test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quest mechanic

vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Please for the love of god let's not end up with this quest mechanic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANMyBLhfpU&feature=player_detailpage#t=254s

Lets do whatever it takes to make that more interesting please.
Post edited by vangald on

Comments

• macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Unfortenly im not expecting to see Quest mechanic much diferent from traditional MMO's.

Lets hope im wrong :)
  • quetumquetum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for pointing out why I shouldn't be interested in Raiderz anymore! b:laugh
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, I doubt they have much more they could do. It is an MMO after all, which means that there is a limited things you can do as far as questing is concerned. You cannot put any story-driving questing in it, because... well, you're not the hero and never will be. Unless the storyline does not really concern you, in which case you can't really drive it.

I'm ok really with generic "fetch 10 bears' gluteus maximus" quests, as long as they don't overdo the amount of quests and body parts involved, and as long as they put some decent context in it and some puzzle/challenge every now and then to keep things from sinking into boredomland... it can't be any worse that what Drizzt had to go through in between the important events in his stories, ie marching through the Sword Coast and patrolling the mountains of Iceind Dale, anyway...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    "FedEx" quests are more than likely going to appear. They are the simplest and least dangerous quests to make for new characters and tends to give them decent rewards while subtly allowing the player to learn the basics of locations and game mechanics.

It gets tedious fast and feels redundant even when new to the game but not the game genre however they are key parts of any game system.

It is always nicer if more context is given than what is shown in that video though. Getting items just to get items is...well it's just shotty work. Getting the items to serve a purpose can add a decent level of depth to the story because while FedEx quests are almost a requirement they should never be as direct as they appear in that video.
  • thedio777thedio777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited August 2012
    I have said this before, but noone really gave a **** :p Quests can be different. One idea is to ressemble them a bit to the nwn style. What does that mean? It's simple, one persone should have more options than one, to take a quest, and more options than one to finish it. i.e If you want to have a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> cold player, you can have options to accept quests for "a better price" or "a better reward" wich will lead to a smaller xp reward. If you want to have a good noble hero, you can accept quests for no reward (wich will lead to less gold, more xp for balance).

And ofc the neutral option would be the classic rpg option. then, when a quest is finished you can deceive the quest npc, etc etc, or even kill it. Maybe some npc will resist some will not. Maybe sometimes you will get in serious trouble etc :p
    edited August 2012
    thedio777 wrote: »
    I have said this before, but noone really gave a **** :p Quests can be different.

I give a $#!%. b:laugh

I played DDO for 5 years because they actually had real story driven quests. Some short ones that could be played in 10 minutes and some long ones that were played in multiple sessions. BUT at no point did you ever have to "loot 10 tusks from those boars standing over there just waiting for you to take their tusks".

Besides, hasn't it already been stated that Neverwinter is 100% instanced based, much like DDO? Kill/Loot counter quests are more popular in open-world WoW-Clones like Raiderz. They're not necessary in instance based games.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't really get what you mean exactly, but if you mean stationary npc while giving quests - rejoice.

If you watch older interviews from last year, they say that npc won't be just stationary in NW but the city would be alive with Npc not just standing but moving and doing other activities.

But it is an year old info. I hope they didn't plant npc now.

~~~~

If it is regarding quests being bring X material, ofcourse D&D lore is different. The other game is just about hunting tough monsters. Quests is not something they put stress on. I don't think you have to worry about those quests in NW.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    can always pick up more spiders guts, thats always fun b:shockedb:sadb:cryb:surrender=CHEESE"Y
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    I don't really get what you mean exactly, but if you mean stationary npc while giving quests - rejoice.

Does it make me a bad person if I hate quest givers who keep moving around? b:sad Most I can handle is a day/night cycle with some amount logic to it.

Hopefully the OP just means the very bare-bones nature of the quest systems in just about any open-world MMO: kill/collect X of Y to get some XP and coin. I do hope they handle quests more like in DDO, with intertwining storylines and whatnot. Although it'd be also nice if they make them a bit more freeform, more integrated into the overworld play and objectives, since the clear-cut distinction between in-quest instance and out-of-quest instance can be a bit awkward.

I'm thinking that quests could/should at least have some tie-ins in non-quest instance, like finding some secret location or killing something leading to a clue leading to a conversation leading to a quest line, rather than the more traditional "hey adventurer #3541, I need your help". You know, kind of like finding that door with a gemstone socket in BG2, which would lead to one of the most famous battles in the game; or following the clues you find during the main story of Arcanum to uncover the secret tomb of St Mannox. In other words, creative and fluid quest tie-ins FTW.

quetum wrote:
    I played DDO for 5 years because they actually had real story driven quests. Some short ones that could be played in 10 minutes and some long ones that were played in multiple sessions. BUT at no point did you ever have to "loot 10 tusks from those boars standing over there just waiting for you to take their tusks".

Well, the game does have slayer counters and rare monster hunts. They've also added the monster manual now, which works in similar ways. I think there's generally nothing wrong with collection quests as long as they're a side-activity and not the be-all and end-all. C9 handles it pretty well, and it's an instance-based game: you basically have specific monster types drop quest items in the specific quest/instance, so you basically complete the quest while you're completing some story quest.
    Besides, hasn't it already been stated that Neverwinter is 100% instanced based, much like DDO? Kill/Loot counter quests are more popular in open-world WoW-Clones like Raiderz. They're not necessary in instance based games.

Well, just cause it's instance-based, doesn't require it to be a DDO-clone. DDO instanced can feel cramped sometimes, and there's definitely a lot to improve on. There's also nothing preventing them from making fairly large public instances that's resemble open-world MMOs a bit more. For example, if you have a large graveyard crawling with undead, it's not necessary to limit it to just you and up to three friends.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    thedio777 wrote: »
    I have said this before, but noone really gave a **** :p Quests can be different. One idea is to ressemble them a bit to the nwn style. What does that mean? It's simple, one persone should have more options than one, to take a quest, and more options than one to finish it. i.e If you want to have a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> cold player, you can have options to accept quests for "a better price" or "a better reward" wich will lead to a smaller xp reward. If you want to have a good noble hero, you can accept quests for no reward (wich will lead to less gold, more xp for balance).

And ofc the neutral option would be the classic rpg option. then, when a quest is finished you can deceive the quest npc, etc etc, or even kill it. Maybe some npc will resist some will not. Maybe sometimes you will get in serious trouble etc :p

Well yeah basically this. You should have a reason to care otherwise you are just grinding content for loot and xp and for little enjoyment. That is why I have mentioned so many PVP (and I am not just talking combat here) elements through out the forum. Also I don't see why a quest giver has to be a carnival ride that everyone knows the name of. Generate random NPC's that give quests in a quest line. Give them random stats that change how they handle giving out the quest and possible change a few variables in the quest. It is the little things that bring it to life.

P.S.

NPC's should go about their daily business. Not stand around waiting ALL the time for the player like some carnival barker.
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think that it's very important that riddle-like quests (like putting the signs into right order or answering a riddle) are random. By that I mean the answer is random. It should make sense, like maybe a pool of a dozen riddles - so that it's not so early in the guides on the net :P
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    quetum wrote: »
    ".

Besides, hasn't it already been stated that Neverwinter is 100% instanced based, much like DDO?

Excuse my curiosity, but could anyone point out where they actually said that? Because I haven't seen it these last few months in the forum, and I haven't spotted anything of the sort in the FAQ either...

And I really hope it's not true...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kronarchykronarchy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    Excuse my curiosity, but could anyone point out where they actually said that? Because I haven't seen it these last few months in the forum, and I haven't spotted anything of the sort in the FAQ either...

i thought i remembered seeing somewhere that it was more like 50/50 open world/instanced.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    kronarchy wrote: »
    i thought i remembered seeing somewhere that it was more like 50/50 open world/instanced.

Thats exacly how its gonna be, according to devs
  • hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    Perhaps even a hybrid of the two mechanics could be possible? Do this dungeon and beat this boss, but since you're there perhaps you could kill a few of the boss' hirelings to thin out their ranks.

In my opinion, as long as they mix it up and don't get repetitive it will be fun.
    Creativity is always appreciated!

I would much rather do a 2 or 3 hour quest line than get 10 of an item from a monster that rarely spawns and has a lot of people farming it.

Lastly, I also think that the typical click on an exclamation point only to be bombarded by text which you'll end up skipping usually is a terrible way to tell the story. Events and character dialogue as the quest progresses tend to catch my eye and provide a more engrossing experience.

Just my take on the whole questing thing. I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions! :)
    edited August 2012

I don't have a link or anything, but from what I understood there is no community segregating realms or shards like other MMOs. Everyone plays on the same "server". However, to handle server load and overcrowding, the entire game is instanced to some degree, even the "public" areas. Furthermore, questing areas, missions, foundry content, etc.. will all be instanced for individuals and their parties.

DDO handles this the same way, and that's what I was alluding to in my previous post. Yes, there can be "kill x monsters" type quests, but they are always a secondary task to a primary mission objective.

If you are looking for Neverwinter with WoW style questing then Raiderz sounds like the game for you.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It is not 100% instanced. It has instanced dungeons and sewers with lot of open areas.

The game will operate on one server basis. The system is that they take extra space from a lot of shards and then combine them into a seemless one server. That way you will always be on the same server as your friend miles across.

The open areas work in large instances to reduce the lag. When number of people increase (say) 100 and lag starts, a new instance is created (just like any other open area in any MMO, like RaiderZ). You can freely switch between instances and this will reduce camping of people for rare mobs etc.

So the game is open world and instance based.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    It is not 100% instanced. It has instanced dungeons and sewers with lot of open areas.

The game will operate on one server basis. The system is that they take extra space from a lot of shards and then combine them into a seemless one server. That way you will always be on the same server as your friend miles across.

The open areas work in large instances to reduce the lag. When number of people increase (say) 100 and lag starts, a new instance is created (just like any other open area in any MMO, like RaiderZ). You can freely switch between instances and this will reduce camping of people for rare mobs etc.

So the game is open world and instance based.

yeah mate ill back that, im sure Craig or was it Zeke with Pokketb:dirty in one of the E3 videos stated 50/50, so im taking that it still stands.