test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Archer class?

indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Is there going to be an archer class?
Post edited by indy20 on

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    indy20 wrote: »
    Is there going to be an archer class?
    They are working on the Ranger, currenty that is all we know, but we believe the trickster rogue will be able to use a bow.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    do we know if ranger will be ready by launch?
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, it won't be:
    1. We will launch with 5 classes. The Guardian Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bummer because if It was I was thinking of getting the hero of the north pack. But seeing how all I've seen is trailers and havent played any I'm not sure I will.

I'm also skeptical because the last Cryptic game I played was Champions Online and i thought that was horrible.

Right now I'm torn between buying the founders for this or the founders for Defiance.

As the game looks right now the only class I'd have interest in would be the rogue.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    I'm also skeptical because the last Cryptic game I played was Champions Online and i thought that was horrible.

Then again, it added an archer class. :)
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if it dose come whit only five classes then probably first game update will bring few of them
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also keep in mind that a D and D Ranger is not necessarily an archer. In D and D they focus on either 2 weapon fighting or archery.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If someone was going to convince me to buy this game what are a run down of the pro's and con's? I really love the neverwinter campaign so I'm really tempted to buy hero of the north. But that said I still need a little convincing to justify the 200$ purchase.
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is the 4e fighter incapable of using a bow? It used to be that you could be a very proficient archer that way. Everybody only talks about rangers or rogues as archers.
  • Options
    dequixoticdequixotic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If someone was going to convince me to buy this game what are a run down of the pro's and con's? I really love the neverwinter campaign so I'm really tempted to buy hero of the north. But that said I still need a little convincing to justify the 200$ purchase.

-Forgotten Realms setting that has been home to many commercial and homebrew adventures (Drizzt, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc.)
    -Fast-paced, reactive Action RPG combat focused on positioning and movement
    -Fully fleshed out character creation system and deep classes as opposed to many classes that aren't balanced or executed well
    -New races and classes are promised to be added to the game for the foreseeable future
    -Free to play, but not play to win
    -The most fully featured and deep instance/quest/campaign creator seen in an MMO and seamless integration of UGC into the MMO
    -Instead of long, grindy raids at endgame, expect challenging, hour long, five man dungeon delves that harken back to D&D.
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    dequixotic wrote: »
    -Forgotten Realms setting that has been home to many commercial and homebrew adventures (Drizzt, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc.)
    -Fast-paced, reactive Action RPG combat focused on positioning and movement
    -Fully fleshed out character creation system and deep classes as opposed to many classes that aren't balanced or executed well
    -New races and classes are promised to be added to the game for the foreseeable future
    -Free to play, but not play to win
    -The most fully featured and deep instance/quest/campaign creator seen in an MMO and seamless integration of UGC into the MMO
    -Instead of long, grindy raids at endgame, expect challenging, hour long, five man dungeon delves that harken back to D&D.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone to spend money on a pig in a poke and until NDA is lifted and we start getting information that is what this game is.

That is a good list and the only one I would disagree with and this is my opinion only based on what I've seen released we do not have deep characters but rather shallow themed options. ( I am waiting and hoping to be proven wrong )

Which comes back to the the archer question. I haven't seen anything that says a ranged martial class will be available at launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    perdidurperdidur Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2013
    It is almost certain that an Archer class will not make launch and it is heavily rumored that the Ranger that is currently being worked on is a Duel-Weilder and not an Archer. Lord knows when any Archer class will get released. I always play an Archer in all rpgs so this is crucial to me and is preventing me from buying the Founders Packs. The Rogue looks nice so I guess that will tide me over.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Is the 4e fighter incapable of using a bow? It used to be that you could be a very proficient archer that way. Everybody only talks about rangers or rogues as archers.

The 4E Fighter is certainly capable of using a bow (although not as well as a Ranger), but Neverwinter is only loosely inspired by 4E.

Classes in Neverwinter have their own particular set of weapon they use, and those weapons are bound to that specific class. So, for example, a Guardian Fighter uses a one-handed weapon and shield, and cannot use the two-handed weapons that a Great Weapon Fighter uses. There's been no indication that either class of Fighters gets a bow, and I doubt they do.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    If they introduce an archer class, they would almost certainly pick the ranger, because otherwise they'd have three fighters, a cleric, and a mage. This isn't D&D Neverwinter Fighters. :)

Of course, it'll be easier to introduce an arcane striker, since they already have Control Wizards, and thus have many of the mechanisms built in already. Ultimately, a combination of market research and triage will determine where they go; if enough people really really want archers, and many fewer want arcane strikers (what would they call that? Damage Sorceror perhaps? Blaster Wizard?), then they'll probably do it even if it's more work. If it's close, and one's less work, it'll happen first.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    If they introduce an archer class, they would almost certainly pick the ranger, because otherwise they'd have three fighters, a cleric, and a mage. This isn't D&D Neverwinter Fighters. :)

Of course, it'll be easier to introduce an arcane striker, since they already have Control Wizards, and thus have many of the mechanisms built in already. Ultimately, a combination of market research and triage will determine where they go; if enough people really really want archers, and many fewer want arcane strikers (what would they call that? Damage Sorceror perhaps? Blaster Wizard?), then they'll probably do it even if it's more work. If it's close, and one's less work, it'll happen first.

I think they are basing it on the first D&D game - the one with fighter, mage, thief and cleric.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I think they are basing it on the first D&D game - the one with fighter, mage, thief and cleric.

Technically, the first D&D had no Thief class. Just Fighting-Man, Cleric, and Magic-User.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    They are working on the Ranger, currenty that is all we know, but we believe the trickster rogue will be able to use a bow.

hey Deathssickle you got a link to that? I am very interested in bow users without pets and this might be yet another consideration as my main.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    throw ye little sticks elven panzies. While us real warriors be throwin around some steel!
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I demand my Elven proficiency at using bows regardless of class!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is with sad confirmation I must say the ranger working on is not for launch and is melee. I have no news of a bow or ranged ranger. :(

And I have a few words I can't post here about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is with sad confirmation I must say the ranger working on is not for launch and is melee. I have no news of a bow or ranged ranger. :(

*weeps uncontrollably*
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

Rumors says that Scourge Warlock is already in the works. That is for the arcane striker.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    irtuirtu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    That is to bad the ranger class in the 4E was fun.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is, including the hunter variant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grimleighgrimleigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I was considering a purchase of a NWN pack, but this confirmation has convinced me not to wate my money, will be sticking with GW2 I guess.
  • Options
    perdidurperdidur Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2013
    I fear that Cryptic is going to delay the Archer Ranger until after TESO beta starts and I will probably move on to that. I really have no interest in playing a non-archer character. I wonder if there is some problem in getting the archery targeting down. It just seems odd that there will be no archers at launch.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd like to see an archery ranger as well. But I think we have to lay the blame for the Melee ranger where it belongs: squarely at the feet of Drizzt.

The $200 price tag for the Renegade background + panther pet tells us, if we did not know already, that the single biggest payout in this IP is Drizzt, and he is a two-weapon Melee ranger. (Of course, he can also use a bow. But this is not his trademark.)

Getting a two-weapon Drow ranger with a panther pet into the game as a playable option is a very high priority for this game design. Higher than an archery class.
  • Options
    drewbert1drewbert1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If the warrior can't use a bow that's just silly as they are supposed to be at least proficient with all weapons. Even wow let you do this, up until the last expansion at least.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    hey Deathssickle you got a link to that? I am very interested in bow users without pets and this might be yet another consideration as my main.

Look at this thread.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]