test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Potential Exploit

streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Sigils.

They can be upgraded. Basic crafting I suppose.

It all started when I was looking at Runestones from a vendor. By accident I figured out how you can upgrade said Runstones. Anyways, I purchased said runestone named Eldritch Runestone 2. I eventually created a Runestone 4. Instead of +10 Armor Penetration and +10 to buffs? (no idea what the second stat refers to as everything is normal). I now have +30 Armor Penetration and +30% buffs for my wizard. Granted I dont notice any change in damage or suvivability, but hey. it is there. And no level requirement.

Here is the problem. I can buy a Radiant Sigil 2 for 1 gold 40 silver. During this beta gold is kinda rare so.. I did go all I could for testing this.

Radiant Sigil 2 has +40 health +1% gold find and +3 Power
Radiant Sigil 3 has +80 health +1% gold find and +7 Power

The one I got to:

Radiant Sigil 5 has +130 Health +1% gold find and +13 Power.

Now, I know it does not matter right? I am sure I could go higher, But I dont have enough Gold. It took 2 gold after the failures to make the Radiant Sigil 5. I need more gold !!! :P

The problem stems from the fact that there is no level requirement. None. Which means that if I craft equipment for my level 5 character right out of the tutorial that has Enchantment Slots in it... I could theoretically, just with that runestone have a character , just starting...

+1560 HP, +12% Gold Find and +156 Power... that is assuming only one enhancement slot per item. With the level 5 Runestone.. I can only imagine what the level 10 gives.

I take said character and PvP with him, or just outright leveling... Just with those stats alone I can not bother with upgrading my gear for at least 10+ levels, and do it over again.

The point.. is this. If there are no level requirements for these items, you will have overpowered characters at the early levels... This will be bad in the long run.

Thanks for reading.
b_ro.png
When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
Never saw Pants in beta?
Post edited by streethawke on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I want to test more, but no more gold.... 10 more gold and I am sure I can come up with more holes.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I only recently found out about this (as I got tired of all the sigils in my pack and tried to do something with them)... It looks like the Champions enhancement / mod system, except in NWO you only need FOUR items to Fuse instead of FIVE that you need in Champions. The % success chance to fuse ---- in Champions ---- is based on your crafting skill (science, mysticism or arms which you can raise through accessing nodes in the world). To fuse five rank 1 mods into a rank 2 has an almost 100% chance of success but as the rank of the mods increases, the success rate goes down drastically and when you fail you lose one of the mods.

In NWO, we have Dungeoneering and Thievery and such but I don't know if those "skills" have anything to do with Fusing sigils or not... nor do I know if Dungeoneering has a skill "rank" ---- so far, any time I have used one of those skills it has always worked.

In Champions, mods are NOT level restricted... the only real restriction is that it gets prohibitively expense to create REALLY high level mods. It's possible to loot rank 5 mods at the higher levels and you could fuse them into some rank 6 or even rank 7 mods without too much trouble, but getting higher than that requires considerably more luck (and/or cost/time).

I'm relatively sure that NWO will follow a similar path. The only thing that stumps me is --- what skill do they use to determine the success rate of Fusing? When I tried to fuse some Rank 2 into Rank 3 the success rate dropped to, like, 80% or so, I think. NO idea how to improve that success rate.

Of course, as you note, this system makes it VERY easy to generate powerful mods. The only way to prevent lower level folk from getting super-buffed would be if the benefits scaled with level ---- the thing gives +40 health to you at level 20 but when slotted into a level 5 piece of armor, it only offers +4 health ---- or perhaps they just won't have enhancement slots in gear until higher level. Or maybe they're fine with lower-level alts rofl-stomping through content. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps, but I am not sure if they are even aware of this possible inequality for the lowbies.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    hyphenjayhyphenjay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i wouldn't be too worried
    since as far as i've noticed, the color of the slot will dictate which effect the item will receive from the buff
    if an item has a red slot it will only get the Armor penetration from Dark Emblem
    same with the companions, each will have 3 rune slots with specific colors on it
    the cleric has 3 blue slots, so she'll only be able to get the + HP from empowered runestone
    ~shrug~

that and i haven't seen much low lvl items with slots, so don't worry too much... heh
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hyphenjay wrote: »
    i wouldn't be too worried
    since as far as i've noticed, the color of the slot will dictate which effect the item will receive from the buff
    if an item has a red slot it will only get the Armor penetration from Dark Emblem
    same with the companions, each will have 3 rune slots with specific colors on it
    the cleric has 3 blue slots, so she'll only be able to get the + HP from empowered runestone
    ~shrug~

that and i haven't seen much low lvl items with slots, so don't worry too much... heh

Indeed,the original poster didn't think this thru very well.
  • Options
    hyphenjayhyphenjay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Indeed,the original poster didn't think this thru very well.

on the other hand.... there is the possiblity of unbinding a high lvl companion and then mailing it to a lowbie.....

i would think that's a lot more damaging than the runestone/enchantments
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    on the other hand.... there is the possiblity of unbinding a high lvl companion and then mailing it to a lowbie.....

i would think that's a lot more damaging than the runestone/enchantments

Unbinding how exactly? Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Unbinding how exactly? Care to elaborate?

you know you can just drag them from the companion tab to your inventory and pay some astral diamonds to unbind right?
    at least it prompted me to do it when i was trying it out before they closed the server xD
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    you know you can just drag them from the companion tab to your inventory and pay some astral diamonds to unbind right?
    at least it prompted me to do it when i was trying it out before they closed the server xD

No I hadn't tried that, so thanks for the information. If someone wants to do that more power to them then I suppose. The companions I've seen to date don't seem to be terribly powerful or effective so I'm not convinced there is a potential problem even in that case. I'd be curious to see how well that would actually work though.
  • Options
    rokfirrokfir Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I found with my guardian that only one enhancement on the sigil would apply to the item depending on the color of the enhancement slot. So on my guardian I got an item "armor of truth" it has a single green colored enhancement slot. I pumped up to a Radiant Sigil 3 and got like 80 or 100 hit points. I didn't get all three bonuses of the sigil. If you look at the sigil each bonus has a color on it. White, green, and red. so I think what you're suggesting wouldn't be possible unless you can craft gear with enhancement slots for all locations at that level. Meaning , Chest, bracers, boots, weapon, shield or second weapon, rings, and necklace. Then you could potentially get all the enchants on a single character at a lower level. However I'm sure there is or will be some mechanic to restrict the level of sigil/runestone given to a level 1/5 character. I mean you're not going to take a character with level 5 gear into a pvp zone or even higher pve with those enchants. It just won't be productive.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I did loot gear with 3 enhancement slots... So crafting gear with 2 enhancement slots (without even seeing crafting) should be theoretically possible... I would think.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I did loot gear with 3 enhancement slots... So crafting gear with 2 enhancement slots (without even seeing crafting) should be theoretically possible... I would think.

on a lowbie gear?
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The only things that seems to determine the success of fusing are the rank and if you add a mod to the fusion that changes it. The dungeoneering and other skills do not affect fusion and are not ranked, but also are not really valuable as anyone can have all skills at any given time from the consumables. They simply determine what nodes you can interact with, some give crafting mats, some open doorways, etc, as determined by the situation. The enchants and runes as I've seen aren't particularly powerful with respect to the gear itself so I doubt this will be an issue with balance. You should also note that failure in fusion doesn't use up all the reagents, its just a partial failure. You also are limited by what slots your gear has so you will want to put your best enchants in. This isn't an exploit, its just good gaming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ruikesan85 wrote: »
    The only things that seems to determine the success of fusing are the rank and if you add a mod to the fusion that changes it. The dungeoneering and other skills do not affect fusion and are not ranked, but also are not really valuable as anyone can have all skills at any given time from the consumables. They simply determine what nodes you can interact with, some give crafting mats, some open doorways, etc, as determined by the situation. The enchants and runes as I've seen aren't particularly powerful with respect to the gear itself so I doubt this will be an issue with balance. You should also note that failure in fusion doesn't use up all the reagents, its just a partial failure. You also are limited by what slots your gear has so you will want to put your best enchants in. This isn't an exploit, its just good gaming.

i think OP was concerned about having lowbie gear with a enchantment slots that you can slot in highest tier enchantment slots to make low lvl waaaaaay easier than it currently it :p
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes I was referring to lowbies being affected by this.

I would appreciate if you could read the full post Ruikensan85. I clearly state this.. If the developers and designers see no issue here, fine, no big deal. But I am liking this game, so I dont want to see it be adversely affected by something that could have been mitigated out the gate.

What is the fastest way to clear a game of its population? You will always lose the higher level people over time, or they will make alts,,, you need new players keep the game rolling, and if those players get hosed in early pvp, or passed on for grouping because they dont have level 10 sigils...why play.

I am just throwing out a possible problem in that it is way too easy to make these things (as I stated in my post) and no level requirements.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes I was referring to lowbies being affected by this.

I would appreciate if you could read the full post Ruikensan85. I clearly state this.. If the developers and designers see no issue here, fine, no big deal. But I am liking this game, so I dont want to see it be adversely affected by something that could have been mitigated out the gate.

What is the fastest way to clear a game of its population? You will always lose the higher level people over time, or they will make alts,,, you need new players keep the game rolling, and if those players get hosed in early pvp, or passed on for grouping because they dont have level 10 sigils...why play.

I am just throwing out a possible problem in that it is way too easy to make these things (as I stated in my post) and no level requirements.

good luck finding enough slotted-gears lower than lvl 20 to actually make it matter
    not to mention wasting enchantments on lowbie gear....
    on top of that, using up a large amount of astral diamonds to recover the enchantments....
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why recover them? They are easy to make, and gold is the only thing needed.. Just make more.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why recover them? They are easy to make, and gold is the only thing needed.. Just make more.

it's extremely tedious to make higher tier ones
    not everyone is lucky with the stupid chance game
    that and you can't buy them in bulk.... ARGH~!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have seen "powergamers" go through less to get an advantage. *shrugs*
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have seen "powergamers" go through less to get an advantage. *shrugs*

if they want to suffer through that, let them
    your concern with the lowbies getting super powerful with the enchants are really no biggie tho
    i seriously doubt there'll be much lowbie gears with high # of slots available
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You do not know, I do not know.. Again, I am providing information to the development team. What they do with it is their business.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You do not know, I do not know.. Again, I am providing information to the development team. What they do with it is their business.
    you're right, i don't know how often do low lvl equipment drop with slots, or even multiple slots at that

what i DO know, is that you won't get all 3 stats from a single sigil by committing it to a color slot
  • Options
    svijany12svijany12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    This, what streethawke mentioned could ruin the PvP and indeed group PvE as well (at levels 1-59 at least). I hope devs will notice this possible issue and do something about it.
    'Onoronodonovon takes you!'
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Enhancement slots are for minimum level 20 gear (when they start showing up) at the moment. The fusing is working as listed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]