test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric Links

aeterniaaeternia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited February 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi all,

Loved the Cleric reveal video and am more excited than ever to get my hands on the class! Does Anyone have any good links with info about 4E Clerics (Stats, Builds, Background, Gear, anything really)

cgoro posted these 2 in another thread for anyone interested

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19648822/The_Clerics_Bible_Making_a_4e_Cleric
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1590.0
Post edited by aeternia on

Comments

• streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Something is wrong with your links. I personally love wizard and druids, however, for this beta weekend, I do plan on using the cleric.

Without knowing much of the game mechanics, I have to draw on my previous editions PnP and MMO experience. Wisdom of course, but the secondary stat of strength, I am not sure how that mechanic will play into damage. I would think Charisma or Constitution would be prudent stats to pump up.

The paragon points or whatever they are called, Pick a path and stick to it. Without knowing too much on how things actually work, going against the grain might not work so well,, at first anyways.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • aeterniaaeternia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thx street, fixed the links.

Wisdom definitely number 1 but it seems like strength is of less use to a Devoted cleric? Probably going for con or dex as my secondary stat
  • streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The games lists Str as the secondary stat for a cleric. Like I said, I am not sure how the in game mechanics work with the powers... Maybe Str gives a boost to damage using your at will powers.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • normanoftharnormanofthar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    In 4e Charisma was generally more important for the devoted type clerics where the battle clerics used str more. That said this doesn't quite use the same system but they may have brought some of that system over.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The game creation will advise you on the primary and secondary stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • icosagonicosagon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm hoping drow aren't stuck with just one racial stat bonus option. I suppose starting with an 18 wis with a 16ish cha wouldn't be a bad start for a devoted type.
  • mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Greetings,

I'm not sure but this is based on 4th edition ruleset? Im used to 3rd edition rules and the 4th is just confusing. Can someone highlight cleric differnces in stats/weapons for this change? I've went to the links above but they don't pinpoint what is the most important stat for clerics. It used to be wisdom in 3rd edition followed by charisma; however, if the weapons allowed for clerics has changed then strength might be a concern. Anyway, some opinions would be appreciated. I'd like to level a cleric without picking the wrong stats and get cheated out of my "Pargon?" abilities later in the game.

Thanks
    WOLF
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi Wolf.

Short answer: Wisdom is your primary stat. In Neverwinter, Charisma and Strength are "secondary" stats, also useful but not as important as Wisdom.

Long Answer: In 4E, the initial rules for cleric put Wisdom first, with Charisma important for some control powers (like Turn Undead) and Strength used in Melee attacks. This was bad for Clerics, because it was much harder to build a good cleric when you needed both Wisdom and Strength to be effective.

Most players solved this by making a "laser" cleric, which is ranged. They may have carried a Melee weapon, but tried never to use it, because their powers were all based on Wisdom.

Designers realized this was not working as intended. They introduced more Wisdom based Melee powers and eventually created a new Melee cleric which used Wisdom for Melee attacks as well as Ranged. That's in the "Essentials" books, which are more like 3E.

The Neverwinter cleric appears to be based on the "Laser" cleric. You have short ranged powers, mostly AoEs, but rely primarily on mid range Wisdom-fueled attacks.
  • ninjaganninjagan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    icosagon wrote: »
    I'm hoping drow aren't stuck with just one racial stat bonus option. I suppose starting with an 18 wis with a 16ish cha wouldn't be a bad start for a devoted type.

Sounds like a pretty good start.
  • ireskarsireskars Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Want shield/mace/flail and possibly the ability to use two handed weapons!

Hehe.. I played the cleric for a few minutes before the server went. I did feel like I missed my shield and 1h weapon, but I'll be able to get over it. Though I really hope there is a feat to use melee weapons etc. Sorry I haven't had time to read much or even play until a few minutes ago.

Hope the server is back up early so I can get more time, heh.
    not really here.
  • magbrawn63magbrawn63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i put points in Wisdom and strength on cleric. I believe from playing the cleric to 16 so far is excellent for solo playability and versatile in groups. Just in how you want to build it.