test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO lifetime vs TL2 Preorder, Same time?

trikirantrikiran Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
So I am a STO lifetime sub and having asked at pax if the beta keys would go out at the same time I was told, "yes" But I'm seeing TL2 Preorders saying they have their keys and I bought my TL2 on steam thinking there was going to be no difference...

So what is the deal? Were they same time or no?
Post edited by trikiran on

Comments

• Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    trikiran wrote: »
    So I am a STO lifetime sub and having asked at pax if the beta keys would go out at the same time I was told, "yes" But I'm seeing TL2 Preorders saying they have their keys and I bought my TL2 on steam thinking there was going to be no difference...

So what is the deal? Were they same time or no?

Unfortunately, it looks like things are being sent in batches and/or stages. If you got some promise, do send a ticket about it with said proof, but outside of that, things may or may not have changed since PAX.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't hold my breath - a similar promise was made to CO lifers for STO beta access, and a vast majority didn't get in until towards the end of the beta, some not even getting in until the very last day.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't hold my breath - a similar promise was made to CO lifers for STO beta access, and a vast majority didn't get in until towards the end of the beta, some not even getting in until the very last day.

Dooom Dooom Cryptic haaattee!! /eyeroll
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't remember anything said about the lifers' beta key except that you can only have one key no matter where it comes from, the rest are null. TL2's was explicity stated in the pre-purcahse that it wasn't guaranteed inmediate access, only that at some point you would get in (like in the last hour of the beta b:chuckle ).
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Unfortunately, it looks like things are being sent in batches and/or stages. If you got some promise, do send a ticket about it with said proof, but outside of that, things may or may not have changed since PAX.

This is a bad idea an mmo needs to be massive to get the real feeling on. If you have 100 players online you can't really do much it's gonna be ghost town.

But again I'll stop here because i don't want to be negative anymore about this
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    This is a bad idea an mmo needs to be massive to get the real feeling on. If you have 100 players online you can't really do much it's gonna be ghost town.

You are really looking at it from the old raid or die paradigm, I ran a persistent world in Neverwinter Nights for four years, you would be amazed at how significant a hundred players can be if they are there for more than just endless grinding also having been involved in several Friends and Family tests a hundred people being directed at specific issues can be quite effective.

As the beta opens up more people will be brought in but I expect it will be a modest number to begin with.
  • Options
    ravenblood82ravenblood82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am a Champs lifer and I can confirm I have not received a key either. I remember the STO beta and I didn't get in until fairly late then. To be honest though, I wasn't at all interested in STO but I'm absolutely stoked for Neverwinter. My fiance' plays Guild Wars 2 daily and we have nerd fights over which one will be better. b:chuckle
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys, I'm just taking a guess here but I'm thinking plans got jumbled up since that promise was made.

Remember, the game was supposed to be released buy the New Year and now they are saying that's when we should expect the OBT to start.

I'm thinking the original plan was for the CBT to start before TLII was released and as we can all tell that plan didn't follow through because of the release delay. I am thinking the only reason they sent out the CBT keys was so that they could close the books on the promotion rather than leave it open. Hopefully we can get one of the guys at Cryptic to answer this question officially but that's my best guess.

And this is why I keep stressing it's better if they don't share all the information on content they're currently developing. When the plans get changed it only hurts the player's that much more.

Just remember even those who have a CBT Key can't access the Beta. Although some have keys already it doesn't mean they're not sticking to the promise of giving life time subscribers access to the Closed Beta!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »

I can say with absolute certainty even if you get a beta key and enter said key, nothing happens unless you specifically are flagged to participate in Beta. This means even the download the client won't work (the download button will take you to a coming soon screen) after entering the key which is the only way to get that button to be "selectable." I can't say what happens when you are activated, but can say your PWI-account email will get an email telling you when this happens.

As for multiple keys, only one is "active" at any time, and the setup is the last key entered is the active one. Unless given a special key that says it puts you in god mode or something, entering more than one key doesn't help. So yes, you could get a CB key, and even get it emailed in th next few minutes, and enter it. But it as noted could only work on the final stage of that beta, or could work immediately that day once the first stage of CB starts. Or anywhere in between. While I could go into details on pre-selected players are mailed out for early stages and the "random selection" how people's keys are chosen for said beta stages both closed and open, I don't want to risk accidentally straying into Cryptic/PWE proprietary methods (even if done by research and not by secret access kind of like Clancy and The Hunt for the red October...well, it's not like I'm debriefed into a secret mission so I won't be able to detail anything else on that level like he was, right Cryptic?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Cryptic probably doesn't know for sure when they will start their closed beta for NW. This leaves Runic Games' TL2 promotion an untied loose end. It's would seem more convenient for Runic to simply send out the beta keys when TL2 lunches, and cross that off their list of things to do.

It makes sense for Cryptic though to release the beta keys of lifetime subscribers of previous games at a time closer to the CBT--a time they're probably not sure about yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    Cryptic probably doesn't know for sure when they will start their closed beta for NW. This leaves Runic Games' TL2 promotion an untied loose end. It's would seem more convenient for Runic to simply send out the beta keys when TL2 lunches, and cross that off their list of things to do.

It makes sense for Cryptic though to release the beta keys of lifetime subscribers of previous games at a time closer to the CBT--a time they're probably not sure about yet.

Hate to break it to you, but it launched (TL2) and they did send all the keys out. But if you didn't order it through PWE's link, you don't get a key. If you did and didn't get it by now, create a ticket and be ready to include a copy of your receipt.

And I cannot comment further on NWO's exact CB launch date, but can say they have a date range in mind, but won't release it until they know there won't be any reason for delay, and they are done with the test work before CB. Literally, that's all anybody can say here ATM short of a Developer/Marketing person making an announcement directly or through a news article.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Hate to break it to you, but it launched (TL2) and they did send all the keys out. But if you didn't order it through PWE's link, you don't get a key. If you did and didn't get it by now, create a ticket and be ready to include a copy of your receipt.

Um... are you thinking about a different thread or post?

TL2 people have their beta key. CO and STO lifetime subscribers don't. This was what this thread is about (check the first post). I'm offering a plausible explanation for this.
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sadly I pre-ordered Torchlight2 however can't play the game won't even launch (can download it patch it but when I hit play the mouse icon spins and the TL2.exe disappears from the task manager). I'm talking with the TL2 support but don't have high hopes that it will be fixed. So since I can't play TL2 I'm hoping I might get my access granted to the CBT. In the meantime I've been reading some of the forgotten realms novels (especially R.A. Salvatore's Neverwinter series-starting Charon's Claw) and scouring the interwebs about the world of Faerun. I'm hoping to try my hand at the Foundry to see what its about and whether or not I'm a good story teller:)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Dooom Dooom Cryptic haaattee!! /eyeroll

Did it ever occur to you to actually look at the verifiable history of Cryptic and what they've done under the exact same scenarios in the past to make your conclusion, or are you suggesting that the exact same people saying the exact same things in the exact same situation are going to miraculously do the right thing, despite never doing so before?

I gave Cryptic my trust many times, and they broke it many times. They need to earn my trust. I suggest you make them earn yours, too, instead of just trusting them to do the right things by ignoring what they've done before.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Did it ever occur to you to actually look at the verifiable history of Cryptic and what they've done under the exact same scenarios in the past to make your conclusion, or are you suggesting that the exact same people saying the exact same things in the exact same situation are going to miraculously do the right thing, despite never doing so before?

I gave Cryptic my trust many times, and they broke it many times. They need to earn my trust. I suggest you make them earn yours, too, instead of just trusting them to do the right things by ignoring what they've done before.

heh....I have been a player of Cryptic games since the CoH alpha and though I didn't like the company under Atari I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt now, and I'm not alone considering they have pretty much won over a very skeptical media as well as very jaded Con attendees...I think that beats using every post to act all buttsore because I think Cryptic did me wrong. /eyeroll

But please return to your agenda based hate ...it's most entertaining.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    heh....I have been a player of Cryptic games since the CoH alpha and though I didn't like the company under Atari I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt now, and I'm not alone considering they have pretty much won over a very skeptical media as well as very jaded Con attendees...I think that beats using every post to act all buttsore because I think Cryptic did me wrong. /eyeroll

But please return to your agenda based hate ...it's most entertaining.

Well, take a look at their actual playerbase - they're still lying to them. "We'll hire a full team to just make Klingon content!"

*respected Cryptic devs working on requested content leave

"oh, you might actually SEE some content in 2014..."

I don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> what the media and con attendees say. I care about what players say, and players are not happy about the games, because Cryptic under PWE haven't done anything different yet. Why should I believe things will be different when they've done nothing different?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, take a look at their actual playerbase - they're still lying to them. "We'll hire a full team to just make Klingon content!"

*respected Cryptic devs working on requested content leave

"oh, you might actually SEE some content in 2014..."

I don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> what the media and con attendees say. I care about what players say, and players are not happy about the games, because Cryptic under PWE haven't done anything different yet. Why should I believe things will be different when they've done nothing different?

Okay fine if you hate Cryptic that much why hang around? I mean unless you just want to complain on the forums?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay fine if you hate Cryptic that much why hang around? I mean unless you just want to complain on the forums?

Because I WOULD like to discuss the game. You just had to comment because you don't like what I said.

Too bad it's most likely true, since beta keys are already going out, and us lifers don't have any.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Because I WOULD like to discuss the game. You just had to comment because you don't like what I said.

Too bad it's most likely true, since beta keys are already going out, and us lifers don't have any.

Oh...my mistake, your discussion looked like constant complaining to me....Relax Beta hasn't even started yet, I have had a beta key since Pax east of 2011.....it hasn't done me a damn bit of good, but I'm not crying about it either.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh...my mistake, your discussion looked like constant complaining to me....Relax Beta hasn't even started yet, I have had a beta key since Pax east of 2011.....it hasn't done me a damn bit of good, but I'm not crying about it either.

And Cryptic fanboys were saying the exact same thing before STO's beta.

You're proving my point - we've seen nothing new from Cryptic over the course of three different owners. Why do you have a problem with them being held accountable for their words and actions?
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012

You're proving my point - we've seen nothing new from Cryptic over the course of three different owners. Why do you have a problem with them being held accountable for their words and actions?

I don't see a lot of merit in discussing a point when you have already made up your mind. But as someone who criticizes cryptic a lot on these forums, let me answer to you as a non-fanboi.

You have seen nothing new is factually incorrect. The STO and CO are becoming f2p with stress on letting players earn currency and having non-buyable campaigns. The content of games was never bad. Most criticisms are directed towards marketing failures and cash shop blunders.

Apart from that, Atari gone is a really big deal. If you are not aware of Atari's history with D&D and games like daggerdale, DDO etc. - you do not realize what it means.

Criticize things which are bad and dragging down the awesome games - not the plus points. And accountability - meh! No company is left which is not being criticized for it. EA's award - remember? However cryptic has good reasons and it has been making its products better. Their products are all making profits though the start was a bit shaky. All their projects are AAA+ (CO was supposed to be Marvel before they withdrew).

Now I have to do purification ceremony for speaking the A word....
  • Options
    edited September 2012

No I'm not proving your point; what I am doing is laughing at your obvious hate filled agenda, the same hate filled agenda that has been going on ever since perpetual lost the the Star Trek IP and the fancy lads from STO.net were informed that they no longer had the developers ear.

I don't have a problem with a developer being held accountable but that accountability isn't going to come from forum rants or doom crying, it's going to come in the profitability or lack there of in the IP.

If STO was the failboat that you claimed it was it wouldn't be jammed packed with players on a nightly basis nor would PWE already have made back their initial investment (over fifty Million) in Cryptic from cash shop sales in CO and STO in the past year (which is the current industry talk) But even if that isn't true both those games are hugely profitable and have large populations and that makes over the top ranting seem a bit insipid.

Unless what they have been demoing is completely false I see a pretty bright future for Neverwinter....but nothing is set in stone
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Basing a release of keys on one person talked to on a con about a schedule now (not then) that has been delayed and a promotion which was not tied to this (TL2 and that's why I said it was done implying it's not promising lifetime keys are going to be sent out next) and condemning the company of this when we don't know how they are handling a new actually starting free from the ground up product is silly at best.

Lifetimers wil get their keys when beta is ready to be released, not before. And you could get your keys and still not have ACCESS. Access could be from the first stage to the final stage of closed beta, even the last day.

If there's ever a question, make sure you get it in some form of writing or interview, but know even that might change.

And if you're looking to get a key that gets you faster access, sometimes, it helps to contribute to the social sites and forum here. Whether you get it or not though is not up to me or any other player here. That is up to the employees if they ever should do such a thing.

Any further questions, read the first section on my FAQ which I made clear on based on what was released. Many things I've heard but not verified never saw the light of day on there either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    buttsore

Haha i read this word thought of the show on Comedy Central and laughed so loud I woke up my wife!

Classic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drgersodrgerso Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Anyone CO or STO Lifetime already got the key?

I am CO Lifetime and no candy for me yet :(
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    drgerso wrote: »
    Anyone CO or STO Lifetime already got the key?

I am CO Lifetime and no candy for me yet :(

STO and CO lifetime no keys from them just the key I picked up at PAX east, I was hoping when I eventually do get that key that I could gift it to my wife as she is very interested in beta testing as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    STO and CO lifetime no keys from them just the key I picked up at PAX east, I was hoping when I eventually do get that key that I could gift it to my wife as she is very interested in beta testing as well.

Sorry that the beta isn't near starting yet, which is when the keys are often emailed. However, there is the chance even if you get your keys before beta (and instead of access keys when your stage) starts, that you'll have to wait for the keys to activate your beta stage. As it's been said, some people could only get the last day of CB before OB starts. We have no confirmation one way or the other on the scheduling for lifetime members, but do let us know here if you hear anything!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]