test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your Gaming Memorabilia D&D or Other

yolksonuyolksonu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Thought to occupy your time while we wait, you may want to share what is your favorite or special piece of gaming memorabilia. Since this is D&D, the emphasis there but anything interesting would be fine.

So, What kind of gaming collectable or piece of memorabilia do you have? I have a few leftovers, Ultima cloth map, some huge fold outs that came packaged with the box in the good old days and other bits and pieces.

My most D&D related are four color prints. These are copyrighted 1996 and are about 12 x 20. Each is in matting with a small square underneath with the name of the print and artist imposed over the TSR logo. I received these as a gift from a person who had them and did not know what to do with them. We had discussed gaming in the past and that I collected dragon and gargoyle things now and then. Not sure how many prints there were of each. He had them from a print job that TSR could not pay for so they became the property of the printer and eventually went to this person. Soon after Wizards bought TSR. I got them about 12 years ago. I have found all of them online and you can see the original art used to create them. Two of the four are the same as the links. The other two were edited for these prints. I used the names on the prints for each.

Dragons of Krynn
http://www.saberfire.com/dragons/archivehigh/002.jpg

Dragons of Faith. This is clipped below the dragons tail and no moon at top, less wingspan too.
http://www.saberfire.com/dragons/archivehigh/001.jpg

Dragons of Duel
http://www.saberfire.com/dragons/archivehigh/025.jpg

Dragons of Desolation. This only has the dragon head, the rest of the original is cut out.
http://www.clydecaldwell.com/large_images/desolation.html

Anyone else have something interesting?
Einstein - "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Post edited by yolksonu on

Comments

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For me not really much in the way of memorabilia ( I don't really count my white box through 4e books as such) I have my Gen Con badges dating back to the late 80's (my first GC was 1981 and I remember tickets but no event badge.) a couple old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons T-shirts a couple old pictures with Gary Gygax, Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb...that's about it.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • yolksonuyolksonu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited October 2012
    I was at Gen Con a couple of times when it was in Milwaukee, I live in Wisconsin. That is why I have the prints. I assume a local printer printed them.
    Einstein - "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    edited October 2012
    yolksonu wrote: »
    I was at Gen Con a couple of times when it was in Milwaukee, I live in Wisconsin. That is why I have the prints. I assume a local printer printed them.

I think I remember when the had those prints they also had ones that were Embossed and foil looking very nice...

I miss Milwaukee's Gen Cons, since TSR/Wotc moved and sold it off they have been pretty shoestring mostly just hordes of vendors trying to hawk their wares...there are much better RPG con's around the country that are cheaper and have more actual gaming than GC, I look at GC 95 and compare it to GC today ..and it really is a pale reflection of those days.
  • pegoliuspegolius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    My top three D&D memorabilia that I have would be

1. my OD&D woodgrain box 3rd print from 1975
    2. the original Blackmoor booklet signed by Mr. Arneson from 1975
    3. the Greyhawk blooklet from 1975 (cause Greyhawk will always beat the snot out of any other setting :D)

Edit says: Those dragon paintings are great. I especially love the ones from Easley. I always was a big fan of his D&D art and I still have the "Art of Dungeons and Dragons Fantasy Game" art book somewhere where a lot of Easleys stuff is shown. Great stuff.
    "It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." - E. Gary Gygax 1938-2008
    edited October 2012
    pegolius wrote: »
    My top three D&D memorabilia that I have would be

1. my OD&D woodgrain box 3rd print from 1974
    2. the original Blackmoor booklet signed by Mr. Arneson from 1975
    3. the Greyhawk blooklet from 1975 (cause Greyhawk will always beat the snot out of any other setting :D)

Wow I have only seen one of the woodgrain boxes...talk about super rare...one thing I'm truly hoping for in D&D next is a new Greyhawk setting love my Realms but Greyhawk was my very first campaign world...before that we really didn't use an established world in our games.
  • pegoliuspegolius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    Too bad they will do the Realms as their first setting. But there is still hope here that they might turn to Greyhawk at a later time :)

Last I heard that WotC wants to release their old stuff as PDF again. That should be enough to brigde the time for the eventual official Greyhawk reboot for those that do not own the original modules :)
    "It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." - E. Gary Gygax 1938-2008
    edited October 2012
    Have to admit, I came to the D&D party late, (waves from nosebleed section of bleachers')' I was into war gaming and had some Avalon Hill board games in the 70's. Then PC's came along and I was playing Ultima and Wizardry for RPG's, and was big into strategy games. Then I started playing Neverwinter and was hooked. Lots of good mods and the game mechanics were good. Before the PC, I had friends who played PnP D&D and also war gamed but I never got involved for whatever reason at that time. Work, family, life, left enough time for one hobby. I guess at the time I could understand a tank fired a shell, what the heck is a magic missile?
  • pherephattapherephatta Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I still have my D&D dice from the days of yore when you had to color them in with wax crayons. I think those are my most prized gaming things.
    edited October 2012
    I still have my D&D dice from the days of yore when you had to color them in with wax crayons. I think those are my most prized gaming things.

I'll go you one better, the Blue box set didn't have dice, it came with numbered chits..you dropped the number range in a bag and then draw the result...you also received a cupon to send in for real dice if you paid the postage. That was 77 or 78 I believe; wish I still had that set. b:chuckle
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm at the point where it all blurred together and I didn't save anything for "collectibles" and used it then as gaming. I'm sure I can find my old Deities and Demigods with Cutulu Mythos though somewhere in my house if that counts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I feel so young :-(

Anything that could be considered a D&D Collectible was well before my time hahaha!

I find it absolutely enthralling that early edition D&D content is akin to early baseball cards though. It makes you wonder about what we have which will be collectible in another twenty to thirty years...
    Maybe I should have taken better care of my Baldur's Gate box and CD Pamphlet...
  • pherephattapherephatta Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'll go you one better, the Blue box set didn't have dice, it came with numbered chits..you dropped the number range in a bag and then draw the result...you also received a cupon to send in for real dice if you paid the postage. That was 77 or 78 I believe; wish I still had that set. b:chuckle

Ooooh, nice. I still have my red and white boxes, but never had the blue. So I guess you too knew the wonders of being an Elf. XD

People talk about the lack of female gamers now, but man, back in those days, so far as I could tell, I was the only female gamer across several states. I used to go to 2-3 cons a year, but never met another female gamer (other than the ones I created) until the mid 90s.
    edited October 2012
    Ooooh, nice. I still have my red and white boxes, but never had the blue. So I guess you too knew the wonders of being an Elf. XD

People talk about the lack of female gamers now, but man, back in those days, so far as I could tell, I was the only female gamer across several states. I used to go to 2-3 cons a year, but never met another female gamer (other than the ones I created) until the mid 90s.

Yes I still remember those character creation arguments LOL

Yeah we had a unique group actually three guys and two girls,( all friends from my local high school) we went to Gencon it was 1980 I think and I think there was one other middle aged woman there and she wasn't there to game, but gradually more and more women began to show up.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Yes I still remember those character creation arguments LOL

Yeah we had a unique group actually three guys and two girls,( all friends from my local high school) we went to Gencon it was 1980 I think and I think there was one other middle aged woman there and she wasn't there to game, but gradually more and more women began to show up.

FE-MALE? WO-MEN? WHAT FE-MALE? WO-MEN?

Sorry, couldn't resist thinking of the old days pre late 80's even in places like Southern California.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rendalynrendalyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have nothing left from those days. But I sure did enjoy looking at those prints. Sweet sweet memories! Easley was always my favorite by far. I have a 1979 lord of the rings belt buckle that I still wear to this day.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/261104580456?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
  • ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    My son showed me a picture a bit ago that I had drawn back in the mid 80's of my first D & D character. I had fond memories of playing with my younger brother and his friends back in those days. My son looked at me a little differently after that, I wasn't a half bad artist back then.

Now days, my sons and I game together online as often as we can. With one living in Japan and the other in the Navy's sub program, our time is severely limited. But we still have a ball when we can get together. Both boys plan on picking up this game when it's released and we will play together when we can.

My Best,

Ezra Steel
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Collectables...

Let's see, a set of my 2nd Ed. ADnD books

A box set for the Forgotten Realms, not sure which edition

Misc. Modules: Keep on the Border...

2nd Ed. Monster Manual vol 1 and 2

more dice than I know what to do with.

Some commissioned artwork I had done of some characters I played regularly from a local artist

And a whole shelf of misc DnD books below a whole shelf of R. A. Salvatore novels, all signed, including a 1st Ed. 1987 copy of Crystal Shard. b:victory

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • rendalynrendalyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And a whole shelf of misc DnD books below a whole shelf of R. A. Salvatore novels, all signed, including a 1st Ed. 1987 copy of Crystal Shard. b:victory

Nice!!!!!!
    edited October 2012
    People have some interesting items. I do have one D&D box from 1980, the Expert Edition, has dice and two books. Note on the box it is an addition and not a standalone item, rule set needed. Not sure where I got it since I never played PnP. Still have a few of the old boxed war games piled in the closet,also a game called Lie, Cheat and Steal, The game of political power from 1971. Recall some fun times playing that.
    edited October 2012
    Collectables...

Let's see, a set of my 2nd Ed. ADnD books

A box set for the Forgotten Realms, not sure which edition

Misc. Modules: Keep on the Border...

2nd Ed. Monster Manual vol 1 and 2

more dice than I know what to do with.

Some commissioned artwork I had done of some characters I played regularly from a local artist

JS

I desperately miss my original copy of the silver shard... wasn't signed or anything but it was a 1st ed...I did get Salvatore to sign Gauntlygrim and a hardback copy of the Icewind Dale trilogy....I guess that count's as memorabilia as well now that I think about it.