test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chances for Monk class?

ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
Just speculation at this point, but what do you think the chances are post-launch, and how much do you care?
Post edited by ivanthehare on

Comments

• popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    good. just don't expect it for a while. And to answer your last question. I care a lot. I'd like to see all classes implemented eventually.
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited February 2013
    Just speculation at this point, but what do you think the chances are post-launch, and how much do you care?

Chances are low soon after launch.
    Chances are high somehwere in the middle to distant future.

How much do I care? More than is healthy!!!

(My EQ monk was born with the release of Kunark -- and it's been my favorite class ever since then.)
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Member Posts: 818 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Ha! I started my EQ monk long before Kunark :P johnny come lately..

But yea, would be nice, but don't get your hopes up

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
    A leader of The Blackwatch Defenders
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hopefully eventually, as with all the classes and races that we all love and want.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I expect Archer Ranger, Scourge Warlock, some form of bard, some kind of Druid, the two-weapon Ranger, maybe monk after those. But If you really want it just keep talking about it.

If yall havent listened to the new episode of the NOCS with our interview with And and Craig and Mapolis. Craig actually said, "What Classes do you guys wanna see, we'll build that stuff...".
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Craig actually said, "What Classes do you guys wanna see, we'll build that stuff..."

That was the important bit for me. Let's hope it will be like the reverse Field of Dreams.

"If you ask for content, they will build it."

Just don't spam the forums too much, kay? ;)
    edited February 2013
    Never hurts to ask of course ^^

In game as @forgemccain
  • ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Indeed. It was more of a discussion starter, TBH. Just wanted to see what the interest level is on Monks. My circle of friends hate monks for some reason, but it's my favorite class. :P

Stabbing is cool and all, but there's nothing more satisfying than punching Orcs in the face, and living to tell the tale.
  • voltar77voltar77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm really hoping for Bard.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I didn't care for monks in second edition but I was won over after third edition.

I would run a monk in a heartbeat if they added it in....and considering Cryptic's artistic ability I think the monk would not only be one of the most enjoyable classes to play but the best looking.
    edited February 2013
    I didn't care for monks in second edition but I was won over after third edition.

I would run a monk in a heartbeat if they added it in....and considering Cryptic's artistic ability I think the monk would not only be one of the most enjoyable classes to play but the best looking.

I agree, which makes me again wonder.. why two fighters? When we could have more variety

In game as @forgemccain
    edited February 2013
    Because they just happened to be done first?

They are working on more even as we speak, these just happened to get finished first. In the NOC's Show Crypticmapolis actually said the Wizard has had four major revamps based on Alpha Test Feedback and it's likely why the Beta Players weren't given an option to play one during the First Beta Weekend.

Anything at this point is pure speculation but it's clear from that statement they are making sure each class is done correctly. That means more to me than an initial launch variety.
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The chances of a DnD Monk class being represented directly correlate to how many people buy stuff from the C-Store, and how much those people buy. This is because that's where any classes not featured at launch are the most likely to be procured from.
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited February 2013

Anything at this point is pure speculation but it's clear from that statement they are making sure each class is done correctly. That means more to me than an initial launch variety.

Agreed. I try to keep my expectations in check for any game, but I'm optimistic that they seem to be focusing on quality over quantity (on many aspects of the game.)

/happy
    edited February 2013

They are working on more even as we speak, these just happened to get finished first. In the NOC's Show Crypticmapolis actually said the Wizard has had four major revamps based on Alpha Test Feedback and it's likely why the Beta Players weren't given an option to play one during the First Beta Weekend.

Okay I can see that.

But still at some point someone said;

"Okay we got one fighter done."

"Right, what class do we polish off next?"

"No.. no.. we need Another fighter."

"What really?.. but all these others aren't done yet.."

"Trust me, repetition will be great!"

In game as @forgemccain
    edited February 2013
    Eh, I'm looking at it in the regards that the Guardian Fighter and GWF are in some regards a very similar class. If they balanced one it might not take much more to balance the other while a Control Wizard and/or Archer play completely differently than the Fighters, Trickster Rogue or Devote Cleric. It's entirely possible some other much desired classes which are being developed might not have worked out as well as initially intended.
    Obviously we know that the Wizard has been giving them some major development issues even after reaching Alpha and while we do know they will only launch with 5 we also know they are working on a few others that have not been announced.

All I am saying is the development isn't linear. There's not an entire team devoted to doing one class, finishing, then doing the next. There are/were multiple different classes being worked on at one time and the Guardian Fighter and Great Weapon Fighter just happened to get cleared through both internal Dev Testing and Alpha Testing before the rest.
    edited February 2013
    Sure, that sounds fine. It just seems strange that they got the 'tank' fighter done and went ahead and spent resources on yet another fighter, no mater how little when another class, even the wiz would have been a better use of that time.

OTOH this worries me, if even now, a year delayed, the wizard wasn't ready... >.>

In game as @forgemccain
    edited February 2013
    Yeah but that's with kind of a vitamin mentallity. The right amount of a good thing is good...but more is better.

I don't know specifically how they develop classes but it's entirely possible that it wouldn't make more sense to throw more people on to a different class just to help it's development.For all we know it could be ten people designing ten classes yet only three have finished enough to get to beta and five got to alpha leaving five in internal development. Those who reached beta could be working on three more classes as we speak or could be overseeing final polish on the classes...

All this is hypothetical...
    I am just pointing out from my own personal development experience that there is absolutely no reason to assume that other classes are being neglected because some are released and others are not. For instance the Control Wizard was publicly announced long before the Devote Cleric yet the Devote Cleric is in beta while the Control Wizard is not.
    There's no reason to assume they chose to say 'forget working on the Ranger and/or Archer, let's do the GWF first.'

It's all a matter of what was easier to develop and brought up to standards during the development stages faster.

P.S. They thought the wizard was ready when they announced him. Alpha Testers must have said otherwise. ;)
    edited February 2013
    It's not that anyone's saying any class is being neglected - we believe there's no reason for two Fighters IN THE FIRST PLACE. At no point should it ever have been thought as a good idea to make two Fighter classes at the same time. GWF should have been one of the classes not in at launch, replaced by the Ranger.

Say what you want about "some classes develop faster." Two Fighter classes shouldn't have developed side-by-side, period. If they were working on ten classes, and five got bumped, the Great Weapon Fighter should have been one of the classes bumped instead of the Ranger.
  • ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's my understanding that these are broken down similarly to the classes in 4e. But seeing as I'm not familiar with 4e, it feels to me like you're picking a build more than a class. For example, you want to play a fighter, huh? Well, do you want to play a S&B fighter, or a 2h fighter? I like to think the two were developed simultaneously as if one, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were polished together. Hence why one is in the beta and the other isn't.

It terms of fighters, I'm more interested in whether they get to use weapons other than swords. Like maces, or axes. I like axes.
    edited February 2013
    It's my understanding that these are broken down similarly to the classes in 4e. But seeing as I'm not familiar with 4e, it feels to me like you're picking a build more than a class.

That's exactly it - you're choosing your class and build at character creation, unlike in the PnP game where the build is devised organically as you level.
    For example, you want to play a fighter, huh? Well, do you want to play a S&B fighter, or a 2h fighter? I like to think the two were developed simultaneously as if one, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were polished together. Hence why one is in the beta and the other isn't.

Which merely reinforces the idea that the GWF should have been scrubbed for a post-launch release so that the Ranger could be included at launch.
    It terms of fighters, I'm more interested in whether they get to use weapons other than swords. Like maces, or axes. I like axes.

Only swords at the present time, yet nothing seems to point to them changing this any time soon. However, if they did change it, it's doubtful there'd be any difference in-game outside of what the model of the weapon your character uses.
  • granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would like to see the Monk. I think it's realistic to see it in game in somewhere to the one to three year range.

It has a few things going against it coming out sooner.

PHB 1 Classes being implemented first. And possibly two builds for each of them.

Swordmage being implemented before Monk.

A high demand for PHB 2 classes being implemented. (Look at the demand for Bards and Druids.)

Animations for martial arts and monk weapons have to be made.

for some silly reason Monks are now Psionic, not that this necessarily means you wont see them or a delay to them coming out. But worst case scenario the development team wants to incorporate psionic classes at the same time, or ignore them all together.

Finally i'm not sure if monks had a large home in the Forgotten Relams setting or not. My only familiarity with them was Pwent Holyfist who I believe is actually some kind of fighter.

But I would like to see them in the game.
  • mackflymackfly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think monk and paladin will be the last implemented classes because they are simply strong. If you take the strenghtes of the classes away they are simple stupid gruntz. All the GREAT passive effects monks and palas get will be to much for that kind of game or evene useless. A Monk who moves 10 times faster then every other char and stand still for fighting.... lawl ^^. Immunitys to poison fear illness and so on... There are many things that might be hard to implement regarding paladin and monk.

Most important, at least for me, all that psi stuff should never have been released. I loved the crossclassing features of D6D untill that psi monk total offbalnced Sh*t come out. I realy hope we wont see this stuff ingame, but thats only my personal oppinion.

More fun will be "petclasses" :D . Ranger and druid will be spectacular in case of balancing. DnD wise we have a ranger whos shooting arrows like a mg with a pet you can feat till it eat every warrior no matter how he is build. How will you implement this in the game? Hopefully never ;) .
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I had a monk in classic EQ too, though he didnt get much past levle 20 for a long time, this was because i fopund shaman class and loved it, I even got a pet, though I also like druid got him up too....then much later they brought out a beastlord ...its a shaman/monk pet class....what more can you ask for:) did eventually level monk higher but never to end.
    Anyway I like to see not in any particular order, monk, shaman, beastlord type, necromancer, beserker, ranger bow and 2 weapon versions maybe with pet, paladin, druid + pet, deathknight:) and loads more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • vofenn1vofenn1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OMG yes, I will pay cold hard cash for a monk class and will probably never stop playing this game.