test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion concerning Skills

cerowlawlcerowlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys,

I am really thrilled for this game, but as I am someone who loves to customize his own character I wasn't quite satisfied to hear that at the moment you get a Skill depending on your choice of class.

As I understand it, you get Dungeoneering as a Fighter, Thievery as a Rogue, and so on.
My suggestion would be to let you choose your Skill regardless of the class.
Maybe my fighter is very religious or has a special sense for Arcane stuff or was brought up by a member of the local thieves guild. I think it would be a simple way to allow for more customization without hurting game balance too much. If you do want the signature skill of your class you can still choose it, so no drawbacks there.

I know it is not gamebreaking as the skills have a minor impact and can be gained by using consumables anyway, but in my opinion having the choice would be better :)

What do you think of this?
Post edited by cerowlawl on

Comments

• Options
    frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cerowlawl wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am really thrilled for this game, but as I am someone who loves to customize his own character I wasn't quite satisfied to hear that at the moment you get a Skill depending on your choice of class.

As I understand it, you get Dungeoneering as a Fighter, Thievery as a Rogue, and so on.
    My suggestion would be to let you choose your Skill regardless of the class.
    Maybe my fighter is very religious or has a special sense for Arcane stuff or was brought up by a member of the local thieves guild. I think it would be a simple way to allow for more customization without hurting game balance too much. If you do want the signature skill of your class you can still choose it, so no drawbacks there.

I know it is not gamebreaking as the skills have a minor impact and can be gained by using consumables anyway, but in my opinion having the choice would be better :)

What do you think of this?

I have not participated in beta, but perhaps the reasoning behind this is the loot within specific chests requiring these skills is more in line with the class opening it. Might get rather lame early on for a wizard to keep looting cleric items they otherwise could have used if they had taken the arcane skill instead.

minor point later on when u can afford stacks of needed supplys, but more than likely priceless early on when trying to gear up off of drops alone.
  • Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    sorry to disapoint, but this is dungeons and dragons, and not elder scrolls. personally i prefere a more strict class system way over free systems like in elder scrolls games.
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    raugar wrote: »
    sorry to disapoint, but this is dungeons and dragons, and not elder scrolls. personally i prefere a more strict class system way over free systems like in elder scrolls games.
    Never heard of things like the Able Learner feat or multi-classing?
  • Options
    skinneykrnskinneykrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    You can buy these little items from all general merchants in the game for dirt cheap that will give you a 3 minute buff allowing you to use each of those skills.

There's an item for each skill.
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    TC, research the Archetypes that Cryptic uses in Champions Online. You'll notice NW's classes are pretty much carbon copies.
  • Options
    huntresslilithhuntresslilith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
    edited February 2013
    TC, research the Archetypes that Cryptic uses in Champions Online. You'll notice NW's classes are pretty much carbon copies.

Not exactly, while there are some similarities because it's using the same engine as that game if you actually have played 4th edition D&D you'd recognize there are a lot of things about the classes here that are exactly like those in the tabletop. The only difference is they have split the different builds up in the class selection as if they are separate classes rather than Choosing Fighter class and then the build after choosing class.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Not exactly, while there are some similarities because it's using the same engine as that game if you actually have played 4th edition D&D you'd recognize there are a lot of things about the classes here that are exactly like those in the tabletop. The only difference is they have split the different builds up in the class selection as if they are separate classes rather than Choosing Fighter class and then the build after choosing class.

The changes make 4e's classes for NW makes them far closer to AT's than you let on - only two stats mean anything to any character in this game, just like in AT's. You can't choose your feats or powers, just like AT's. This is due to what you described - them making each build tree its own class removes almost any and every amount of character customization to be had in 4e.

As a matter of fact, the only real difference is the fact that in CO, you have far more active abilities available to you at any given time, along with the ability to keep the look of your character throughout the game, regardless of equipment.
  • Options
    vrtnipatuljakvrtnipatuljak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013

Actually they are nothing like D&D classes apart from the visuals and ability names. Because it has no d20 system in it and instead uses the Champions one :/
  • Options
    vrtnipatuljakvrtnipatuljak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013

The game has consumables that grant you the skill of a nother class for 3 minutes and you can buy them for copper at any vendor. I don't see whats strict about that. I would prefer strict myself but that would require actual D&D rules in the game ;)
  • Options
    cerowlawlcerowlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, interesting bits about Champions Online here, but that wasn't really the point of the whole story.

Although they may use a similar class system I don't get why this should restrict skills to certain classes (it should be fairly easy to implement it even in the current engine).

If you have read my initial post I said that I knew about the consumables, but that doesn't relate to my argument for more customization really. My point is not about the gameplay or balance but rather about how I want my character to be like, to add to the already pretty awesome visual and background choices.

Concerning strict system and D&D, I WANT this to be as close to D&D as possible. In D&D I can choose the skills that my character should learn and I can create very unusual characters this way, which I really like.
    And concerning class related loot, afaik the most important Class related Stuff in the beginning is picked up through your Quests anyway (which return loot based on your class), so you shouldn't be too hurt by a different skill. And you can still make it so that there is a recommended skill for each class, just point it our during character creation when you have to choose a skill.

I really don't see a valid reason to stick with the current system other than avoiding the effort to make the necessary changes for it.
  • Options
    kormaikormai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    Just be patient, alot has yet to be released.
    How will crafting be, maybe there will be a skill system who knows. they havent released any details bout it yet though
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    kormai wrote: »
    Just be patient, alot has yet to be released.
    How will crafting be, maybe there will be a skill system who knows. they havent released any details bout it yet though

The game will be launching pretty quickly - perhaps they should announce that.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Sorry to disappoint you but this isn't dungeons and dragons. It's D&D inspired but certainly not D&D like it should be and in real D&D one can invest to be a religious rogue or whatever oddity one wants to be.

Also the fact that you can easily break the rule by buying a cross class skill buff contradicts your comment.
  • Options
    mrandersonmranderson Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sure, that could be a good diea