test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New DnD player needs help!

fugitive1001fugitive1001 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited February 2013 in PvE Discussion
So, let me get this out right off the bat. I am 100% new to Dungeons and Dragons. I have never played the games so reading the forums today have been quite overwhelming to me. I keep seeing people saying all of these weird class names such as Trickster Rogue or like Paladin etc and I cannot find any info on the site about such classes? Or specs rather? I don't know. Anyways, can somebody put me in the right direction and give me a good description of the classes or specs in the game? Since Beta is tomorrow and part of Betas for me is not just testing and finding bugs but also figuring out what I want to play for launch! I spent $59.99 on this and the lack of information on the site scares me a bit :( HALP! <3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• foradainforadain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Up at the top of the page you should find a tab labeled "Media", Pull that down and select "Videos". I don't see one there yet for the Devoted Cleric, but I'm betting that's a healer (or Leader, in the terminology used in D&D 4th Edition). The other four available ATM classes are all there.

Paladin is a classic D&D class, going back to the first "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" if not farther ^_^. Think of it as a Tank with a touch of Healer.

As for specs, I'm hoping to find out when I finish downloading the beta (94%!).
    This game is based off of DnD 4th edition, which is different than the previous editions of DnD. If you've played other fantasy games, you have an idea of what the different classes are about lore wise, so I won't go into that.

Each class in 4e had a number of suggested paths for you to take. For examaple, the Rogue class had a "brute rogue" and a "trickster rogue", these weren't unique classes in 4e, but instead were sort of pre-set builds. Neverwinter is taking this concept and turning it into MMO classes, which is a different concept.

4e had "roles" for classes, that mainly mimiced what you see in MMOS. You had a Guardian (tank), a Striker (DPS), a Controller (Crowd control), and a Leader (buff/debuff/healer). Every class would fall into one role, and would generally dabble lightly in a secondary role. The thing to remember is that like MMO's class and role are different. A rogue was a Striker, but so was a Barbarian. The wizard was a controller, Fighter a Guardian, and the cleric was a Leader.
  • foradainforadain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hmmm, no "hero of the north" label...
    If you ever played a MMO before, that is what you get here. The combat is similar to DDO (nobody hit me now), Tera and Darkfall and Champions Online (Some of the titles are free to play) in that you are using your attacks and abilities to hit whatever your cursor is on. It is called active targeting, though I suspect it might be a tad on the soft target side as well when it comes to friendly abilities.

Don't get hung up on the names of the classes. What you have here is the Holy Trinity.

Tank- Soaks damage draws enemy agro.
    Healer- Heals everyone.
    Damage- These guys ramp up damage to drop the enemies.

Then you have additional duties in the group such as...

Controllers- They maintain the ebb and flow of combat. These guys are gods in pen and paper.
    Hybrids - These guys usually get a bad rap about being a jack of all trades but master of none... but can be fun to play.

Just pick a "role" that you seemed to enjoy in other games you played and rock and roll with it. Don't worry about races either. Just pick something you like, end game gear and class abilities are what matters, you will not be weaker because of a race choice you made. Ever.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • fugitive1001fugitive1001 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Alright great thank you all for clearing it up for me.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Welcome to D&D! Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. You will get many, many answers.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Google DnD 4.0 Classes and you may get some more understanding of things
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Really this is like any MMO, D&D in name and inspired but there are so many deviations for the rule books in order to adapt it to an MMO having a background in D&D is irrelevant. This is an MMO first and foremost.

They designed the game where someone who never read a thing on D&D can play just as easily as one who has extensive knowledge with D&D. All these classed are derived and mechanics are based off of D&D just like WoW is but they are not direct translation. Having D&D knowledge is just fluff material really or if your a lore hound.
  • grimjoe32grimjoe32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited February 2013
    Beta seems to only have 3 class's atm was hopeing for wiz =( but nope