test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Divine Patrons

omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited November 2012 in The Temple
I hope that the full list from world pantheon list in the FRCG will be offered, even if clerics of exarchs get access to thier Greater Gods stuff instead of thier own goodies. For example llirra and Sharess clerics and Paladins could become heartwarders paragon path only the name of the path changes to that of thier priesthood, Sensates in Sharess' case.

Anyone else with an opinion on Divine Patrons?
Post edited by omegaphallic on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I hope that the full list from world pantheon list in the FRCG will be offered, even if clerics of exarchs get access to thier Greater Gods stuff instead of thier own goodies. For example llirra and Sharess clerics and Paladins could become heartwarders paragon path only the name of the path changes to that of thier priesthood, Sensates in Sharess' case.

Anyone else with an opinion on Divine Patrons?

Yeah, until we know how they changed clerics to work in the game instead of the PnP, I too wonder if the "deity access" matters and if the PP deity worship itself as prereqs will matter also.

Edit: Also, you have a duplicate thread. Please delete your other post in the other thread of the same name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    I really hope that there are different deities and paths associated with them. It would add incredible depth to the game. It would not be needed for good role play, but sure would enhance it.
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    talsic wrote: »
    I really hope that there are different deities and paths associated with them. It would add incredible depth to the game. It would not be needed for good role play, but sure would enhance it.

And even if they wouldn't add deitys to game you can always RP who from numerous deitys is your patron
    I am inactive and I know it
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Some old threads have stated that deity will not be available to chose.. you a cleric and that it, no specialty. While I'd love to chose Tempus as my patron however due to the nature of how MMOs can drastically change a classes mechanics I'd rather deities not be a factor in a class.

You can still RP and that I'll accept that, just wished I could have domains though but that's 3.5e and not sure how that translates in 4e or if it was a discarded element.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Deity have an important role in 4th edition. Some feats and powers can only be access if u belong to a specific deity, not mention about paragon paths.

But theres a small prob, at the begin no one will know which paragon path are related to a specific paragon, so when u reach the lvl to pick paragon path deitys can be a barrier to get the wished path. Changing deity doesnt seems to be a nice option just because the deity paragon path dont please u.

If they ever implement deitys (I rly hope they do) people should already know in advance which paragon paths that deity will allow so people wont have suprises in future :)

Also i think deities could work as faction, which we dont know if they will exist but insted of a cleric join the militia, thieves or merchants faction/guild they will join tempus or whatever deity u want/can access.

That sayed, and IF they implement any faction mechanism deities can be a part of it as long with many other beneficts like specific quests, teleport to diferent temples, special blessings from the gods, etc... etc...

Also theres the RP factor :)

Just "throwing" some ideas....
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Some old threads have stated that deity will not be available to chose...

I remember reading this. Deities they say will only change a few dialogue options but not anything significantly. That or my memory is playing tricks with me...

Regarding 4e, deities are important but not absolutely needed. e.g. power of cleric comes from worship and not from how happy the deity is. That means you can like a god of justice while doing injustice. Ofcourse, the temple would be your enemy, by if you worship more, you would be stronger than them in divine power.

Similarly avengers can worship more than one god and do the biding of even three gods at once. So the game can do away with deity and still be 4e based. Deities are RP anyways...
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    They could add in a similar mechanic to EQ2 where your priest powers are separate from your deity. However you can gain additional powers from gaining favor with the deity. The powers cost the favor you gain so you need to keep gaining favor to use the most powerful powers and some have medium to longish cooldowns.

This would need to happen as the game launched but could be something later to add depth to the game play.
  • foxybatfoxybat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Makes more sense to just select some deity-specific paragon paths if anything. You "choose" your deity by picking an appropriate path when you hit lvl 31.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Some old threads have stated that deity will not be available to chose.. you a cleric and that it, no specialty. While I'd love to chose Tempus as my patron however due to the nature of how MMOs can drastically change a classes mechanics I'd rather deities not be a factor in a class.

You can still RP and that I'll accept that, just wished I could have domains though but that's 3.5e and not sure how that translates in 4e or if it was a discarded element.

Actually the Warpriest has the old domains option. But it's unlikely we'll see this implemented in the MMO game, or at least not at launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Actually the Warpriest has the old domains option. But it's unlikely we'll see this implemented in the MMO game, or at least not at launch.

Are you sure about that? I was of the belief that anyone can use the domain powers after the "Divine Power" handbook.
    USING DOMAINS
    Your divine character gains access to the domains of
    his or her deity, which means you gain access to those
    domains feats. Each divine domain has a divinity
    feat and a domain feat associated with it. These feats
    follow the normal rules for feat selection.
    If your character worships multiple deities with
    a common theme (such as the three gods of destiny,
    Avandra, Ioun, and the Raven Queen), you gain
    access to all their domains.

Although I don't think that initial release will go beyond PHB1 though.
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I was of the belief that anyone can use the domain powers after the "Divine Power" handbook.

Although I don't think that initial release will go beyond PHB1 though.

I was focusing on the class, and it's unlikely it will be implemented in the MMO game at launch. Whether you can "use" the domain or not is always up to the DM. Certain official sanctioned games that you can bring your character to simply require you worship one non evil god or goddess and that's it. But that's PnP and not MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • endingdawnendingdawn Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2012
    Clerics and paladins will not be able to access true divine powers like certain characters in Faerun's history. In lore, The gods left the plane of exsistance to itself and disappeared. The only one known to have come come back was Lloth and she needed aid from Her high Priestess to do that.
    edited July 2012
    endingdawn wrote: »
    Clerics and paladins will not be able to access true divine powers like certain characters in Faerun's history. In lore, The gods left the plane of exsistance to itself and disappeared. The only one known to have come come back was Lloth and she needed aid from Her high Priestess to do that.

In the years around 1480 DR - relevant to game at hand - most gods live in astral planes with Asmodeus living in Bator. Selune was always in moon. Many gods do walk the planes of mortal worlds still.

However, access to divine powers is now completely unrelated to gods. The divine power and access to spells comes from faith and not from god themselves. i.e. it is possible to have your cleric fight your own deity(though highly improbable) depending on situation, fluff and plots - a highly unlikely situation, but possible because of new mechanics.
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Even if it's too much for them to be able to implement deities in the mechanics in a balanced way and without adding months to the development time, I hope they at least add them cosmetically for the roleplay factor. Sure there is extra work in getting the models right so that it renders correctly, but I think it would go a long way towards making the game more immersive.To have every cleric from Helm to Talos to Lolth look identical would be a little too "uncanny valley" IMO.
    edited September 2012
    bardbarian wrote: »
    Even if it's too much for them to be able to implement deities in the mechanics in a balanced way and without adding months to the development time, I hope they at least add them cosmetically for the roleplay factor. Sure there is extra work in getting the models right so that it renders correctly, but I think it would go a long way towards making the game more immersive.To have every cleric from Helm to Talos to Lolth look identical would be a little too "uncanny valley" IMO.

Seconded. And thanks for necroing this thread!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    bardbarian wrote: »

I agree. At least paragon paths particular to particular deities only, should be implemented. They give very necessary flavor to divine classes.
  • byphbyph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Because of flavor and depth, deities and their unique paragon paths add replay value - which is something that should interest a game designer.

For example, I was reading gillrmn's thread, and did a little research. In 4E, divine classes who worship Amaunator gain access to the Morninglord paragon path. I could see myself creating an additional character and replaying content just to explore this path. That's a win for the developers. Invest in three powers worth of development time (and they don't even appear to be graphically intensive), and you get some subset of your community replaying content.