test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry ABUSE

bunnyfockerbunnyfocker Member Posts: 35
edited July 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
I just had the thought: What prevents a clique of players (who probably know each other in RL) to game the system through Foundry to make their characters more powerful?

So, one guy would create a super easy/fast quest with a ton of loot available everywhere basically min/maxing a quest in order to line the pockets of their respective characters, rinse and repeat?
Post edited by bunnyfocker on

Comments

• higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually there are a couple threads that discuss just this. Imagine if you will an instance that is filled with treasure chests. From what I gather we have no control of the item that will be in these chests, but if we have the ability to place as many as we like than the foundry can be exploited as simple as that. Do a quick search and read through some of the foundry threads. Interesting stuff.
  • bunnyfockerbunnyfocker Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2012
    Cryptic can't be that stupid though. That must be one of the first things that popped in the developers heads when they made the foundry.
  • higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well you may hope so, but if I make a giant MOD, a legit one lets say. And it warrants 10 or so player rewards and is 5hours long. And I can only place say 1 how happy am I going to be? How happy are the players going to be? Is the reward worth the time?
    edited July 2012
    Wow, so it's all about the reward? lol. Didn't we all used to play DnD for the comraderie/story/and excitement of overcoming an adventure?
    edited July 2012
    Sure we did. The word there being did. If a MOD is incredibly well written I'm sure we would all enjoy that. The majority however will not be. Face it. Some have talent but most do not. In the end it will be about the reward. Players want to be rewarded for their efforts. And for 5 hours of time they would want to be rewarded handsomely.
    edited July 2012
    But how about rewarding players with gear other then a Vorpal sword +5. How about giving them say a documents of war signed by the closest ally of the king, which can be used in the next story line to either break the king or give him more power... this gives the player power other then giving him extra numbers behind the damage box.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This topic was also discussed in one of the interviews. Devs said they have a system to prevent that but refused to talk about foundry at this point of the game.
  • ozewaozewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It is pretty simple.

You can't place treasure chests. You can have as many events to spawn treasure chests as you want though, but those are going to be rather tedious after a while. Or only giving one at the end of a foundry mission.

If the game's item system is ANYTHING like 4E's item system, then Vorpal will not be what you think it is in terms of relative power. The big thing is going to be the enhancement bonus on the gear, which basically determines the critical damage multiplier.

Vorpal, on the other hand is this: "vorpal weapon allows you to reroll any single die that rolls max damage, and add the new roll to the damage val. If it comes up max again, keep rolling."

So yes, Vorpal works great on crits because crits imply max damage and thus one extra dice, but vorpal is (correct me if I'm wrong here) not even available until the Epic tier which Neverwinter is not launching with, instead launching with just the Heroic and Paragon tiers.

Which means that the highest enhancement bonuses we will likely be seeing are then... +4 or +5. Which means that the weapons will be doing +4d10 or +5d10 points of damage on a crit. Which is how they make players and enemies more bursty.

I JUST HOPE THE END GAME IS FUN!
    President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If the Foundry system remains the same as it is in STO, and really it was made for NW but tested over there, you will not be able to include treasure chests at all in created maps.
    Any loot at all will come from random mob drops ONLY.
    Now in STO, you can take a mission that wants you to complete 3 Foundry created missions, and when you finish those you get a choice of two different rewards. And that is the closest you get to a chest. And the mission is a Daily, completeable once every 20 hours.
    Now you could still run Foundry missions, for their stories, but after the Daily, you are not guaranteed a reward.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
    edited July 2012
    If the Foundry system remains the same as it is in STO, and really it was made for NW but tested over there, you will not be able to include treasure chests at all in created maps.
    Any loot at all will come from random mob drops ONLY.
    Now in STO, you can take a mission that wants you to complete 3 Foundry created missions, and when you finish those you get a choice of two different rewards. And that is the closest you get to a chest. And the mission is a Daily, completeable once every 20 hours.
    Now you could still run Foundry missions, for their stories, but after the Daily, you are not guaranteed a reward.

I like this. I like this a lot. Makes balancing pretty easy. I can't wait to dive into this game. I've got an instance idea in mind and I am looking forward to trying it out
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    I like this. I like this a lot. Makes balancing pretty easy. I can't wait to dive into this game. I've got an instance idea in mind and I am looking forward to trying it out

Can't say I agree personally.

I love doing stories more than most and wouldn't mind limited rewards for enjoying them and I cringe everytime I hear one of the Cryptic Devs sum up D&D as (paraphrased) "Go into a dungeon, kill the mobs, defeat the boss, loot the chest."
    I in no way relate D&D to that level of simplicity which pertains more to the gameplay immaturity level of [MMO which renamed D&D] but if what darkstarkirian states is true then I'd be truly disappointed.

I Just hope Cryptic doesn't kill the custom content of the game by over-strictly regulating rewards.

If the custom content rewards are anywhere near as strictly limited as one per 20 hours then I would feel like the custom content would be a farce. Punishing people for not grinding Cryptic's content is counter intuitive to going through the effort of making custom content readily available.

There are any number of methods to go to limit over-rewarding or unbalanced instances and they've already stated that they would have review periods. There's no reason why Cryptic couldn't have rewards be a part of the review period and let the community (to an extent) self enforce content rewards.
    Simply capping rewards, regardless of the content difficulty or length, is the laziest and most counter-productive means to prevent balance issues.

Side-Note:
    While PnP D&D is enjoyable for the process of doing quests this doesn't translate well into many of the video games. Games like Baldur's Gate preserve the concept of D&D as a quest game where the goal is to complete the story and reap the rewards as you go without caring too much of the end reward but especially the more modern games such as NWN and any MMO in general takes the focus away from the big story and puts it on character developement.

Because of this shift of focus there's a direct corelation with enjoyment and rewards. Some feel it more than others but whenever a player's focus is taken from a story to character building the goal isn't to finish the story, it's to do the story to ultimately be this level or get that item. This is why I feel MMO's have grind focussed gameplay.

If the rewards are non-existant or overly small there's always going to be a subconcious irritation. Some people are saints and really only play to play and don't care about anything except the exact moment they play. They are diamonds in the rough.

Like I said, I don't play games for rewards. But I certainly don't play for nothing and with that system I'd basically be told grind what you know or waste time enjoying created content.
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cryptic can't be that stupid though. That must be one of the first things that popped in the developers heads when they made the foundry.

I can assure you that we're not that stupid.

Rewards for playing Player Authored Content will mostly be handled by the game itself. But don't fear Dungeon Masters, we understand that you want some control over things like this as well. Just don't expect to be able to have that +5 vorpal sword of fiery uber death to thine enemies placed in every single chest that you can manage to fit in a 5x5 room.

We'll be talking some more about The Foundry very soon. So hang tight for more info.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    ...But don't fear Dungeon Masters, we understand that you want some control over things like this as well. Just don't expect to be able to have that +5 vorpal sword of fiery uber death to thine enemies placed in every single chest that you can manage to fit in a 5x5 room...

That is super awesome news to me. I didn't expect any ability to place equipment at all.
  • deathtognomesdeathtognomes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    I can assure you that we're not that stupid.

Rewards for playing Player Authored Content will mostly be handled by the game itself. But don't fear Dungeon Masters, we understand that you want some control over things like this as well. Just don't expect to be able to have that +5 vorpal sword of fiery uber death to thine enemies placed in every single chest that you can manage to fit in a 5x5 room.

We'll be talking some more about The Foundry very soon. So hang tight for more info.

Thanks,

Stormshade

We can still put the "looks-real-to-me" ones in there right?
    "..putting a gnome on the barbie later, you coming?"
  • stormk1ttenstormk1tten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Like I said, I don't play games for rewards. But I certainly don't play for nothing and with that system I'd basically be told grind what you know or waste time enjoying created content.

If you're enjoying it, it's not a waste of time. If you're not playing for the (item) rewards, you can play for the story, and have fun. If the story isn't fun enough to be worth your time, find a different module.
  • zenkusozenkuso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ozewa wrote: »
    It is pretty simple.

You can't place treasure chests. You can have as many events to spawn treasure chests as you want though, but those are going to be rather tedious after a while. Or only giving one at the end of a foundry mission.

Problem with that idea is you limit things like trap dungeons & mimic dungeons.

Remember that not every DnD dungeon is about battle (although we don't know if we can simply create just a trap dungeon yet).
  • fungus6fungus6 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have used foundry extensively in STO.

What it is - a great way to tell your story.

What it is not - a great way to twink out your toon.

There will be some game generated rewards based on
    game events.

As in, complete 3 UGC user generated content in the next 3 hours
    and get bonus exp..and or random loot.

For folks HOPING they can use it for gearing up...never happen.

That said.........some mobs DO drop loot, so it is possible to get
    a nice drop...but it is scaled to the mob.

I am looking forward to creating dungeons, I have an advantage,
    I am already familiar with foundry.

STORMSHADE ..good to see you, long time no see :)
    edited July 2012
    fungus6 wrote: »
    What it is - a great way to tell your story.

TO people who used STO foundry, how customizable it is. e.g. things like:-

- ending of fight at 50% health and make the enemy friendly?
    - an npc who accompanies and fight with you?
    - controlling AI of certain monsters (e.g. things like ambush, suicide by jumping off the cliff etc.)
    - voice additions to npc's talks in campaigns?
    - locking camera etc to show the scenery.
    - multiple storylines for different options?

Thanks a lot.
    edited July 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

- controlling AI of certain monsters (e.g. things like ambush, suicide by jumping off the cliff etc.)

Thanks a lot.

The foundry I am used to using is the first version...call it version 1.0 NWNO would be
    version 3.0 So there is a lot of stuff that I will be able to do in NWNO that was not
    available to me in STO.

So I would need to see the new tool build in detail, but I can give my best guess.

fight followed by a change of heart - maybe, but I do know how I could do a
    work around to achieve it anyway. so is do-able

NPC help and fight - yes

controling AI of NPCs - yes to a certain extent. Do keep in mind that in the author's
    eyes, there are enemy mobs, NPC's (neutral) and friendly NPCs...any of them
    could be 'monsters'.

Voice - don't know...we didn't have that, but this is a new version

Camera control - If cut scenes are in (they were working on adding that)
    most likely. but players will be in charge of camera otherwise.

Story branching, most likely..it was being added to STO

I look forward to working with the new foundry tool.
    edited July 2012
    fungus6 wrote: »

That is good news. btw, devs have already stated that they will change NW foundry options based on user feedback. Voices are hard maybe (as it required external files, i.e. custom content, so maybe not) but if they are working on other aspects, it will eventually be in in NW, today or tomorrow.
    edited July 2012
    exterior files are out for legal reasons

if someone could load up their own voice file...you KNOW what will happen.
    Hey ^#$%# get your (#&$% over here.

same with textures...shields covered with a playboy bunny centerfolds

or music....without the rights....law suits.

nightmare

We will only be able to use resources they give us.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    It would be interesting if they could support custom textures/models under controlled circumstances similar to how I am sure they will be monitoring the content of the Foundry.

There are plenty of creative artists out here which could create a game as diverse in it's appearance as it is in instances.

Of course it wouldn't be wise to give free reign to players reworking and redistributing textures as, let's face it, one of the first texture modifications of NWN1 was nude characters and one of the first animation reworks was of female chests. Sadly the stereotype is more accurate than many of us would like to admit but the bad apples in the group shouldn't bar the way from the potential of the rest of the populace.

I think the biggest injustice Cryptic could do to this game in the long run is leave the appearance stagnant. More models and textures will only improve the game and the *easiest* way would be to welcome aid from the community.

However their other alternative would be the far more likely route they would take; produce additional textures and models for content developers for an additional fee.
    This would certainly be one of the surest ways to promote supporting the game but in my view it's a true loss to not use the community to it's potential in any area's they could help in. Not everything the community produces is of sufficient quality or content but it all pays off when they essentially work for free to help maintain an interested player base. If there are players here who continue to stay interested there'll be plenty of other opportunities to market other micro-transactions.
    edited July 2012
    It would be interesting if they could support custom textures/models under controlled circumstances similar to how I am sure they will be monitoring the content of the Foundry.

They have maintained ever since game was supposed to be Co-op that there won't be custom textures. Mainly because of IP. The lawsuits are terriblr - one picture submitted which is from 'very old' show and nobody realizes that it is an IP violation and bang! there is a lawsuit. Similarly music which is much more difficult to search and ensure it is not violating IP.
    I think the biggest injustice Cryptic could do to this game in the long run is leave the appearance stagnant. More models and textures will only improve the game and the *easiest* way would be to welcome aid from the community.

They have also maintained that there would wide enough options to choose, and that they will keep on adding more textures on-demand over time.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,370 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I just had the thought: What prevents a clique of players (who probably know each other in RL) to game the system through Foundry to make their characters more powerful?

So, one guy would create a super easy/fast quest with a ton of loot available everywhere basically min/maxing a quest in order to line the pockets of their respective characters, rinse and repeat?

The first day STO had the foundry every player just about did this and they made changes to it immediately that stopped this from happening in STO. You can pretty much take it to the bank they already adapted those changes to neverwinter.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Thanks a lot.

Here's the short list:

-Not possible
    -Not possible
    -Not strictly possible (but the odd or end thing you can do with smoke and mirrors)
    -Not possible
    -Not possible
    -Possible with some smoke and mirrors

Now, Cryptic does basically all of these things in CO and STO in various places. They're just not in the present STO Foundry tools we players get. Naturally, the hope is that the NW ones are going to have a lot more functionality. If we could do half of these things in the Foundry I have no doubt there will be gold-plated statues made of every Foundry programmer/artist/etc. by the community.

So if you're reading this and you want a statue, you know what to do ;)
    edited July 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    Here's the short list:

-Not possible
    -Not possible

-Not strictly possible (but the odd or end thing you can do with smoke and mirrors)
    -Not possible
    -Not possible

Now, Cryptic does basically all of these things in CO and STO in various places. They're just not in the present STO Foundry tools we players get. Naturally, the hope is that the NW ones are going to have a lot more functionality. If we could do half of these things in the Foundry I have no doubt there will be gold-plated statues made of every Foundry programmer/artist/etc. by the community.

:'-(
    Well there is to hoping it will be possible to emulate these things in NW foundry. I can probably still emulate them, but please don't have disappearing corpses then!(*praying*)
    (will just have to convince that dead body is just 'unconscious') :)
    edited July 2012
    With what presently exists in the live environment for the Foundry, it's pretty amazing the kinds of black magic authors have conjured up despite the limitations. The kind of stuff you listed there is in the game engine. It's just not in the STO Foundry. Hopefully it will make it into the NW one.

But, seriously, don't take my word for it. STO is free to play, so go download it and try the Foundry out if you want to see some actual examples.
    edited July 2012
    so go download it and try the Foundry out if you want to see some actual examples.

I would but most of my free time competes between sleep and game. Unless I feel passionate about a game, it won't be possible to ditch sleep. And I don't really like futuristic space based -verses.

That is why I must thank you for telling me something I would not have otherwise known :-)
    edited July 2012
    Here's the short list:

-Not possible
    -Not possible
    -Not possible
    -Not possible

1st one is possible.
    you have version one of monster trigger an event at 50% hp, version one
    disapears, version 2 (looks the same but is NPC) takes his place (spawns)
    and it goes from there.

or

you kill version one, version 2 then spawns, gets up and you go from there.

There are always work arounds.

There are 3 BASIC things that will determine what can and cannot be done
    with foundry

1. Content Library - you can have the greatest mechnics in the world but
    it will all fall flat if you constantly have to reuse the exact same rooms
    and mobs.

2. Foundry mechanics - It can get pretty dry fast if all you can do is
    spawn monster

3. Memory - this is the one folks that use STO are very familiar with.
    How many objects can you place ? How many events can you script ?
    What are the hard limits ? Hard limits directly effect how much detail
    can be added to an adventure.
    edited July 2012
    That is good news. ...
    :'-(
    Well there is to hoping ...

Yeah keep pressing my happy & sad switches...

[just kidding]