test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Info

aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
A new (and rare) post on facebook has appeard on nwo page.
"If you're ready for your Neverwinter adventure in 2013, pick up the December 2012 issue of Game Informer and preview what's ahead! Learn more about the Foundry, the fast-paced combat system, and the challenging dungeons you
Post edited by aeroth001 on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, just saw the similar feed on twitter.
    Pick up the December 2012 issue of @gameinformer for a preview of the Foundry, and the challenging dungeons you'll face in @NeverwinterGame!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think I know now why they are advertising a F2P digital game on Game informer friend who works at GS corporate told me that there is a boxed collectors edition in the works for 39.99, it's suppose to be a Gamestop exclusive.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I read the article they were not able to preview the Foundry and the actual article is not even a one pager.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah and GS never is wrong about their release info...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I think I know now why they are advertising a F2P digital game on Game informer friend who works at GS corporate told me that there is a boxed collectors edition in the works for 39.99, it's suppose to be a Gamestop exclusive.

doesn't that defeat the purpose of being F2P? Or is this just another type scam, big corporate drains blood from us?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    health002 wrote: »
    doesn't that defeat the purpose of being F2P? Or is this just another type scam, big corporate drains blood from us?

Not really.
    Those boxed versions are supposed to contain exclusive content like pets and other "vanity" items - maybe a title too. Hence it is like buying something from in-game cash shop - except that the items they have are exclusive. Maybe those vanity items don't have any level restriction either (like, suppose, a pet usually requiring lvl 20 available from lvl 1)

It does not (or should not) contain what they are not going to sell already like exclusive content, class or race. That is all.
  • Options
    remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have some in game item from PAX but thats all I know of. Its been said multiple times that they wont sell classes and races but I am still worried.

Selling stuff like that is so lame.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Folks, I'm sorry my mild sarcasm was missed, and I'll try not to speak ill of other companies that can sell products that may advertise promotion to this game, but Gamestop is NOTORIOUSLY BAD for false claims of release dates and even making up their own estimates. I've personally gotten employees to admit the company has "estimated" their own date (note the plural employees.) Honestly, until I hear about this so-called box from another source that is reputable, I don't buy it one bit, and they should not be used as an "exclusive" benchmark.

Even when a "paid client" like the "Founders' Pack" for RaiderZ was done by PWE's MAIET Entertainment, it was downloaded, not sold in retail stores.

I see no plans yet for Cryptic to make "Collector's Editions," as if they were, they'd start building hype for it months ago. When specialty editions are made, one store may get an exclusive, but almost never does only one store sell the only "Collector's Edition" of said game.

Now, if Gamestop wants to show some proof or state they have a non-disclosure on future info but will release something as soon as that is lifted, then I might take it a little more seriously.

But no way am I ever paying a cent for reserving stuff on their so-called release schedule without outside confirmation. I've been burnt way too often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wildheartz12wildheartz12 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If it's free to play then is there going to be an item shop in the actual game itself? And why can't I start new topics?
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Yes, there will be an item shop. I would really recommend you follow the links I provided to you in the Blackdagger video thread, also poke around in the forum before posting so you can see what has already been discussed as well as using the forum search.

[please list the links in any replies like this in the future: [URL="http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=634&feature=7010]"]http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=634&feature=7010[/URL][URL="http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=634&feature=7010]"]][/URL]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If it's free to play then is there going to be an item shop in the actual game itself? And why can't I start new topics?

Item shops aren't going to be a physical location in game per se, but per the Cryptic history, you will have a in-game link to open an item shop to buy cosmetic items.

As for the latter, PM Sent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The real questions is who will buy a game that is average at best ?

I want this game to be awsome so bad but from all I see until now....
  • Options
    xlebonilxlebonil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Lets not be hasty aeroth001 i believe we have not seen all the game has to offer. Lets play the game first and then make conclusions I also want the game to be awesome.
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    The real questions is who will buy a game that is average at best ?

I want this game to be awsome so bad but from all I see until now....

Well, you don't really have to BUY this game to play it, now do you? Hopefully it doesn't answer your question in a negative way =/
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The problem is not like that is: if the game is weak it will not be sold and it will not produce income for the company => they will not upgrade the game => the game will not get money because it will not get upgraded and remain in it's release weak form...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    ...Hablas espanol?

Hahaha! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On a serious note, the game does need a lot of users to sell especially as it is f2p. the more users come in to check, the better the reason to invest more in game infrastructure (read budget)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Hahaha! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On a serious note, the game does need a lot of users to sell especially as it is f2p. the more users come in to check, the better the reason to invest more in game infrastructure (read budget)

But if the game is weak at release allot of the fanbase will scatter. The only players that are gonna play it are the hardcore d&d and let's be honest we are not that many willing to play a weak game just for the sake of d&d....we got ddo for that:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    But if the game is weak at release allot of the fanbase will scatter. The only players that are gonna play it are the hardcore d&d and let's be honest we are not that many willing to play a weak game just for the sake of d&d....we got ddo for that:cool:

Hence the reason for delay ... if they deliver a weak game after so much delay, do you think fans won't tear them to shreds?

But seriously, they have put in a lot of effort from the game - a lot of info out there and on forums clearly shows this. Only their marketing team is a lot lacking. They have severely underplayed the potential of this game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The potential of any d&d (forgotten realms) is huge. I really hope they pull this one. I want this game to be awesome, I want it to surpass baldur's gate 2
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The potential of any d&d (forgotten realms) is huge. ...

Even apart from that. For example take foundry.

The foundry has potential to easily surpass NWN2's toolset - but they have not yet demoed or talked about a single advanced feature of foundry. They are concentrating on how a user who has never done a mod in his whole life can do when he first grabs foundry - i.e. the missions which one can make in a minute or so. But they are not talking about advanced features which come out only after you have messed around with foundry for 2-3 months or so.

Problem is, most of the modders are actually seeing foundry as "a tool to create kill and loot adventures". When asked if it is possible to make side quests and other things like that - they said no. This is actually wrong - you can make a mission with many sidequests in foundry - though you cannot assign any loot to it, apart from monster drops. Yeah it is not supported but it can easily be done.

There are many small things which show how much they have underplayed the potential of the game.

Although I can understand the reason that they are not sure before beta if unexpected problem come up and if they talk about an advanced feature it may not be there in game. But there are solutions.

One would be, not to talk, but to make a map in foundry -- an advanced one -- and let users play it. And then casually say "this was designed by a single user who made it in 2 weeks. We are looking forward to collaborations which can produce even more high quality content."

Now what this does is - impress people. People will think, wt9h?(what the nine hells?) You can make this! After demoing that, you just show them features which will surely be there and skip advanced features. If they ask how they did it, casually toss it aside saying "they involve some complex logic, but you can check STO foundry's tutorials for it. Meanwhile we will be putting up tutorials for NW too when we release the game."

Even if features change, and making that kind of ma will not be possible, modders will get an idea on how awesome foundry is and the high level which can be achieved. That will make real hard-core modders from NWN and other games to come and try the foundry as a challenge.