test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

EZ mode

harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm just curious as to whether or not there will be a certain option. In gameplay videos, I see lines on the ground showing where an enemy's area of effect attack will inflict damage. Just wondering if I can turn this off as I do not like crutches such as these. I prefer games to be as challenging as possible, and this game looks like it will be right up my alley, even more-so given the ability to disable the lines showing enemy attacks.
Post edited by harekaze on

Comments

• Options
    runamonkrunamonk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes you can. They showed this in one of the videos, you don't have to use the lines.

harekaze wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to whether or not there will be a certain option. In gameplay videos, I see lines on the ground showing where an enemy's area of effect attack will inflict damage. Just wondering if I can turn this off as I do not like crutches such as these. I prefer games to be as challenging as possible, and this game looks like it will be right up my alley, even more-so given the ability to disable the lines showing enemy attacks.
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

However you will not have any warning as to when the big attack that you have to avoid is coming. Not all the big attacks seem to have a clearly visible animation to them just the lines. That might just be because the videos are alpha though.
  • Options
    harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Very cool, thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wouldnt turn them off my first time through a dungeon
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't turn it off nor would I call it EZ mode. GW2 used these same tell tale signs and dungeons are far from EZ mode. If anything you are punishing your group and people will be like "for F'in sakes... STAND OUT OF THE FIRE!!!" You are not meant to just take a beating and you will without these telegraph aids. These have long been in MMOs ever since vanilla WoW and people still stand in the fire.

Wildstar does an interesting take on these indicators though, they got what looks like some insane dodge game with their telegraphing mechanics.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ill probably never turn it off... my last post was more of a suggestion to others
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't turn it off nor would I call it EZ mode. GW2 used these same tell tale signs and dungeons are far from EZ mode. If anything you are punishing your group and people will be like "for F'in sakes... STAND OUT OF THE FIRE!!!" You are not meant to just take a beating and you will without these telegraph aids. These have long been in MMOs ever since vanilla WoW and people still stand in the fire.

Wildstar does an interesting take on these indicators though, they got what looks like some insane dodge game with their telegraphing mechanics.

Sorry not calling the game EZ mode, just saying that it's easier leaving it on, and I'm the kinda person that plays games on the hardest difficulty possible, (Difficulty slider to master in Elder Scrolls, unlocking higher difficulty in Ninja Gaiden, Heroic Modes in WoW raids, III Kunai on missions in Tenchu, that sorta thing) so I will be disabling the attack prediction lines. (donno wtf they are called lol)

But I am a veteran gamer and I know that getting out of the way of a flaming meteor strike and living to continue the fight, is going to be more effective than trying to land one last hit of sly flourish and getting obliterated to smithereens.
  • Options
    jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Speaking of EZ mode, is anyone else worried that the game might be too easy or dumbed down for the lowest common denominator? They keep talking about how a rogue can go in by himself/herself and kill a boss if played well, but imo, any game, but especially D&D, one player alone shouldn't be able to kill a leader mob by themselves. This is after all, a multiplayer game, and I can't imagine it being fun for very long if it's that easy to finish dungeons.

Of course, I could be dead wrong since we haven't gotten many videos or even info about the game in general. It's just something I'm concerned about.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Speaking of EZ mode, is anyone else worried that the game might be too easy or dumbed down for the lowest common denominator? They keep talking about how a rogue can go in by himself/herself and kill a boss if played well, but imo, any game, but especially D&D, one player alone shouldn't be able to kill a leader mob by themselves. This is after all, a multiplayer game, and I can't imagine it being fun for very long if it's that easy to finish dungeons.

Of course, I could be dead wrong since we haven't gotten many videos or even info about the game in general. It's just something I'm concerned about.

I really hope the content isn't soloable... that defeats the point of making it an MMORPG. Also I've never played a solo adventure in DnD between myself and a dungeon master... that just doesn't make sense or sound fun lol. I'd much rather prefer to have a ragtag group of adventurers watching eachother's backs (or stabbing each other in the back, depending on if you're chaotic evil, or perhaps lawful evil if you're doing it to please deity/lord. :P ) and defeating imposing bosses together.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really hope the content isn't soloable... that defeats the point of making it an MMORPG. Also I've never played a solo adventure in DnD between myself and a dungeon master... that just doesn't make sense or sound fun lol. I'd much rather prefer to have a ragtag group of adventurers watching eachother's backs (or stabbing each other in the back, depending on if you're chaotic evil, or perhaps lawful evil if you're doing it to please deity/lord. :P ) and defeating imposing bosses together.

They said there will be soloable content. This is imho needed, since every once in a while you want to just play alone. But, sincerely, i don't think that every instance will have also a solo mode.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    jet777jet777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, this IS a cryptic game. Looking at Champions and Star trek Online, pretty much all of the game (Except the endgame and specific scenario,) are solo-able by just about any setup. Whether this holds true for Neverwinter or not is up for grabs. If it's any consolation, grouping up caused more mobs to spawn which led to more XP and loot for everyone, and I'm fairly sure it increased the chance for better gear quality as well. (That may just be placebo effect talking though.)

Also, gonna point out that pen-and-paper DnD takes place in turns, Neverwinter is realtime, which makes a lot of difference when you can realize you're about to get splattered and run WHEN the ogre's charging, not after he's already clocked you. :P
  • Options
    jaffrojonesjaffrojones Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also, regardless of whether or not they have solo-able content, anyone who makes content with the Foundry can specifically make it for groups so there is no way they can be done solo. You just have to always pick the modules you want that are for parties.

I take it back though, I like the idea that there is soloable content for when you want it... You don't have to play it, and like I said, with the Foundry there will always be new content, and I'm sure the majority will be for parties.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If somebody wants very very difficult with the moves an enemy only telegraphs with the red zones beforehand disabled, they may.

The game is made to be able to be played solo with scaling per group levels added (except for delves which have a mandatory 5 person content.) They are not necessarily easy solo though. How easy it is would be based on the player, the class and the items on the character.

But trust me, you DON'T want to try end bosses without the warning lines the first time through, and even they don't all have big move attack animations or even animations warning you at all sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]