test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion for Foundry: pay $50 to get the ability to add voicing to your missions

soth007soth007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As the title says, I think there should be an option to pay $50 to get the ability to add voiceovers to the foundry.

Now hold your flames a minute, and hear me out. Yes, I agree we don't want to block foundry content, we want everyone to be free to make content as it only helps make the game bigger and better.

BUT right now the option is either pay for voiceover ability or have no voicing done by foundry users at all. If people pay $50 very few are going to try to break the terms and conditions. The reason they're going to have to prevent voice overs from my understanding is it would be too many man hours policing the content for copyright breaks and swears and such. This way if someone does that you simply ban their account and they can't just run off and make a free one, they have lost $50.
Post edited by soth007 on

Comments

• Options
    deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I like the idea. there could be a peer review system to police the voiceovers also.
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited February 2013
    So here is the problem. All graphical and sound assets are downloaded to your computer. That is what the game client is. The only things transfered by cryptic over the wire is location and relevent character data.

If you wanted to add a sound asset to the Foundry you would have to record it and then it would have to be packaged into the asset library of the game. From that time forward it is a permanent part of the game download. If you delete your content, it is still part of the download. If you leave the game and never come back, 20 years later its still part of the game assets.

So then we get into other issues, who owns the asset. Technically its Cryptic since its being included in thier product. There are many that will have issue to having thier assets taken. Lets say you are ok with Cryptic owning the asset. At some point down the road its reviewed and the asset is removed from a library. Now your content is broken. Well Cryptic owns the asset so what are you going to do. There are tons of legal and management issues no sane game company is going to embrace.

The reality is that this is not Neverwinter Nights where you built your own packages and hosted your own servers. Very different environment. Further management of graphical and sound assets not only effects the game performance but the download size. If Cryptic offers an asset lib; then that lib is usable by hundreds if not thousands of content creators and potentially millions of foundry missions. And it never changes size of the client.

If you have your own personal asset lib added to that it is usually by one content creator and only for one foundry mission. Times this now by even 100 content creators. You will triple the size of the asset lib for the game and it will take 6 hours to download all the additional content that may or may not be played by a given player at a given time. Yes you can part patch which Cryptic has as part of its engine but that is usually an update mechanisum not a download mech.

So, you can see why it just may not be practical to expect private assets to be integrated into the foundry. I am only speaking as a player of MMO's but I have been a developer and project manager of development projects and a player of MMO's since the days of Neverwinter on Compuserve, and before that of the formats that came before.
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No... This will be abused as there will be some who will upload dialogue from movies, lyrics from songs, and profanity-laden dialogue that doesn't even fit. Yes, I know that it would cost $50, but some people have it to blow and they will.

Cryptic would have to have a dedicated staff member to review all user-submitted dialogue for quality assurance and compliance purposes. I'd rather them hire another coder or artist to work on content and gameplay mechanics.

General rule of thumb for foundry authors... Avoid Walls of Text in your dialogue trees.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited February 2013
    Thanks I didnt realise that it was so long until I posted and you posted your comment before I could edit LOL
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am afraid the issue is much deeper than that. I think instead of giving you the ability,they would rather add it themselves for quests which are popular.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The foundry uses resources included in the game client and files, external voices/sounds/textures will require a download for everyone who wants to play that mod and depending on how many voices are in the mod, it could be quite large.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    I'd love to have voice-overs for foundry modules, but only if it's well done. Perhaps Cryptic could expand the Foundry rating system to include categories so that players can rate the voice over as well? I'm not sure. Neverwinter Online already uses a streaming system to download content in a modular fashion, this probably can be done with voice overs as well.
  • Options
    nochartnochart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I totally understand the reasons behind keeping voiceover options out of The Foundry, It really saddens me that we can't implement that special personal flair to our creations. D&D has always felt like group story-telling with the occasional dice roll to my group and voice-work helped it all come together and, better yet, come alive. Are the majority of folk who play our custom quests that we so diligently weaved going to care a whit about our fascinating NPCs or brilliant narrative setups? Not likely- but maybe if we gave them a few tidbits to listen to; something savory for them to chew on while they pull pats and avoid adds with their geared out toons... Maybe it will make them pay attention, if only for a moment.

Just a thought.

For the record: I'd be willing to pay for that extra server space.
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I am afraid the issue is much deeper than that. I think instead of giving you the ability,they would rather add it themselves for quests which are popular.

It's actually even deeper than THAT - if players did their own VC for the game, Cryptic (and by extension PW) could get sued by the Screen Actor's Guild, due to having voice acting done by non-Guild members.

If Cryptic did the VC, that'd be ungodly expensive, and a waste of talent since most of the stuff on the Foundry's going to majorly suck.
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And really... A little reading never hurt anyone.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Why tax your content source? They said they won't do that.

Instead what should happen if a certain set of modules are deemed steller then Cryptic should go in and do voice overs and tweak what needs to be tweaked to make it an official module. Sorta like a Hall of Fame in the NWN community. Course the problem lies in how to accurately judge a game as people will cite that in STO you have eliteist groups who will downrate competing content creators who positively rating their own.
  • Options
    grinningsphinxgrinningsphinx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, they cant be sued......man..lol.

Your paying for a service, thats the service transaction and is protected under federal trade law.
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, they cant be sued......man..lol.

Your paying for a service, thats the service transaction and is protected under federal trade law.

If Cryptic is making money off the use of amateur voice actors, they most definitely would be sued.

Do you not understand how unions work?
  • Options
    sliversparksliverspark Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would try to find a work around, perhaps a trigger that makes an NPC say a line of dialogue from the game or something; but fitted to work for the module.
  • Options
    mrsnakegmrsnakeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 60
    edited February 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    So here is the problem. All graphical and sound assets are downloaded to your computer. That is what the game client is. The only things transfered by cryptic over the wire is location and relevent character data.

If you wanted to add a sound asset to the Foundry you would have to record it and then it would have to be packaged into the asset library of the game.

Or it could be like DoDS/TF2/CS/etc ... it downloads it to our machines as part of the load process. You don't need it? It never gets downloaded.

They'd have to add an "asset manager" or something which would allow you to cleanup content you no longer want (sort it by foundry map/mission). It's not as complex or dire as you are making it out to be.
  • Options
    mensarmensar Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    soth007 wrote: »
    As the title says, I think there should be an option to pay $50 to get the ability to add voiceovers to the foundry.

Now hold your flames a minute, and hear me out. Yes, I agree we don't want to block foundry content, we want everyone to be free to make content as it only helps make the game bigger and better.

BUT right now the option is either pay for voiceover ability or have no voicing done by foundry users at all. If people pay $50 very few are going to try to break the terms and conditions. The reason they're going to have to prevent voice overs from my understanding is it would be too many man hours policing the content for copyright breaks and swears and such. This way if someone does that you simply ban their account and they can't just run off and make a free one, they have lost $50.

Please no. Absolutely not.. NO NO NO. I would pay $50 NOT to have this. Voice acting is horrible enough in MMOs without someone trying to do it with their microphone in an English accent or some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and they'll find a way to make it so you can't skip it.. shoot me now. I will avoid ALL forge content if that becomes the case.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic has pretty adamant about not placing any pay based restrictions on the Foundry so as not to limit artistic content.

There has already been talk of implementing voiceover for Foundry quests, but thank god it will not be based on any sort of payment plan.

From the Q&A at f2p.com :
    Q. Can we buy Foundry assets with Astral Diamonds?
    A. No! I don’t want a single barrier between the content you want to make and you being able to make it.
  • Options
    aerigaerig Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I understand all the legal stuff people have mentioned and the technical difficulties involved in implementing this sort of thing but the real issue from a player perspective is that voiceovers, at least good ones, add huge atmosphere to a game.

You just have to play the intro island on Age of Conan to realise how huge the wow factor can be. To see how your average guy/gal in the street can do this just try out some of the player made mods for Dragon Age which are both great and often hilarious.

A work around could be to use good speech synthesis, admittedly a technical feat in its own right, with scripted emphases similar to BBcode to add emotional over- and under-tones inline. Such scripts could be filtered for profanity and out of context wording.

Possibly a good proterm solution would be to allow prominent authors of good forge content the opportunity to add voice overs as trusted sources. Technically, simply have an mp3 repository of the relevant voiceovers that are optionally downloaded by players as and when they appear ingame. Thus relatively small download sizes.

I would agree with the $50 charge in any case since it would finance the file hosting and server costs that would be involved.
  • Options
    jasonstarcruiserjasonstarcruiser Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If Cryptic is making money off the use of amateur voice actors, they most definitely would be sued.

Do you not understand how unions work?
    The owner of the voice over is the creator and they can't certainly signed or licensed the use of their own copyright material.
  • Options
    grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I really think new classes, rances and modules need to be the top priority now. But the idea is not bad tought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]