test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

alternate controls

wifeaggro13wifeaggro13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like to suggest alternate controls for PC users or the option to use standard hotkey set up and possible mouse unlock to standardize this for the average MMO player. it feels very cluncky, i prefer mouse turning an moving as apposed to right left click for actives. at least the option for those of us that prefer standardized controls this just screams console port please dont alienate your General PC user.
Post edited by wifeaggro13 on

Comments

• armored22armored22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Still trying to figure out what exactly it is you are talking about.....
    alternate controls for PC users or the option to use standard hotkey set up and possible mouse unlock to standardize this for the average MMO player.

I would be amazed if Neverwinter did not give you the option to use keybindings for your spell bar, in fact i'm 99.9% sure that you are able to do this......

As for the "mouse unlock" to "standardize this for the average MMO player" i'm not even sure i even follow what it is you are trying to say here..... target select like the traditional MMO? No thank you.
    i prefer mouse turning an moving as apposed to right left click for actives.

Hmmm.... I have not played Neverwinter yet but i can bet my life on it that 90% of the camera funtion comes from your mouse..... Seeing how it is a targeting based game like Tera Online.

"As apposed to right and left click for actives." Umm are you talking about when clicking your right and left mouse keys in Neverwinter you cast a spell and you appose this style and wish to have your left and right click free of a bound action? Maybe so you could use the mouse to click your spells? *giggles* this type of style should have been around ages ago to avoid those clickers in almost ever MMO i've played ^_^

Every MMO should disable the function of being able to click spells on hotbars to cast them *sarcasm*
  • wifeaggro13wifeaggro13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited February 2013
    armored22 wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out what exactly it is you are talking about.....

I would be amazed if Neverwinter did not give you the option to use keybindings for your spell bar, in fact i'm 99.9% sure that you are able to do this......

As for the "mouse unlock" to "standardize this for the average MMO player" i'm not even sure i even follow what it is you are trying to say here..... target select like the traditional MMO? No thank you.

Hmmm.... I have not played Neverwinter yet but i can bet my life on it that 90% of the camera funtion comes from your mouse..... Seeing how it is a targeting based game like Tera Online.

"As apposed to right and left click for actives." Umm are you talking about when clicking your right and left mouse keys in Neverwinter you cast a spell and you appose this style and wish to have your left and right click free of a bound action? Maybe so you could use the mouse to click your spells? *giggles* this type of style should have been around ages ago to avoid those clickers in almost ever MMO i've played ^_^

Every MMO should disable the function of being able to click spells on hotbars to cast them *sarcasm*
    no what i am suggesting is making mouse moving an availble option there are really only 6 abilites that could easily be bound to 1,2,3,4,5,6 instead of Q,E,R,TAB, mouse 1 and 2. mouse moving is basicaly hold the mouse button 1 and 2 down to move and guiding the camera with the mouse exactly the way the targeting is already set up instead of using wasd. the current system is very cluncky for PC users . it has nothing to do with mouse clicking abilites . its a much more fluid way of playing a action type MMO . TSW is totaly playable with its reticle trageting this way as well it works fine in that game . the combat style is fine i like it. if thats wht your sarcasm was directed at, i was not suggesting it be made into the traditional MMO style only key bibnding options and the ability to mouse trn intead of wasd.
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think its pretty clear what the OP is asking.

They want to know if we can rebind our mouse button 1 and 2 for forward movement and pivoting just like 90% of standard MMO's allow. Using WASD for movement is for baddies. That system is archaic. I haven't known any good pvper/twitch player who uses WASD.

This is a big concern for me too. Cryptic would be self-sabotaging if they left this option out.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nyghoma wrote: »
    They want to know if we can rebind our mouse button 1 and 2 for forward movement and pivoting just like 90% of standard MMO's allow. Using WASD for movement is for baddies. That system is archaic. I haven't known any good pvper/twitch player who uses WASD.

Huh? How is having just one button for "forward" better better for twitch gameplay than having four buttons, also permitting strafing and backing up? I had always though "click to run" was most common in slow paced games like WoW, where movement matters less than hitting the right hotbar slots at the right time.
    edited February 2013
    If you are using WASD movement that means in some cases you'll have to stop moving to hit other important keys. Any hotkey bound past the #6 key is a burden. If all your movement is contained to your mouse, if frees up your other hand to any key on your key board. This is twitch play 101.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

• wifeaggro13wifeaggro13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited February 2013
    I think its pretty clear what the OP is asking

This is a big concern for me too. Cryptic would be self-sabotaging if they left this option out.

I was typing and playing, but fear not you can completely rebind keys to mouse turn and hot key abilites to any key you would like.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you are using WASD movement that means in some cases you'll have to stop moving to hit other important keys. Any hotkey bound past the #6 key is a burden. If all your movement is contained to your mouse, if frees up your other hand to any key on your key board. This is twitch play 101.

Right, that's for hotbar-heavy, non-movement-focused games. Neverwinter is not such a game. Your logic does not apply here. All the default hotbar keys in Neverwinter are easy to hit while making use of WASD movement.

BTW, when I played DDO, a game where movement and positioning matters a lot, I used WASD, and could activate dozens of different hotbar slots while moving. It's not hard to hit a lot of different keys (and key combinations) while keeping one finger on W; just not numbers past 5, but why use those when much more convenient keys are available? Being able to strafe and backpeddle there was absolutely essential to twitch play.

It'll be less so here due to rooting on all attacks *grumble*, but still, I'm not seeing an advantage to using mouse-movement over WASD in Neverwinter.
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Right, that's for hotbar-heavy, non-movement-focused games. Neverwinter is not such a game. Your logic does not apply here. All the default hotbar keys in Neverwinter are easy to hit while making use of WASD movement.

BTW, when I played DDO, a game where movement and positioning matters a lot, I used WASD, and could activate dozens of different hotbar slots while moving. It's not hard to hit a lot of different keys (and key combinations) while keeping one finger on W; just not numbers past 5, but why use those when much more convenient keys are available? Being able to strafe and backpeddle there was absolutely essential to twitch play.

It'll be less so here due to rooting on all attacks *grumble*, but still, I'm not seeing an advantage to using mouse-movement over WASD in Neverwinter.

You still have to use the mouse for the camera turning. If all my movement and camera is isolated to my mouse, I have a hand free to do anything else including, scratching my nuts in the middle of running around. Otherwise I need 2 hands to move and turn with camera.

Why would you force yourself to use 2 hands for your avatar's complete movement? It's not logical.

PS I can add strafing and backwards movement to my mouse too.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH