test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I would like an authenticator/security key please.

johnwhijohnwhi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As much as a pain in the A they can be, I really appreciate the warm and fuzzy feelings an authenticator for my TPW account would give me.

Being involved in network security, I understand they are not hack proof. It does however add one more step an account greifer has to go through before ruining my week.

My preferred method is an apple/android app, but a physical one is acceptable and i will gladly pay for it and pay for shipping.
Post edited by johnwhi on

Comments

• geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good suggestion they should make that option for those who wish it. Me i woudnt use it too much of a pain in the butt but for some they may like it :-). Never can be too careful these days eh?
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I was going to make a thread about this also, but still waiting to be able to generate new threads...................

Anyways, I can't believe that they didn't even have this already, I mean, its just a simple common and well known feature in todays industry that not having it is starting to make me wonder, already....
  • johnwhijohnwhi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know what you mean.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    They use a system called Account Guard. It requires you to register every computer you log in from. In some ways it's not as secure as an authenticator but it's better than some other games and much less hassle.
  • darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    They use a system called Account Guard. It requires you to register every computer you log in from. In some ways it's not as secure as an authenticator but it's better than some other games and much less hassle.

Oh? you mean like the system Guild Wars 2 uses? you mean that same one that got hacked and many peoples accounts got stripped and how they had no way of restoring anyones account. That secure system? yea!! right!!
  • kheallerkhealler Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    darksx wrote: »
    Oh? you mean like the system Guild Wars 2 uses? you mean that same one that got hacked and many peoples accounts got stripped and how they had no way of restoring anyones account. That secure system? yea!! right!!

You really believe a NCsoft representative is coming down to these forums and confirms your accusations?

No system is hackerproof and no system is really foolproof as most trojans are downloaded by the users themselves. If they really going to add a layer of defense, the "Account Guard" sounds as the most user-friendly.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I'm completely unfamiliar with GW2 I am afraid. The game has absolutely, 150%, no appeal to me.

If you log into CO or STO the system I am describing should appear.

Account Guard is nothing more than a system which stores specific computer systems. It's the same system most Online and Mobile Banking Systems use.
    It doesn't store passwords, it only requires the person to use their registered e-mail to validate their ownership before allowing an account to log in to their system from an unrecognised computer system.

All I can say is I have been gaming online for fifteen years now and I have never been hacked.
    Account Guard is more than *I* need.
    It is my most sincere and humble personal opinion that players need to learn how to keep their own accounts secure. Most 'haks' are 100% the fault of the users and not the fault of the gaming companies. I am living proof.

I have no idea what happened to GW2 but I guarantee if you don't lose your own security 99.99% of the time you will not have account issues.

EDIT - I do plan on making a quick guide to account security closer to Launch for those who are interested. I'm not saying players need to learn how to keep their accounts secure without supplying some tips.
  • vikingh3artvikingh3art Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    As much as a nightmare it is to get support from PWE customer service, an authenticator is a great idea. All online games should utilize authenticator in today's world.
    co-Lead www.MercyGaming.com
    A multi-gaming Guild
    "Sons of winter and stars... RISE!"
  • devilman0xdevilman0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if not a physical authenticator id throw in the suggestion for a mobile one as well.
    I'm all for a bit of added security to my mmo accounts. I tend to invest to much time in them lol
  • mrsnakegmrsnakeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 60
    edited February 2013

Well, the biggest problem with GW2's Account Guard was that it was broken for quite a few people, including my account. I had tried several times to verify my email and each time it failed with a generic "unexpected error" message.

Then, my account credentials got swiped (not because GW2 was hacked, but because I used the same password and email on a GW2 fan-site which apparently didn't really consider security). Since then I have rethought my password policy and did a massive password reset across all of the most used accounts.

Anyways, the whole "new computer, send you an email for you to enter a code" thing is a very good method of validating machines. Steam finally (after much proding) added it to their platform (Steam Guard). It cuts down on the risk dramatically.

Also, requiring email confirmation from the existing email address before changing it, is another great security measure (as long as your email and account passwords are different).

Authenticators can be a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but some people like the piece of mind. I do think they should be an option, even if you only use Google Authenticator.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Pretty much the same as GW2, which doesn't use an authenticator etiher.

Personally I do not like them, I never used one for WoW or Rift (of the games I played that utilyzed them) and I never had any account security issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yeah i got jacked in GW2 aswell.. Took 7 days to get it back
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ceradirceradir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you add a security key, please don't reinvent the wheel and use a standard like TOTP (RFC 6238) so we can use a client like Google Authenticator (like GW2). -- I don't wan't to have even more proprietary apps for authenticatition on my phone. :-)