test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Recommended Reading

radnomadradnomad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If you were introducing someone to NWO who is into MMOs, but unfamiliar with DnD, what 2-3 books would you make sure they read, before Gauntlgrym, to best understand the politics, and lore of the FR?
Post edited by radnomad on

Comments

• Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    radnomad wrote: »
    If you were introducing someone to NWO who is into MMOs, but unfamiliar with DnD, what 2-3 books would you make sure they read, before Gauntlgrym, to best understand the politics, and lore of the FR?

Start with the Halfling's Gem and go from there. R.A. Salvatore is my favorite author, and Drizzt is the inspiration of every MMO character I have ever made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Hmmm...hard to say.

I would definitely read Homeland. Homeland displays an alien society as well as vividly describes the Fighter, Cleric and Wizard classes in all their (2nd Ed) glory.

Other than that Elminster: Making of a Mage...

And of course the Fourth Edition Player Handbook. :D
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    radnomad wrote: »

Maybe a DnD manual (or 5)?
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    *rummages through my bookshelf*

Okay, it's really my brother's collection but, maybe The Haunted Lands trilogy? Nothing says FR politics like backstabbing Red Wizards and Szass Tam. Also touches upon magic lore, like having distinct schools of magic, (and if memory serves) pre-Spellplague wizards blasting each other in a post-Spellplague world (ie that period of time where no one properly knew how magic worked post-Spellplague). And also, Dread Rings which seems to play a role in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited January 2013
    No books, just make them play the BG series and then the NWN series
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    percadin wrote: »

I think looking at a 4.0 PH would help along with what you said
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The DnD Forgotten Realms Player's Guide or the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (both 4th Ed) may also be interesting books to read through to get an idea of the workings of FR.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Haunted Lands Trilogy by Richard Lee Byers is an amazing read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited January 2013
    I wonder how much 4.0 is really going to affect the game itself.. It seems that all the 4.0 dealings will be done 'behind the scenes' so to speak
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That is a hard one if it's just 2-3 books. Umm yeah I'd go with the last szass tam book and the 2 gauntlgrym books. If it's more than 2, the series of szass tam by richard baker, the R.A salvatore novels leading up to the spellplague, and I believe it's the empyrean oddyssey, if only the second book for the murder of mystra. They give a good idea of whats going on with the dread rings, neverwinter, and the spell plague.
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would recommend the Avatar series based on the Time of Troubles but I don' t think they are in print anymore. It's a good series because it introduces a few mortals who eventually ascend to godhood and they end up being key figures in FR lore.

For books in print, I'd start with The Crystal Shard which introduced Drizzt to the world. It's interesting to see how the character has evolved since he was introduced. Drizzt was a very neat character early on before he got all moody. And the story itself is decent and it's a good starter book to introduce people to Faerun. Elaine Cunningham's series on the moonblade is a good series also.

And I know this last suggestion isn't a novel but buying the campaign or player's guide to the FR is a good idea. The 3ed version is full of neat information but it's out of print. But I'm sure you can find one used.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Probably the best idea. And I believe the first BG game has been revived.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Probably the best idea. And I believe the first BG game has been revived.
    yes it has been revived

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I wonder how much 4.0 is really going to affect the game itself.. It seems that all the 4.0 dealings will be done 'behind the scenes' so to speak

I have been able to accurately predict new classes due to it, I think it will play a role on the races and classes not yet announced coming out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    radnomadradnomad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    That is a hard one if it's just 2-3 books. Umm yeah I'd go with the last szass tam book and the 2 gauntlgrym books. If it's more than 2, the series of szass tam by richard baker, the R.A salvatore novels leading up to the spellplague, and I believe it's the empyrean oddyssey, if only the second book for the murder of mystra. They give a good idea of whats going on with the dread rings, neverwinter, and the spell plague.

Thanks for all the input thus far. Szass books are def a good read. Now I am thinking I am going to go back and read a few. lol
  • Options
    iselin99iselin99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013

It's what I was thinking too. It's been a long time since I played either. Can someone refresh my memory...how does the timeline for this new game compare to the older games? And... Wasn't NWN 4th Ed... Or was it 3rd? I remember Feats but not Dailies
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    iselin99 wrote: »
    It's what I was thinking too. It's been a long time since I played either. Can someone refresh my memory...how does the timeline for this new game compare to the older games? And... Wasn't NWN 4th Ed... Or was it 3rd? I remember Feats but not Dailies

Going from memory so I could be wrong but I think I'm right.

Baldur's Gate was based on 2ed AD&D.
    NWN was based on 3ed.
    NWN2 was based on 3.5ed.

4ed completely changed how magic works in D&D including Faerun. Before it was all Vancian magic (if you cast a spell you lose it and have to memorize it again). Now you can reuse certain spells over and over depending upon various situations. And there are powerful daily spells you can only use once per day.
  • Options
    kheldrynkheldryn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd suggest reading R.A. Salvatores works. The stories with Drizzt and his companions are a joy to read and introduce you into Faerun nicely. There are others as well, who's authors I don't know offhand, The Spellfire Wielder ones and such are also good.. and anything with the Elminster in it tend to be good also. Assuming you friend can find them you could also just suggest the older Neverwinter games.
    Vice Admiral Kheldryn B'ourne-United Federation of Planets-Engineer
    "On my planet, we live underground. We're at home in space, Its dark. Let the darkness show us the way."
    "I found a bug in Beta, Cryptic squished it. STO Founder and Proud LTS member."
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    2-3 books? Neverwinter campaign guide 4e. The Neverwinter series by R. A. Salvatore. That is your 2-3 books.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Book reading makes the movie not look as good. The game books will make the mmo look limited. So I'll point them to all the other 4E games instead!

No, it can't be the only game out! Not THAT GAME?!

(Sees the game published by A-word which is D-word and runs off screaming in terror.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Book reading makes the movie not look as good. The game books will make the mmo look limited. So I'll point them to all the other 4E games instead!

No, it can't be the only game out! Not THAT GAME?!

(Sees the game published by A-word which is D-word and runs off screaming in terror.)

There is one more which was shipped with its guts intact - heroes of Neverwinter. The facebook game.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There is one more which was shipped with its guts intact - heroes of Neverwinter. The facebook game.

Hmmph, I thought you said INTACT! Seems not fully intact to ME!

(anyway, time wasters don't count! I asked the drow to water my crops though:p)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hmmph, I thought you said INTACT! Seems not fully intact to ME!

(anyway, time wasters don't count! I asked the drow to water my crops though:p)

It was released as a teaser for this game, right?
    *giggle*

But wait! It had dragonborn. Does that mean dragonborn would be in?!!

DUN! DUN! DUN!
  • Options
    hippyohippyo Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would recommend the Avatar series based on the Time of Troubles but I don' t think they are in print anymore.

A digital version has been released for the Kindle reader and an audible version has recently been anounced (amazon).

And here is my post about sources that relate to the game of NWO and the lore behind it: (i think they should sticky it but i haven't found a button to request stickage)
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?17251-Literary-corner&p=282941#post282941
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really wouldn't start him with Guntlagrym......too many references that will confuse you if you haven't kept up with Drizzit, I would start with the Halflings gem it is a great intro to the Realms.....and slap him the first time he says any character in there is a rip of of WoW.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I'm currently reading the Sage of Shadowdale series even though the only Elminster book I've read is the first one. What caught my interest is that randomly browsing through the FR wiki, I found out that this series has something to do with a certain dead goddess that I find so fascinating.