test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion: Target Zone

wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
There are two ways to suggest this but the over all suggestion is that there should be target zones on the body which can be attacked to add a great visual aspect to combat.

Method 1) Target to debuff: This is the less likely option, but since this is an action based aim and fire type game it would be fun if you could target various parts of the body to various effects. Target the legs to slow movement, target the arms to disable attacks briefly, target the head to apply confuse. Things like that would add a nice little component to lesser enemies (greater enemies like sub bosses and bosses would have a lower chance of success) and maybe pvp with out being all that game breaking. It would also allow greater benefit to using certain weapons as certain classes.

Method 2) Identify debuff: This is the easier option, but frankly the idea here is that when an attack applies a certain effect, the target area would visually be effected, but this would be based on the proc of the attack, not where the attack lands. If i have a bow that has +% to slow an enemy, when the proc hits, they take an arrow in the foot or thigh (no career ending knee shots here). It it's a crit perhaps an arrow to a more dramatic place like the shoulder. But based on what ever type of debuff applied, the target would have some damage showing as such.

Bow's could be an arrow to where ever, swords could be a spot that looks like blood is soaking through on the area, magic could have a similar effect based on if it's elemental or such. It wouldn't seem to be too hard either since STO already has something like this in place in terms of subsystem targeting, and all it really is would be a visual representation on the character instead of a status by their health bar.
Post edited by wraithshadow13 on

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    This doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to implement with the aiming system as it looks currently, and very fitting for a reticle targeting based action MMO. Plus, adding an amount of realism (like arrows lodged in an opponents leg slowing him down) is always cool.

However I'm sure there are already abilities planned like Hamstring, so being able to emulate a class ability simply by aiming might provide difficulties in game balance.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    true, but it could also add more strategy by allowing benefits to better aiming or timing of shots. and if they go with method two, then it's just a really cool visual instead of just an icon by the health bar
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    (no career ending knee shots here)

bahaha i just caught that
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No idea how easy or difficult it is for this system here but I like it! I'm a big fan of disarm when it comes to the D&D game (including NEXT if they set it up right,) and a big fan of the tongue in cheek when it comes to called shots...well, not sure what language I should use here besides the bags of holding, just watch this link
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    how much i see if they implant pvp whit this system will benefit mostly sins since they have stealth :) so would easy for them to target weak spots and hit
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I'd really love to see something like that implemented.

My friend's number one complaint about DDO was that he had a FPS Aiming layout but when he fired his bow he saw his arrows curve and felt like there was no point in making him aim.
    Now I know first hand Neverwinter won't be as loose as DDO with hitting people you aren't even facing but I sincerely hope they can put some sort of increased damage hit boxes so that where I aim does feel important.

They probably shouldn't control criticals but it would be interesting to see a smaller damage increase for hitting heads, knees or shoulders.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ... knees or ....

Knees are a vital point for an adventurer - especially the arrows called adventurer bane. They banish the adventurer to permanent retirement.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It would really be a nice game mechanic that would add a lot of fun to the game as well as be relatively easy to implement. if i'm plugging some one with arrows in a fight it kind of breaks immersion when they don't stick or at least have a few in there some where, granted too many can also be ridiculous, bu adding the further layer into that would make a nice point of interest for the game.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    It would really be a nice game mechanic that would add a lot of fun to the game as well as be relatively easy to implement. if i'm plugging some one with arrows in a fight it kind of breaks immersion when they don't stick or at least have a few in there some where, granted too many can also be ridiculous, bu adding the further layer into that would make a nice point of interest for the game.

Maybe, but considering that only for the sake of immersion the graphic artists would have to make models compensating for every species with every combination of numbers of arrows sticking out of the body at every conceivable angle with varying types of ammunition images, just in the possibility that someone MIGHT be using a bow and arrow. Not to mention that Foundry authors can change the anatomical proportions of some creatures (video link somewhere). That might take a little more time and slow down the game just from having something as small as an image of an arrow sticking out of someone. The blade might be considered as well, because there's the angle of attack, type of attack, more damage might equal deeper cut, and where on the body.

Lots of people might disagree with me, but check out FFXIV's version 1 battle regimen system about disabling various body parts on bosses through player attack patterns. I think that's one area that was really well done (though most people close their ears and go LALALALALA whenever the game is mentioned).
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I was happy to see in some of the gameplay videos that arrows do stick in them (or you!) when shot with one.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My friend's number one complaint about DDO was that he had a FPS Aiming layout but when he fired his bow he saw his arrows curve and felt like there was no point in making him aim.

Yeah, DDO's ranged combat has always been pretty borked. But DDO's melee combat is my favorite of any MMO I've ever played, and I prefer melee in general, so DDO fit me quite well.

Hopefully Neverwinter's melee combat is at least is good as DDO's (true strafing, and attacks that don't override/block moving around with WASD!), and ranged combat that isn't as completely boring and tactic-less as I've found it in all other MMOs. True FPS style ranged combat would really help there.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I wasn't even talking about the fact the arrows curve, as that has to happen in general, but more or less the leniency they have on their aiming.
    If you fire a bow and simply have an enemy within around the halfway point of the aiming reticule the arrow will start going to the aimed location and then curve to hit the target like something out of wanted. You were in no way aiming at the thing yet it still fired to it.

That's not a "oh well the creature moved" so the arrow had to curve as would happen on occassion in NWN...it is just a poor mechanic which also effects melee yet it's less noticable. You do not, absolutely do not, have to aim at a creature but rather when you swing it simply chooses the target closest to the reticule to check for success or failure.

I know in NW aiming is more important with only minor assistance but I'd love to see having good aim be beneficial. Even the simplest of MMO's has head-shots.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'd be pretty surprised but not unhappy if they have head shots.
    I'd also like to see them not giving much leniency to the targeting reticle - the more that skill is necessary to aim the better. I'm willing to give some ground on that one, tho. I'm not looking for a Q3 paced DnD game, heh.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    why headshots for ranged only? why not melee (called decapitation) like in Rune? Especially in that game, undead could only die from decapitation(or fire) and were immortal otherwise.

EDIT: Only downside was bigger was better - as greater range allowed you more chance to decapitate (as the decapitation was actually touching of sword with the neck). Also height advantage meant that your neck was higher...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You do not, absolutely do not, have to aim at a creature but rather when you swing it simply chooses the target closest to the reticule to check for success or failure.

My understanding is that in DDO, the reticule isn't really used at all in melee, but rather it's based on an arc in front of your character corresponding to the path your weapons take in the attack animations. Which I think is entirely reasonable for melee combat. I'd actually prefer it not be strictly reticule based; that could get silly in close quarters combat where the enemy is clearly in front of you where you're swinging your sword, but the reticule is just over the monster's shoulder or something.

Using the reticule makes a lot more sense for ranged combat.

To be honest, i never really used bows for anything in DDO (except switches) since I heard about how severely gimped they were pretty quickly, but I do recall ray spells being rather strict about aim, so I'm surprised bows aren't the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    quorforged wrote: »
    To be honest, i never really used bows for anything in DDO (except switches) since I heard about how severely gimped they were pretty quickly, but I do recall ray spells being rather strict about aim, so I'm surprised bows aren't the same.

Yeah. It was possible to outrun magic missile using monk ... difficult but possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I wouldn't want to miss because I was aiming above a shoulder with a reticule, but I swear there were times I could stand a 45-90 degree angles in DDO and still hit creatures. It was just a bit on the silly side.

And I really wouldn't want it to be "head shots" in the same regard as FPS Games, but base increased damage for aiming at specific locations of enemies' bodies. Aiming for their head, knees or shoulders resulting in increased base damage or something but not guaranteed criticals or instant kills.

If the reticule is above an enemy's shoulder I would still want it to count as a hit based on the attack swing...but if I am not even facing the enemy, as I often found in DDO, I shouldn't do damage to it.
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    u guys bringing up DDO made me remember something from that.What about Vorpal weapons? Are they still in DnD 4edition ,and if so how would that work in this game? i remember back when DDO first came out u rolled a 20 it really didnt show a head lop off ;/ then they nurf the bloody thing,making it hard as hell to cleave threw hundreds of cobalts
  • Options
    johannekirkjohannekirk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No. This is D&D, not RuneQuest, or, god-forbid, Aftermath...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    no more insta-death in 4e.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    no more insta-death in 4e.

So they took vorpal weapons out of D&D then? how sad ,next thing your gonna tell me is we wont get major wish :/
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    So they took vorpal weapons out of D&D then? how sad ,next thing your gonna tell me is we wont get major wish :/

I think it was a smart move to remove most the insta-kills. They largely sidelined other PCs in situations where they were used, and could be troublesome for DMs. And they have no place in an MMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »

Taking out insta-death brings in balance in the game. It may be fun in pnp, but in an MMO it is the nightmare - even DDO made changes so that vorpal will only do limited damage to boss mobs on elite.

Bringing in insta-death means everyone uses either a vorpal or finger of death and no other spell.

EDIT: This is because most of the end fights are something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPSV0fb9vQ
    Where only insta death works.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It's always disappointing to see your favorite spell not make it into a game or get nerfed when it's there, but some things just have to be adjusted for game balance.

Again, I'm not mad at all about the insta-kill thing. If I really want to brag about being a crazy necromancer, maybe I can convince my friends to join a locally hosted BG2 with me. But that wouldn't really be much fun for them, running behind me watching me insta-kill everything - which is exactly why it won't be in this MMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Taking out insta-death brings in balance in the game. It may be fun in pnp, but in an MMO it is the nightmare - even DDO made changes so that vorpal will only do limited damage to boss mobs on elite.

Bringing in insta-death means everyone uses either a vorpal or finger of death and no other spell.

EDIT: This is because most of the end fights are something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPSV0fb9vQ
    Where only insta death works.

yeah i see what you mean ,i do remember tons of people using duel paralizers and duel vorpals lol.It did get out of hand
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I strongly dislike insta-kills in PnP, and was glad to see them revised in DDO, although it wasn't 100% to my liking.

My favorite take on insta-kills that I've seen is to have abilities that do some damage, then kill immediately if the enemy is reduced to some threshold of current HP by the attack. This means that insta-kills can still look like insta-kills, but can be essentially treated like situational bonus damage when it comes to balancing them. You can have impressive spells that clear at hordes of low HP enemies, but don't trivialize bosses, and can be reasonably balanced against normal damage.

That idea is actually from the WotC D&D:Next design blog, but unfortunately they haven't actually put it in any of the playtest packets. And DDO does something similar for Vorpal, but with a threshold that's too low; it needs to scale up like damage in general does to work properly.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    In 4e, PC don't have insta-kills but some monsters do rarely. However even in monsters case you get to roll on 3 different saves before you die. So it is quite fair. Though monsters having insta-kills is quite rare too. I haven't encountered one in my sessions yet who killed me and I have played quite a lot.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They had targetable body part in the original design for City of Heroes, however they took it out.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    4e Did remove instant save or die/death, but failing multiple saves could kill you, such as failing a beholder's ray that killed/petrified you eventually. Based on this concept and the overall 4E rules, vorpal weapons do exist, as such, note the l 30 weapon making it an epic tier weapon and not something normally found until around level 26 or so at earliest:

Vorpal WeaponLevel 30 Rare

There is nothing as sharp as the bite of a vorpal blade.

Lvl 30
    +6
    3,125,000 gp

Weapon: Axe or heavy blade
    Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls
    Critical: +1d12 damage per plus
    Property

Whenever you roll the maximum result on any damage die for this weapon, roll that die again and add the additional result to the damage total. If a reroll results in another maximum damage result, roll it again and keep adding.

Power x.gif Daily (Free Action)

You use this power when you hit with the weapon. The attack deals 3d12 extra damage.

As for the return of the instakill, it's being debated in D&D NEXT and most likely will be offered as an optional DM rule.

But not here or in 4E for these weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]