test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Are There Two Fighter Classes?

falleniciclefallenicicle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm curious why the Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter are different classes. Aren't they both fighters?
Post edited by fallenicicle on

Comments

• Options
    soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Guardian Fighter appears to be a tank orientated class (they use a shield and their go to move is a block instead of a swift dodge) where as the Great Weapon Fighter is your two handed DPS class (appear to only use two handed weapons).

I'm also guessing the dmg and survivability of the two classes will differ a fair bit.
  • Options
    providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It seems to be a way they've designed the classes in Neverwinter. Each Neverwinter class is based on a class feature in 4e. In the 4e Player Handbook 1 there are 2 templates given: Guardian and Great Weapon Fighter. Same concept as the other classes.

Basically each Neverwinter class is a sub-class in 4e.
  • Options
    soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also nothing had been released as of yet for the GF but the GWF at level 30 has access to two different class specializations: Iron Vanguard and Swordmaster (known as Paragon Paths).

Definitely interested to see how this will change the classes role if at all.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If anyone's familiar with Champions Online... archetypes. Thats what they are, and thats what they're going to be. You're going to see 3-4 different 'types' of the same class, throughout its lifespan.

Incredibly lame, imo, but makes it easier for them. **remembers all the shortcuts and copy/paste jobs in CO & shudders**
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    If anyone's familiar with Champions Online... archetypes. Thats what they are, and thats what they're going to be. You're going to see 3-4 different 'types' of the same class, throughout its lifespan.

Incredibly lame, imo, but makes it easier for them. **remembers all the shortcuts and copy/paste jobs in CO & shudders**

As Cryptic has not really yet released any concrete information on the classes besides the 5 starter classes (even then they have been vague) we cannot compare this game to CO, but if your opinion is that they will be similar to those of the CO archetypes I can only hope that Cryptic has learnt from CO and has improved on it.
  • Options
    arundooarundoo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope we get more classes before the release, seeing the Fighter class has two I hope the others get more aswell.
    Neverwinter Roleplay community: http://www.NW-RP.com
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    arundoo wrote: »
    I hope we get more classes before the release, seeing the Fighter class has two I hope the others get more aswell.

We won't. We've already had confirmation of what the launch classes will be.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Fitting the playstyles. All MMOs have a ranged dps caster type, healer type, DWing melee dps type, 2Her melee dps type, and a tank type, but they're missing an archer type which from the sound of things a long was away if even added this year.
  • Options
    shado152shado152 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm curious why the Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter are different classes. Aren't they both fighters?

saying this is the same as saying i wonder why control wizards and dedicated healers are different classes arent they both mages?

yes they are both core at melee but ones main focus is tanking while the others is dps both have the core being the same (melee) just as both control wizard and dedicated healers core is (magic)
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    shado152 wrote: »
    saying this is the same as saying i wonder why control wizards and dedicated healers are different classes arent they both mages?

yes they are both core at melee but ones main focus is tanking while the others is dps both have the core being the same (melee) just as both control wizard and dedicated healers core is (magic)

Because they, like the two Fighter classes, are straight out of the DnD 4e Player's Handbook. They're "builds", aka subclasses, of the Wizard and Cleric classes.

With this mix, Cryptic is launching with the following roles covered:

Melee DPS (smash your face group-friendly kind)
    Melee DPS (stealthy, solo-friendly kind)/Thief
    Tank
    Healer
    Crowd Control/Ranged DPS

It's pretty much the minimum that needed representation; any less than that, there would have been hard-to-fill gaps.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    soapyland wrote: »
    As Cryptic has not really yet released any concrete information on the classes besides the 5 starter classes (even then they have been vague) we cannot compare this game to CO, but if your opinion is that they will be similar to those of the CO archetypes I can only hope that Cryptic has learnt from CO and has improved on it.

Sry to be so negative, its just that after analyzing videos I couldnt help but come up with that conclusion. You receive certain powers as you lvl (much like CO archetypes, but much less choice as theres no 2 to pick from, you just get what you get), and theres the feats page which is most like the synergy powers page in CO.
  • Options
    nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kinda makes me want freeform ;p
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    My main question, is the Great Weapon Fighter a distinct class from the Guardian Fighter? Like, if you started creating a character, and then select a class, do you just select "Fighter" and then level up and pick powers/feats (or whatever system NWO uses) leaning towards great weapon or towards guardian? Or is it that right from the get-go, you pick "Great Weapon Fighter" or "Guardian Fighter" or "Control Wizard" or "Trickster Rogue" or "Devoted Cleric"?
  • Options
    blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    My main question, is the Great Weapon Fighter a distinct class from the Guardian Fighter? Like, if you started creating a character, and then select a class, do you just select "Fighter" and then level up and pick powers/feats (or whatever system NWO uses) leaning towards great weapon or towards guardian? Or is it that right from the get-go, you pick "Great Weapon Fighter" or "Guardian Fighter" or "Control Wizard" or "Trickster Rogue" or "Devoted Cleric"?
    right from the get go
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »

In this MMO, treat like a seprate class even though technically they are "different builds." You can't swap items from the GWF to GF and vice versa for example.

And you'll get more powers in the game than you can use but you can swap them out. This is true for ALL power categories such as at-will, encounter and "daily."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]