test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HC style foundry adventure feedback

chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello folks, as a former long time DM and modder for NWN 1&2, I am excitedly awaiting this game to go open beta/live so I can dig my grubby hands into the foundry and churn out some adventures for the masses that were popular in my pnp and NWN days.

One of which is a Hard Core style dungeon test of skill. By HC I mean if you died in the dungeon, you had to start all over again, everything is reset so no taking up where you left off, if you die on the last boss, you have to do it all over again from the beginning.

It was great in pnp and well received in NWN 1 & 2 in the persistent world I helped to shape. But I want a feel for what you guys think.

I want to get your feedback before planning this all out only to find that most people hate the idea or worse, hate it and rate it badly once it's live.

Would something like this be of interest for you as a player?
There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
Post edited by chili1179 on

Comments

• Options
    readymealreadymeal Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2013
    unfortunately, i don t believe you will be able to do that. customization is not the same as in NWN1&2, the foundry is more a lego game where everything is prefab by the game developers...if it s not there you can t have it or even less make it. second there s a kind of auto leveling...so even if you put powerful creatures, they are going to be about the same level as any players trying your adventure. a level 10 or 30 should have the same chances to finish it... you don t really decide of the difficulty of your adventure basically by picking one type of creature over another.... however you can play on the number of mobs to make it harder... Hope that help.
  • Options
    kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    I think I heard about people forgetting to put campfires in their foundry creations mentioned somewhere before, and that it was at least an inconvenience. I thought they acted as sort of a re-spawn/regen point and not so much a "save progress up to this point". Also can't adventurers re-spawn after they die and run back to the boss (or at least re-spawn even if they can't re-join the fight) without waiting for everyone else to die? If so, I'd imagine that your mechanic probably wouldn't be supported in the game let alone the foundry content.

It sounds like a really cool idea though. I'd really like to play more challenging content like that. It'd be very frustrating to make your way through a 30-60 minute dungeon, wipe, then have to clear the area again to get the reward rather than in WoW simply running back to re-engage the boss.
  • Options
    wonkywonderwonkywonder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it is possible I would certainly play it!
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You should be able to manage it with a single respawn point (at the default spawn), an event triggered wall-off (spawn a barrier between the spawn and the content after reaching a location) and a location triggered dialog at the default spawn that tells you that you have been defeated and must leave the quest to restart.

Just make sure you clearly describe it in the description. I'd rate very poorly if I went into a mission thinking that it was normal, and found out that I had to restart it because I died, but if I went in knowing what it was, I wouldn't be upset about it doing what it said it would do.
  • Options
    galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sure if you could do it, i don't know the limitation of the foundry but it sounds a bit too hard to do, as far as i know from public information you cant alter the monster stats besides just adding them and set them to a certain difficulty
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It goes without saying that this whole idea depends on the foundry's limitations and just how flexible it allows the authors to be. I assume it will allow people to do pretty much anything that is currently in the game aside from altering non-instanced areas like protector's enclave. We'll have to see.

Also, of course I would put in the description of the adventure the rules that would apply if I was able to create such content, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone into thinking its something its not and end up getting a poor rating because of it.

The foundry is the one thing I am most anticipated about. I have a plethora of other adventure ideas that will also get made, I just wanted to see where the players stood on this type of content before I planned it out on paper to fit with this setting.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.