test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spider Climb?

r555555555555555r555555555555555 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in The Library
I remember this one from the old days. Not sure if it is 4th Edition or not. I haven't played D&D since the beginning of 2nd Edition.
I wonder if it will make an appearance here. It would be awesome if so.

BlueEyedDevil
Post edited by r555555555555555 on

Comments

• Options
    valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I can't imagine it will; Like Time Stop, Disintegrate, Power Word: Kill, Cloudkill, Flesh to Stone, etc... effects like that would simply be too difficult to utilize in a balanced gameplay experience.
  • Options
    arajirarajir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    If the athletics skill is in with its climbing functions I don't see why not.
    But I doubt we will see them at launch.
  • Options
    valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    That WOULD be interesting to see...

To climb to a certain part of a dungeon or area of the world you would need...
    a)Athletics and/or a climbing kit (used only by certain classes)
    b)Spider Climb
  • Options
    nyseyusnyseyus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I remember this one from the old days. Not sure if it is 4th Edition or not. I haven't played D&D since the beginning of 2nd Edition.
    I wonder if it will make an appearance here. It would be awesome if so.

BlueEyedDevil

If they put it in, they'd have to put in gnomes too, so one could be a totally awesome spider climbing gnome. :>
  • Options
    mzeeusikumzeeusiku Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2012
    I think those abilities and spells would rock. Isnt this the same guys who put out CO? If indeed its the case, certainly they could do it. I took an acrobatic skill in that game that allowed me to run along side walls, do the spiderman type bounce off the ceiling and stuff. Or at least it looked that way. It would allow people at least to look awesome at the beginning.

I hope the other classes will get introduced and NOT be extra costs like the other games. They are an integral part of the game, and playing them had their own penalties,....I never put extra money in the potato chip fund so I could play my monk!!! b:shutup
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Spider climb is a Specific Level 6 Warlock (only) Utility power:
    Spider Climb Warlock Utility 6

You bestow on yourself the ability to cling to almost any surface and climb as easily as an insect.
    Encounter Arcane
    Move Action Personal
    Effect: On this move action, you move with a climb speed equal to your speed.

Yes, there are tiems that allow you to Spider climb,
    Boots of Spider ClimbingLevel 5 Uncommon
    These enchanted boots enhance your ability to climb.
    Feet Slot 1,000 gp
    Property
    When you make an Athletics check to climb, you can climb at your normal speed instead of one-half speed.
    Power Daily (Move Action)
    On this move action, you move with a climb speed equal to your speed.

but see discussion on how it should be implemented in-game from previous posts as well as understanding it's a once a day power item to actually gain the spider climb power.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thedio777thedio777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited August 2012
    Those were AWESOME SPELLS! I do not remember any of the nwn online being unbalanced because of these....
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In champions online there was never the ability to climb or bounce of walls. the forums wanted it, DCUO did it, but CO still has no such sign. As for this game, it DOES sound pretty awesome, but there isn't any climbing in the other big cryptic games so i doubt it would be here. but it should be.
  • Options
    whipschmuckwhipschmuck Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This would be a cool idea, but I don't see it happening because it would take a lot of development time/money to implement. Hope I'm wrong :D
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Unfortunately no. Since they use the same engine since CO, and there is an engine limitation that restricts things like "wall crawling" powers, it would take an exceptionally long rebuild to allow climb options. So it's highly unlikely it would, as much as I'd enjoy it. On the bright side, enemies won' use it on us either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]