test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Early 2013 Release date?

voultairevoultaire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello,

Everywhere I have looked it says the game is slated for an Early 2013 release date. But after listening to a lot of the live streams and playing the beta. I heard that the game still has some stages of early alpha (crafting) which I would assume would push the game out to late 2013.

So my question is, does anyone know or has anyone heard officially when the game comes out? I would assume Early 2013 is Q1. How far is the game? Was the Beta we played a very early beta version or near completed version? I have looked everywhere and there isnt much detail on much of the game especially since the game is supposed to come out early 2013. Such as no details on pvp, crafting, or endgame. Each of the livestreams/podcasts Cryptic is not able to talk about these features, perhaps someone here can shed some light on any of the questions I have with source material?

Thanks,

The FAQ had some information but its out-dated.

Update: 8/21/2012: No, the game is scheduled to be released sometime in early 2013. Open Beta may start as early as the beginning of Fall 2012 or December 2012, but no date has been comfirmed at the time. Please be advised this early date was from a PR Newswire press release article and the later date mentioned once as a possibility by Cryptic's COO. The delay to early 2013 was done for further polishing and including PVP at launch rather than delay features until 2013 after launch in 2012. More information can be read via a docx form on the following Neverwinter Fact Sheet released August 15, 2012. If any registered Beta Key users are able to download anything, this is no indication the game servers are loading users or the beta is even starting yet. Keep checking the Official FAQ for more official information on the game's release, and see the Beta questions below!

Hey, wasn't this supposed to be released in November 2011? What Gives?!

Update: 8/21/2012: Cryptic retooled the game from a "Co-Op" to a "MMO" after Atari sold the Cryptic company to Perfect World Entertainment (or PWE.) This was considered a positive move by the companies and is detailed in the June 2012 Gamasutra article. Also, see the next question.
Post edited by voultaire on

Comments

• Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They're stress testing (paid beta = stress testing stage). They'll probably load up a quick and nasty crafting system (something involving the RNG) and buying items from cash shop/hoping for a rare drop, those items being to ensure you don't de-level your + on the gear.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A crafting system likely won't be too in depth or take too long to put in- I don't think the game's far out- if paid closed beta is ending end of march, expect open beta sometime in April- I'd be shocked if the game didn't come out in May
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voultairevoultaire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well If it came out in May then that would be Mid 2013 :) I am curious, as to why we havent heard anything official since we are supposedly so close to launch. Last official update was August 2012
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Early does not necessarily imply Q1. From the current state of the game, I am thinking Q2. Hopefully we will have a clearer idea by the end of the 3rd beta weekend.
  • Options
    mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would expect Cryptic to not say anything until they have finished the closed beta stage and have a good handle on the state of the game. Since it is free to play it's not like they are having to push out boxes to stores and do big marketing pushes for release day sales numbers.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That would make sense Mokah, I guess I am more familiar with game launching have a box release date. I assume if the next two beta's work out real well, its just a matter of flipping the switch to turn on the game for everyone. Here is hoping that the next two beta's will be highly successful so we can get playing ASAP.
  • Options
    volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They must release before Elder Scrolls Online comes, simple as that. This is most important thing - good timing.
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • Options
    mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm pretty sure ESO is not any competition for NWO since both games are vastly different and ESO is subscription based. NWO's main competition is really itself.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mokah wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure ESO is not any competition for NWO since both games are vastly different and ESO is subscription based. NWO's main competition is really itself.

They may be two different games but don't kid yourself. Player bases for MMORPGs overlap and so will be the same for TESO and NWO. Some people will try both games and play which one they feel is more fun. I know I'll be trying both and I'm hoping both are fun to play.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    voultaire wrote: »
    I would assume Early 2013 is Q1.

That assume is unwarranted.

"Early" could mean anything before June 30th.
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well If it came out in May then that would be Mid 2013 :) I am curious, as to why we havent heard anything official since we are supposedly so close to launch. Last official update was August 2012

Technically, Mid 2013 would be somewhere in the ballpark of June/July. January-June (Q1 and Q2) constitutes early 2013. July-December (Q3 and Q4) constitutes late 2013. The entitled masses always believe when someone says Early in 2013, it means the first week of January, and if it ends up later than that its "THEY LIED TO US!!!!"
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The game will likely launch within the next three months, seeing as where we are in the beta process compared to Cryptic's other games.

Even after STO being launched over three years ago, that game is nowhere near finished (albeit much closer than it was when it launched).
  • Options
    daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    That assume is unwarranted.

"Early" could mean anything before June 30th.

early
    adverb
    1a: near the beginning of a period of time <awoke early in the morning>
    b: near the beginning of a course, process, or series <early in his senatorial career

June 30th is not near the begining of 2013, it's the middle of the year.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Technically, Mid 2013 would be somewhere in the ballpark of June/July. January-June (Q1 and Q2) constitutes early 2013. July-December (Q3 and Q4) constitutes late 2013. The entitled masses always believe when someone says Early in 2013, it means the first week of January, and if it ends up later than that its "THEY LIED TO US!!!!"

It's not the entitled masses, it's a definition of the word that is misused.

"sooooooon"
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Hmm I dont think anyone here believes they are entitled, you jumped to a silly conclusion. Just a desire for an update is all.
  • Options
    rkriderrkrider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 80
    edited February 2013
    Personal opinion from someone in beta and a beta from sto. It is already considerably more solid then Sto at launch. I'm betting open beta march. Launch end of march early April.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've ridden through the deserts of Athas on a Horse made of Flame....
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    daytonamax wrote: »
    early
    adverb
    1a: near the beginning of a period of time <awoke early in the morning>
    b: near the beginning of a course, process, or series <early in his senatorial career

June 30th is not near the begining of 2013, it's the middle of the year.

June 30th is more near to the beginning than it is to the end.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm betting mid to late april
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    June 30th is more near to the beginning than it is to the end.

And May 30th is nearer than that.
    April 30th is nearer than that.
    So who knows?!
    But one thing they didn't say is June 30th, the middle of the year 2013, or mid 2013.

They said "early", near the begining of, not the middle of, or near the middle of but early.

*brain freeze*
    ouch. purely semantic arguements hurt. must stop.
    :p
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

"sooooooon"

or misinturpreted LOL :p
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

"sooooooon"
    Hmm I dont think anyone here believes they are entitled, you jumped to a silly conclusion. Just a desire for an update is all.

Don't mind me guys. I tend to throw out the phrase "entitled masses" very loosely. It's just the nature of the internet. Nothing personal...
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P