test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stealth

garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
edited February 2013 in The Thieves' Den
I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet but the stealth action I saw in the videos is very brief and the duration of stealth does not seem to be very long. I also noticed it hinders movement speed by a lot. What do you think?
Post edited by garrettrogue on

Comments

• valkyriechosenvalkyriechosen Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    I don't know about the duration, but in my experience, using stealth does tend to slow one down. In Neverwinter Nights, using stealth mode required that you move at walking speed. The same goes for active search, unless you are playing an elf. As a human, using stealth and active search together reduced you to a crawl. I would hope there's no time limit on stealth, but I would be surprised if stealth did not slow you down in any way, due to the way it has worked in past D&D games. If anyone has played rogue-based Neverwinter Nights modules, you can probably remember moving slowly through long corridors, strewn with intricate patterns of deadly traps, for fear of getting toasted, frozen, impaled, splashed with acid, or spotted by some very strong patrolling enemy while crossing the hallway in stealth mode.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I also hope that there is no time limit on stealth. It could be that in the videos the character is not in stealth mode while running around because it DOES (and should) slow you down some... and then the player activates stealth on the approach to a fight, and of course once the fight starts Stealth is moot.

I would imagine that you can use FEATS to increase your stealth speed (perhaps even automatic level-progression FEATS)... I, for one, LOVED sneaking through dungeons in Everquest. Granted, there is no experience awarded for just moving around stealthed... but not everything has to be about the xp.
  • marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From my memory of the videos you may be mistaking the 4e Rogue ability of accessing the shadowfell (I am not a loremaster, so I apologize if I incorrectly describe this power) for stealth. If the screen was much darker then that is what it is. Stealth should be covered by Thievery in 4e which includes pick lock, pick pockets and possibly others. How this is implemented is not something I care to speculate about. I hope this helps.
  • honzohonzo Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd love it if there was no stealth timer but to be honest.... I really doubt it. Seems to be the trend with MMO's in the last year or so that stealth is on a timer. But of course DnD games always had the ability to perma stealth even if it did reduce your speed to a crawl.

I'll wager there's about a 40% chance it will be perma stealth =P Or we could just wait like 5 days and find out XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It only takes one candle to light a fire, and then the darkness is gone."
  • garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    honzo wrote: »
    I'd love it if there was no stealth timer but to be honest.... I really doubt it. Seems to be the trend with MMO's in the last year or so that stealth is on a timer. But of course DnD games always had the ability to perma stealth even if it did reduce your speed to a crawl.

I'll wager there's about a 40% chance it will be perma stealth =P Or we could just wait like 5 days and find out XD
    But then what would we talk/speculate about in the mean time? :P
  • honzohonzo Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    But then what would we talk/speculate about in the mean time? :P

Possibly Lemmings? Judging by your name I guess you know about the new Thief IV game in development =P

But I guess... we should stay on the topic...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It only takes one candle to light a fire, and then the darkness is gone."
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The limit you saw is accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2013

Thanks Truthseeker! :D
  • harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I understand it's a fantasy world, but I would like to see how quickly you can walk silently, let alone move unnoticed in an open space. IMO stealth should rely on the enemies actual sight and hearing (Sight is a cone hit box, hearing is a circular one), and all classes should have the ability to attempt sneaking. (This may be the case, I have yet to see what stealth is like.) Though with a real time combat system, that looks very intricate at times I might add, the addition of this extra stealth mechanic, may be too demanding on the engine/player's computers.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    harekaze wrote: »
    I understand it's a fantasy world, but I would like to see how quickly you can walk silently, let alone move unnoticed in an open space. IMO stealth should rely on the enemies actual sight and hearing (Sight is a cone hit box, hearing is a circular one), and all classes should have the ability to attempt sneaking. (This may be the case, I have yet to see what stealth is like.) Though with a real time combat system, that looks very intricate at times I might add, the addition of this extra stealth mechanic, may be too demanding on the engine/player's computers.
    Stealth is handled as "slipping into shadoworld and returning" now. This makes sense due to merging of Abeir and Shar no longer having cntrol on who can and cannot access it after the spellplague.
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    Stealth all the way (reminds me of Metal Gear Solid when you get the stealth suit) lol
  • harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Stealth is handled as "slipping into shadoworld and returning" now. This makes sense due to merging of Abeir and Shar no longer having cntrol on who can and cannot access it after the spellplague.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. :)
  • bloodsuckingparasitebloodsuckingparasite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

That's actually kind of disappointing, that limits the way some players complete their quests.
    I've always enjoyed sneaking through a dungeon unscathed and slaying the mobs that got in my way.

Although, I can see that this IS a combat based game in the way of advancement and such. It would be nice to be able to be rewarded for completing quests virtually undetected. :(