test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dragonborn (cont.)

auldwolfauldwolf Member Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Original Thread Reference: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?11431-Dragonborn
This is my favorite race in the first PH in DND 4.0. Anyone else like them and want them included in Neverwinter?

Decided to necro this rather than actually create a new thread. I hope they'll have Dragonborn in there. To be honest, Dragonborn was the deciding factor as to whether I'd play or not. They're a core 4E race, and my favourite. So if the Dragonborn aren't present, then I won't be playing. This was pretty much the reason that I and a bunch of friends became interested in this, because 4E is supposed to be more interesting than 3.5, and this is supposed to be a 4E game.

I don't want to to play a human, a short human, a shorter human, a tall and fat human, a pointy eared human, or a human with horns. I'm really hoping that they'll put Dragonborn in there. Because if not? Welp, game's off my list, since they're my favourite race.
Post edited by auldwolf on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dragonborn would probably not make it at launch. This is because of the fact that all animations and armor pieces would need to be made differently for dragonborn. Due to their unique jawline, I believe there are going to be many fights among devs just to figure out a "friendly smile" animation of dragonborn.

Most probably in an update.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Personally wouldn't mind if they never make it to game. Last thing I want to see is Dragonborn left and right which will happen if they were included. If anything at a minimum they should make it where you actually have to be "reborn" to be Dragonborn.

~removed~
    edited November 2012
    .... Last thing I want to see is Dragonborn left and right which will happen if they were included. ....

That is exactly how they are supposed to be in Toril according to lore. Just like elves and dwarves.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    It might just be me, but these days, I don't exactly see "core races" or "lore" playing as much part in MMOs as the benefits those races would give if you chose to play one. I can see the whole server populated only by Dragonborn, but my questions, is who is going to know any of the lore of the race and who is going to just go around killing monsters with their breath weapon because it's cool.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    auldwolf wrote: »
    Original Thread Reference: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?11431-Dragonborn

Decided to necro this rather than actually create a new thread. I hope they'll have Dragonborn in there. To be honest, Dragonborn was the deciding factor as to whether I'd play or not. They're a core 4E race, and my favourite. So if the Dragonborn aren't present, then I won't be playing. This was pretty much the reason that I and a bunch of friends became interested in this, because 4E is supposed to be more interesting than 3.5, and this is supposed to be a 4E game.

I don't want to to play a human, a short human, a shorter human, a tall and fat human, a pointy eared human, or a human with horns. I'm really hoping that they'll put Dragonborn in there. Because if not? Welp, game's off my list, since they're my favourite race.

Yea, I'm with Devote on this. If you're seeing all other races as different versions of humans, then all dragonborn are is humans with scales stuck on their skin. And in either case, go have fun playing with panda's.
    edited November 2012
    LORE of Faerun for those who have not updated it

During spellplague, a portion of dragonborn of Tymanther were displaced and merged with Toril. The land of Unther dissappeared and was replaced by a portion of Tymanther. Dragonborn in Abeir used to be slaves to Dragons but in Tymanther they were able to obtain their freedom. Most of the dragonborn in Abeir are still slaves to dragon and this is the reason for undying hatred dragonborn have for dragons.

The Tymantherans still have a feeling of guilt for leaving their brethern behind but it has been 100 years since spellplague and the Dragonborn have settled in this new land of theirs.

The dragonborn still have Abeir pecularities - one of them being absence of deites and self-reliance. That being the reason dragonborn do not yet trust the alien deities. However, dragonborn are very honorable and respect the enemy and will never use treachery in a fight.

They have no thirst for war and they work hard to maintain peaceful diplomatic relations with neighboring kingdoms.

For those with hundred years of cobwebs on their lore, please update it.
    Dragonborn are not dragons
    Dragonborn are native to Toril for more than 100 years
    Dragonborn are essential to Toril
    Dragonborn have mingled with regions peacefully for 100 years
    Dragonborn race has nothing to do with what you are confusing as what sorcerers have as class (bloodline)
    Also, another thing to note is that because Dragonborn hate Dragons, many dragonborn adventurers have helped many kingdoms to raid dragon lairs. Hence dragonborn adventurers are very sought after by npc and accepted by adventure guilds as regular adventurers.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dragonborn are a solid part of 4E for the Points of Light history of the war betwen the Tieflings and Dragonborn, and are explained in the 4E lore for FR. If you support 4e you know why they are there. However, this race and other races may mor may not make it into the game by launch. Leaving a game over one race does seem rash, but it's your choice to make. It's a free game so the door is always open.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldryth1eldryth1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't really know much about 4th edition lore, but they sound pretty good from the descriptions in this thread. I'd like to see more races anyways, and they're certainly easier to add than classes. But with the Chinese site out now, it looks like we already know all of the launch races- Humans, Half Elves, Elves, Tieflings, Drow, Dwarves, and Halflings. Hopefully Dragonborn make it soon though! On the other hand, it would be very annoying to hear the almost inevitable complaints that the devs are ripping off Skyrim with that name, no matter how little sense it makes.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    eldryth1 wrote: »
    I don't really know much about 4th edition lore, but they sound pretty good from the descriptions in this thread. I'd like to see more races anyways, and they're certainly easier to add than classes. But with the Chinese site out now, it looks like we already know all of the launch races- Humans, Half Elves, Elves, Tieflings, Drow, Dwarves, and Halflings. Hopefully Dragonborn make it soon though! On the other hand, it would be very annoying to hear the almost inevitable complaints that the devs are ripping off Skyrim with that name, no matter how little sense it makes.

There will always be a person who falls on their head while typing, or someone who simply wants to troll. When Dragonborn race is released, expect the people to rage.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's one of the biggest mistakes made by SWTOR. All the races were humans, humans with head tails, humans with odd colors, humans with stuff on their faces which in a Star Wars game is unacceptable given the huge variety of awesome non human races. In STO they have caitians (way better than SWTOR's Cat people which are humans in kitty paint) and more importantly GORN, the lizard people. Even CO has lizard people a plenty, so if this game didn't include Dragonborn at the start, or wanted you to pay to play, then yeah, i couldn't blame people for dropping it early on.
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's one of the biggest mistakes made by SWTOR. All the races were humans, humans with head tails, humans with odd colors, humans with stuff on their faces which in a Star Wars game is unacceptable given the huge variety of awesome non human races. In STO they have caitians (way better than SWTOR's Cat people which are humans in kitty paint) and more importantly GORN, the lizard people. Even CO has lizard people a plenty, so if this game didn't include Dragonborn at the start, or wanted you to pay to play, then yeah, i couldn't blame people for dropping it early on.

I both agree and disagree here. First I agree, more options are always better when it comes to races, and SWTOR failed hard when it comes to conveying the iconic "otherness" of the SW universe. So I agree Dragonborn belong in the game.

What I disagree with is that they are vital to a launch, while I'd love them, I have this concept of a peculiar Dragonborn cleric, I don't have to have them from day one (even though I'd like it). I also disagree that paying for them is such a bad thing. Given that we are not buying a box for this game or paying a monthly sub, I'm ok with paying for things like a Dragonborn race, as long as it is not outrageously expensive. Now if I'm paying a monthly sub, I wouldn't want to be charged for the race.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Better right than fast and considering the hstory, I'm glad Cryptic is agreeing with this sentiment so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Better right than fast and considering the hstory, I'm glad Cryptic is agreeing with this sentiment so far.
    /Support

Wrong will put people and their stories off while void due to absence of lore can always be filled with correct lore by players.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    I both agree and disagree here. First I agree, more options are always better when it comes to races, and SWTOR failed hard when it comes to conveying the iconic "otherness" of the SW universe. So I agree Dragonborn belong in the game.

What I disagree with is that they are vital to a launch, while I'd love them, I have this concept of a peculiar Dragonborn cleric, I don't have to have them from day one (even though I'd like it). I also disagree that paying for them is such a bad thing. Given that we are not buying a box for this game or paying a monthly sub, I'm ok with paying for things like a Dragonborn race, as long as it is not outrageously expensive. Now if I'm paying a monthly sub, I wouldn't want to be charged for the race.

It's not that i think they're vital, but if they're not in at the start, it might be off putting for some, and offputting to others simply because they might be put in as a Pay to Play item later on based on how cryptic's done it so far.
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's not that i think they're vital, but if they're not in at the start, it might be off putting for some, and offputting to others simply because they might be put in as a Pay to Play item later on based on how cryptic's done it so far.

Given the fact that there is no monthly sub I would not be surprised if some races and other things like it are sold. They have to have some form of income, I just can't really see the game working without them selling things that bring them money and races seems like a good way to make money. Since I don't have to pay a sub, I'm happy to drop a few dollars for Dragonborn or even more for something like a Satyr. If that's offputting to some customers then I don't think they were going to make much money off of those people in any case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    After the racial bonuses are applied (which are minor, in my opinion), races generally ARE vanity items....