test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please dont tell me this is a INSTANCE game ?

kristytravekristytrave Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Is Newerwinter Open World or again a Cheap Instance ?

Thanks
Post edited by kristytrave on

Comments

• seikilosseikilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Thanks

As far as we know, it's open world like RaiderZ and TERA.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Thanks

Its both. Read the FAQ. Or the old PAX thread by granmezzo.
  • criticalwitcriticalwit Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Seeing as it's based on D&D, a huge part of the experience has is inevitably going to be dungeon delving, which requires instancing to be true to the source material. It works for what it is.
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    From what was shown at E3, there's an open world as well as "dungeon delves." Since the demo showed a dungeon that was soloed, I'm willing to bet that there are going to be some solo instanced areas as well as some that require parties.
    edited June 2012
    From what was shown at E3, there's an open world as well as "dungeon delves." Since the demo showed a dungeon that was soloed, I'm willing to bet that there are going to be some solo instanced areas as well as some that require parties.

Yes, it will have areas near city which would be persistant like open areas CO, while sewer and dungeons will be instanced for 5 party teams.

Devs have stated that the game will be solo-able for entire content, though things would be easier to do in a party.
  • fascinofascino Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Its the Cryptic Engine. If you don't expect instance walls galore, I think you're deluding yourself.
    edited June 2012
    Indeed. They are also borrowing liberally from Atari's DDO. I normally hate heavily instanced MMO's, but it worked really well in DDO because it really backed up the feel of D&D.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    As mentioned before, both. Many "dungeons" will be instanced, especially delves with a 5-person group. But many other places (both above and underground) also will be dynamic and persistent and have other players pubically running around killing monsters also. This was shown in the E3 demo, so now both types are confirmed. This makes me happy, for if I don't feel like one type, I can switch over to the other. Take that DDO's instance-crazy setup!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Indeed. They are also borrowing liberally from Atari's DDO. I normally hate heavily instanced MMO's, but it worked really well in DDO because it really backed up the feel of D&D.

You can also hunt in their non-dungeon instances (outside of 5 people dungeon), that is probably one difference. That is I think the best way.

So you kind of have an instance where hundreds of player can play toghether and freely switch between instances, and another more dungeon-like instance where you do personalised 5-PC missions.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    As mentioned before, both. Many "dungeons" will be instanced, especially delves with a 5-person group. But many other places (both above and underground) also will be dynamic and persistent and have other players pubically running around killing monsters also. This was shopwn in the E3 demo, so now both types are confirmed. This makes me happy, for if I don't feel like one type, I can switch over to the other. Take that DDO's instance-crazy setup!

I'm glad because I hated the hub-styled instances in DDO. I don't mind some instancing, but not for every place.
    edited June 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    I'm glad because I hated the hub-styled instances in DDO. I don't mind some instancing, but not for every place.

If you play CO, I think you will get the idea about how instances will be. There are monsters in open and many missions involve fighting them (and any passerby can help you, or you can team up).

However, story missions take place in individual instances. This gives you isolation and "party doing dungeon alone" kind of feel.

In truth, the open areas are also kind of big open instances - you can change the instance quickly to join with friends, and with hundred of players in that single instance. But if you find yourself having lag because of it, you can move to a less populated instance.

That is win win for all I guess, whether you like instance or open world.
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    You can also hunt in their non-dungeon instances (outside of 5 people dungeon), that is probably one difference. That is I think the best way.

So you kind of have an instance where hundreds of player can play toghether and freely switch between instances, and another more dungeon-like instance where you do personalised 5-PC missions.

Yeah, it's definately chewing the meat and spitting out the bones to mix things up like this. Honestly if there wasn't instanced dungeons this wouldn't be D&D. But there's not reason to exclude open world with large instances.

Though I will say I did like the way DDO handled exploration. It wasn't perfect, but in their large, sprawling fields and forests and the like the quests to discover landmarks and such were structured in a way that I actually gave a damn, unlike most MMOs.
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    One thing that kind of stuck with me that I heard at E3 was that the game rewards exploration. Of course with the demo there wasn't a whole lot of "straying" possible, but I did notice a few pop-up boxes that said Lore (some of the features were disabled for the demo, so we couldn't actually read the full description). So I wouldn't be surprised if there were bits of lore that you would pick up from exploring and heading off the beaten path. Maybe even treasure...
    edited June 2012
    One thing that kind of stuck with me that I heard at E3 was that the game rewards exploration. Of course with the demo there wasn't a whole lot of "straying" possible, but I did notice a few pop-up boxes that said Lore (some of the features were disabled for the demo, so we couldn't actually read the full description). So I wouldn't be surprised if there were bits of lore that you would pick up from exploring and heading off the beaten path. Maybe even treasure...

Actually there are. It was confirmed in the interview 1 year ago ... if you search for granmezzo PAX thread, towards the end you will find a really big wall of text - which I transcribed a bit of audio interview. It also has link to the actual audio.

The dev in that said that when you explore you will pick bits and peices of information about the background, also all the cannon regarding D&D and lore because the devs are D&D crazy nerds.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    And that's where my character and I intersect: we both love exploring over that "next hill" looking for that bit of lore not (necessarily) for more power, but to find what interesting information it brings. It's good to know this is supported by our fellow D&D developer nerds still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Yes, it will have areas near city which would be persistant like open areas CO, while sewer and dungeons will be instanced for 5 party teams.

Devs have stated that the game will be solo-able for entire content, though things would be easier to do in a party.

And thats the 1 million dolar question.

What happen when u reach lvl 60 ?? u still have to party to get the best items or u can just solo everything and get all u want ?? We still have many questions without answers i believe :/
    edited June 2012
    post deleted