test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry missions, Themepark MMO's and you.

zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
While I normally loathe assigning names to people based on pre-suppositions but I will do so for the sake of this post, I will also make assumptions so if it offends you do not read further. In context they can be powerful arguments if the assumptions are backed by some validity.

There’s been a growing clamor about the MMO genre for more sandbox systems in MMO’s recently but suffice it to say, sandbox is almost always relegated to the confines of the indie developer because often times they contain gaming systems which bare little fruit in a triple-A title. Things like Free-For-All Full-Loot PvP and heavy crafting centric systems are niche at best. Now I have always stated you can build a quality sandbox without some of those niche systems but to do so means alienating your core demographics. Putting them in the game means alienating potential players you’re trying to attract. SO’ in this sense the Sandbox model for the time being will stay within the realms of Indie publishers. Baring the rare exceptions.

What does this have to do with the obvious themepark game of Neverwinter, you may ask? Well a huge part of me can’t help but think that User-Generated-Content is the future for the themepark sub-genre. It allows the developers time to add more polished and lasting content to the game when often times the user base is clamoring for more content after devouring what was initially implemented. Content can’t realistically be developed within the average “content-locusts” time frame. Therefore a lot of players end up quitting due to a lack of “endgame”.

Fans of NWO, I ask you to spread the possibilities of “The Foundry” and what it can do for the game. The more DM’s, hard core’s, and fans of long term gaming that we can reach to try the game, publish “great” Foundry Missions, the better this game will become. Be a Paul Revere for Neverwinter, I implore you.

Thanks for reading
Z
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Character is what a man is in the dark
Post edited by zylaxx on

Comments

• Options
    necalannecalan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think the Foundry will be a great tool for new content. My only worry, is that people will find a way to take advantage of the tool to farm loot and XP in a way that would be considered unfair.
  • Options
    lolwutruevendoinlolwutruevendoin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A Nice well written post! I also hope people make some solid interesting quests in the game.
  • Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Yep. The Foundry is why I am so interested in this game. I've been watching it for a long while now, but now I am finally a part of the community, mostly because the classes (which had been under wraps for a while) are now more or less public. Yet it is the Foundry that makes me want to play. I hate getting quest-locked and I hate grinding. I also don't like repeating quests for alts, so I never create serious ones. Al that takes the fun out of MMORPGs and makes it more about the destination (endgame) with its often dubious benefits than the journey. I want a great journey, not just a destination.

Neverwinter, with its Foundry, should give both a great journey and a great endgame, not to mention the opportunity to create content the way I want it.

Can't wait!
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    necalan wrote: »
    I think the Foundry will be a great tool for new content. My only worry, is that people will find a way to take advantage of the tool to farm loot and XP in a way that would be considered unfair.

They are supposed to have system with lots of checks and balancing to stop those kinds of abuses.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    A Nice well written post! I also hope people make some solid interesting quests in the game.

I plan to.

"Be the change you want to see in [Neverwinter]." - Ghandi-ish
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    meldroth wrote: »
    They are supposed to have system with lots of checks and balancing to stop those kinds of abuses.

They've had 14 months of trial and error with STO's Foundry as well.

My only hope is we can make the missions as challenging and as lengthy as possible. I understand not alot of people want to spend hours in a dungeon but some of us get our kicks off that sort of depth. It was one of the greatest reasons why Asheron's Call will forever hold my #1 MMO of all time. Nothing as fun (for me) as spending 3+ hours in a good group exploring the intracies of a dungeon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I also think that the implementation of user-generated content has the potential to revolutionize MMOs on a scale that hasn't been seen perhaps since the introduction of the Free to Play model.

It's interesting to note that both of these systems will have origins with Dungeons and Dragons games.
  • Options
    crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Totally agree! I hope players find satisfaction in exploring Foundry content as a big part of the endgame. You're always gonna hit a wall if character progression and gear are your only endgame goals, but the Foundry is a huge venue for quests of every type. If you've played a lot of STO Foundry content you've probably found some gems that really display the power of the sandbox potential of it.

What excites me the most is that each new feature they add to the Foundry has the potential to change the game. Persistent maps, map sharing between authors, user-created PVP maps... sorry have to stop getting too excited!

Also kudos, your post sounds awesome when read in a British accent! :D
    zylaxx wrote: »
    What does this have to do with the obvious themepark game of Neverwinter, you may ask? Well a huge part of me can’t help but think that User-Generated-Content is the future for the themepark sub-genre. It allows the developers time to add more polished and lasting content to the game when often times the user base is clamoring for more content after devouring what was initially implemented. Content can’t realistically be developed within the average “content-locusts” time frame. Therefore a lot of players end up quitting due to a lack of “endgame”.
    Z