test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Streaming the Foundry

giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello there,

I was wondering if you could add in support to allow users to stream their quest design in the foundry rather than force your users to download the client onto every machine they wish to design quests on. i.e Onlive and Gaikai.
Post edited by giggliato on

Comments

• Options
    thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    The foundry in STO works much the same way, minus some features.. it is streaming i believe.. you have to be logged on to use it. there isnt a downloadable version as far as i know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well that's neat. I only played STO for a few minutes back at release. Does the STO foundry allow for groups of people to access the same dungeon creation stream at the same time?
  • Options
    thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    well you have to publish the quest, or mission that you create before it will be avallable to the public, and then it will be in a review process and played by people called reviewers. .anyone can be a reviewer.. but a group can enter the quest together, just not at the moment you are creating it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

• Options
    edited August 2012
    they will be able to enter a published version, even if you are working on it, but it wont reflect the changes you are making till you publish again. if they have the quest, and you publish, it wont update in theirs, and they will play the older version, till they drop it and pick it back up.. at least that is how it works now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure if I'm reading this incorrectly but was the question about streaming actually in reference to using like an online app rather than the game client so yuo don't have to download the game?

As far as I know this won't be possible. I've never played STO so I could be mistaken but everything I've seen seems to be saying the you have to be logged into the actual game in order to use the foundry.
    Basically from what I saw players would log into the game client and from there choose either to play the game or delve into The Foundry.

If you want to log into a school/work/friend's/familiy's computer in which you have no right to download and install applications don't expect to be able to use The Foundry.
    I don't know for sure because I've never played STO but if you have to install STO then you'll have to install NW.

Off Topic: I really wish I could actually get into Star Trek just so I'd have the slightest desire to test out the STO game. I just have no interest in Star Trek whatsoever, sorry Trek Fans. Why couldn't Cryptic have made a game featuring anything other than Star Trek first so I could try it without expecting to just "blah...!" about it? :-(
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    if you can install the game where you are, you can use the foundry.. you do have to be logged in
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

• Options
    sl1ckm1stersl1ckm1ster Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Foundry is an in game tool, so you will have to have the game installed on any computer you want to use it on.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Long story short, it's integrated into the game client. Instead of launching the game to play, you launch the game to create/edit a game mission module. This means you must have the game client downloaded, installed, and connected to the internet. The game that is currently published to the public is what is played, not something you are editing. Hope this clears things up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Integration of game client with foundry also allows you to quickly test your mission online on server. I think it is good that no extra installer is needed, also it makes the foundry look integrated to the game. Even those who don't usually try may give it a go when bored of game.