test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will roleplaying be relevant in game?

degodavedegodave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Just wondering if there will be any focus on roleplaying in game like in neverwinter nights or if this game is going to be strictly out of character adventuring hack and slash accept the quest and return for loot ect..
Post edited by degodave on

Comments

• aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i hope it gets lots of support.
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    degodave wrote: »
    Just wondering if there will be any focus on roleplaying in game like in neverwinter nights or if this game is going to be strictly out of character adventuring hack and slash accept the quest and return for loot ect..

I think that would be completely up to the community. The devs don't really have any control over that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • degodavedegodave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I would really love to see some old fashion roleplay element, I miss neverwinter nights style bioware, that game was amazing and I guess I'm just hoping they will be a little similar in some departments.
  • parthainparthain Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Unfortuantely its up to the player base to make it RP. Ive played most MMOs out there and even on dedicated RP servers, people rarely roleplay. The best way to handle it is to make a RP guild and control it that way. I would say keep RP out of world chats cause about 75% of the player base could care less about RP, they just want to get max level and be king/queen of the game, and they get whiny.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    I am fine with roleplaying as long as there is a safe word. Wait.....maybe I am thinking of something else.
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    RP is always player driven.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Agreed, I'd expect it to be player driven. Also, seeing as we know little to nothing about the Neverwinter Foundry yet, that could be a large component as well.
    If builders can construct areas that are open zones, than perhaps the builder can also moderate that zone. I'm thinking of tavern and such, where roleplay may be highly encouraged.
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There might be roleplaying support, actuallu - players' actions being meaningful and having an effect on the world. But that was already discussed... the idea is that by doing certain quests/defending a village/doing a public quest - you affect the world.

Also - making Foundry-made quests being revelant and becoming official would be a way of dev support of roleplaying.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There was a similar thread a few months ago, I believe in the end everyone had agreed that RP eventually depends on players and not the game. However, a few features can encourage the community and increase the goodwill of game among players.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    I am fine with roleplaying as long as there is a safe word. Wait.....maybe I am thinking of something else.

HA!

That made me laugh. I guess this means I'm easily amused.

I agree that a few in-game features here and there to enable the roleplayers to do their thing would be desirable.
  • restored25restored25 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I disagree - we rely on developers to include in-game features that are friendly to roleplaying. For example:
    1. allow players to make in game decisions that affect their character
    2. How about language options within your race?
    3. in game skills that can be used to level up ... for example, maybe as a priest I am against killing any creatures.. I should be able to find alternate ways to level up that are in line with my character's personality.
    shonsu5320 wrote: »
    I think that would be completely up to the community. The devs don't really have any control over that.
    edited July 2012
    restored25 wrote: »
    I disagree - we rely on developers to include in-game features that are friendly to roleplaying. ...

Devs can help a bit, but if you think that RP depends on their providing features, I'd say you are gravely underestimating the creativity of role players.

p.s. What if the safe word is fluggaenkdechioebolsen... ?
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Lemon.

I mean-

Oh my...

I agree that it should be player driven, and I imagine that most of it will be. I already have plans for a guild, though still working out how to recruit IC...
    edited July 2012
    So there are two types of elements that can be implemented to encourage RP aside from players playing pretend amongst themselves.

One is to allow attributes to a players toon that actively or passively interact with other players.

The other is to have story elements that interact actively or passively with the players

So first off let me explain what I mean by passive or active.

Passive is sort of just things that exist only in text. They do not activate any real game mechanics. They just activate descriptors such as titles you have earned or relationships between characters, job history, etc. These things can be used by active gameplay elements as a trigger or a sort of prerequisite.

Active would be active gameplay mechanics. Bonuses for interaction with story elements or other players. However, one needs to be careful about this. To make sure that there are benefits but that they are a trade off. Not something that creates power creep issues.

I don't know. Just thoughts.
    edited July 2012
    ... RP aside from players playing pretend amongst themselves.

When I read that, the first thought that came to my brain was - its so true that its offensive :p

Aside, any feature which gives bonus etc to players for RP may actually be bad for RP, because it may restrict the creativity by constricting what RP is. So maybe passive features (or better than that a blog-kind-of journal) may be nice and so may be how you can express yourself, but going more into depth may actually end up limiting RP rather than helping it.
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    degodave wrote: »

That should be up to the individual player. You cannot force roleplay. It can be encouraged, but not enforced.

And you have to remember that if they are going the same server-end route with this game as they did with Champions Online and Star Trek Online, there will only be one live server with instancing set up to handle large crowds of people. So don't expect roleplaying servers and PvP servers and whatever.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
    edited July 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    When I read that, the first thought that came to my brain was - its so true that its offensive :p

Aside, any feature which gives bonus etc to players for RP may actually be bad for RP, because it may restrict the creativity by constricting what RP is. So maybe passive features (or better than that a blog-kind-of journal) may be nice and so may be how you can express yourself, but going more into depth may actually end up limiting RP rather than helping it.

I am not so sure about that. There will be plenty of players who just play and don't rp, but having rp features might bring them in at least a little. Assuming you can keep their interest. I can't see passive features breaking rp's rp experience. Active, however, might be another story.
    edited July 2012
    An easy one off the top of my head would be voting. It is without a doubt the easiest way to instigate rp by have people vote on an issue within that world. Real issues could easily be inspired by those in reality.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tis be DnD teh RP must be of the highest order. HAVE AT YOU WENCH \o/
  • laerthyslaerthys Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Tis be DnD teh RP must be of the highest order. HAVE AT YOU WENCH \o/

/e the troll "bouncing" at the door to the tavern growls menacingly at your threat to the barmaid...
  • rammasrammas Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wot an be accused o' not takin' me pleasures an such? Bah, a pox on 'em I say.