf by his beard.
    edited June 2012
    Forgot ... this goes to my ideas thread - character cutomisation - dwarven beards
    :p
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Since 4e, dwarves aren't required to have beards (including women as all the other races breathed a sigh of relief.) That written, dwarves with beards should have magnificent ones. I can't decide if the "Lord of the Rings vs ZZ Top" is a good idea or not (whatever response may get me the entire Tolkien fan-base vs the entire state of Texas after me) but here are classic representations of dwarves with a traditional beard. Kudos to the "humans" who dressed up like this to show the versatility of those mouth cozies :D

And for those who demand "complete fiction," here's a drawing of a "real dwarf."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lornnelornne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Dwarven Beards should be long, and robust. That said they should posses a certain style, for example braids that would mimic ancient Celtic/Nordic symbolism, with jewelry...not gaudy Jewelry, but maybe shaped bone pieces, small Gems from their mining exploits.

A Dwarven beard should display its status in Dwarven society, and his/her rank in the clan.

Notice I said her, most of all, Dwarven women should also be able to have beards.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    Yup something to grab onto and pull over their head while you kick them in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. b:laugh

Also more flammable kindling.
    edited June 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Yup something to grab onto and pull over their head while you kick them in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. b:laugh

My mind is doing tricks on me... time and again I am reading flammable <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in your post ... maybe dwarves eat too much food i guess.
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    vangald wrote: »

They also need beards cause how they would otherwise get furious? Every dwarf gets furious when hes beard is getting burned or slashed!
    I am inactive and I know it
  • draygothdraygoth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I can't agree enough to all the posts, minus the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kicking and flamming ones. :)
  • xarkocznwnxarkocznwn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *casting reanimate thread* OK let me do a little necro here. I found this thread from some time ago and I feel it's good time to bring it back. I've watched some videos of char creation from last beta weekend and Im not AT ALL satisfied with dwarven beards options as they are now. Game is of course in beta and I hope we will see some more additions to char creator, but please.. we DO need some proper dwarven beards ! SRSLY GUISE !
  • karischkarisch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am just sad that yet another game didn't let me have a beard on my female dwarf

/cry
    Sarcastic Malevolence
    Recruitment is CLOSED!!
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    More power to the beards!
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • moofoemoofoe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    YES!!! we need more epic dwarf beards!!!!! (and they need to fix clipping issues also !!!)
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Next, in Neverwinter CStore: Dwarven Beards!!! (for males and, old school, females);)
  • elthuzarelthuzar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I agree that Warhammer Online had the best dwarven beards I have seen yet, Lord of the Rings online came in second place, but still worthy. Let us not neglect the human beard either, I vote for ZZ Top human beards (everyone will want a long bearded wizard no?) and good thick plaited dwarven beards, plaits, knots, filled with trinkets and the mead from breakfast.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I love a big ol' beard, remember; not all Dwarves wore a long beard. Several legendary smiths wore short groomed beards due to working the forges, and I know of at least one great Dwarven hero that shaved his own beard, and hair out of shame. Just say no to stereotypes. :)
  • xarkocznwnxarkocznwn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    While I love a big ol' beard, remember; not all Dwarves wore a long beard. Several legendary smiths wore short groomed beards due to working the forges, and I know of at least one great Dwarven hero that shaved his own beard, and hair out of shame. Just say no to stereotypes. :)

But that's exactly what is char creator full of atm. Shaved, number if short beards and maybe 1 -2 sort of medium beards. If these were the only options at launch, I would rather not play dwarf at all, even tho it's my favourite race.
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    OK, I am pissing my pants hoping that cryptic reads this thread and post. Do you guys realize that we have a unike situation here?

After so many years of arguing, we can finally get data on one of fantasys biggest arguments. TRUE data.
    If it costs 5 dollars, nah, 10 dollars to get the option of making a female bearded dwarf, only those that really consider dwarfs to be gender neutral when it comes to beards, will pay it. But they WILL pay it.

Seriously, refund people afterwards, or something. But I would LOVE data on this.

Experiment: Do popular culture consider female dwarfs to have beards?
    Reason: To settle the argument and allow dwarfen fans their true version of what a dwarf is.
    Population: Players of NWO who has atleast 1 dwarf above lvl 30

Method: By launching the game with female dwarfs beardless, and then offering the chance to have a beard for the cost of 10 dollar, the idea is that only those that truly need a female beard, will pay the cash. But considering the heated debate this issue has had over the years, they WILL pay it.

All traditional statistical data connected with quantitative studies are calculated.

Control group: There are always those that love a bearded lady. to make sure that this does not contaminate the results, cryptic allows halflings the same option.

To further make sure that there are no contaminations, once a player has bought the add-on, all the female dwarfs that player sees will be wearing beards. (client based, not server-based.)

I am not kidding, this chance might never come again!
  • hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Give me beards or give me death!

And not human beards. DWARF beards. Beards that are so magnificent and robust that when they are struck by lightning they strike back.
  • lordthrudlordthrud Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As long as there is a decent beard stylist in the city.

I will be a happy, stout, vertically challenged Orc basher.

Yes for epic beards.

:-)
  • belzubbelzub Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Dwarf beards are as epic they can be. I really hope there are some in NWO that are simillar to Warhammer's.
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'd say Dwarven women should have beards but it should always be a Dwarves' right to choose.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • keldinnlkeldinnl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited February 2013
    belzub wrote: »
    I really hope there are some in NWO that are simillar to Warhammer's.

Yup, I hope so too!
  • belzubbelzub Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    I just saw bogotters vids on cc for all races and I must say that not only is the dwarf beard options lacking but the overall cc is lacking. The characters even look really wierd at times especially the eyes, doesnt matter wich color you choose for the eyes it still looks the same. Man come to think of it the CC is really bad imo. Im not talking about the amount of sliders but the looks are bad. Reminds me of cc in single players games 10 years ago. Really lacking when compared to other mmo's like GW2, Tera and the upcoming games like Wildstar and TESO.

Meh and it probably is too late to fix it wich makes me sad.