test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massively previews Neverwinter combat

stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
edited June 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Of course they can't stop gushing about GW2 to really talk about it much...anyway check out the shil...err I mean preview here
Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
Post edited by stormdrag0n on

Comments

• ezgoezitezgoezit Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    On one hand I find it encouraging, while on the other I am starting to think I'll have a long wait on my hands before I get to play this game. I hope they take their time to put out a quality game and like most people here, I'd be happy to be part of that process, but I also know that they really want to be "on the shelves" for x-mas.

Ez
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    Thks for the quality article Stormdragon. Good to see an author asking hot topic questions like PvP and cash shop not to mention how they were ramped up for the dungeon delve when they had no healer. Sounds like there will be the traditional holy trinity which I'm hoping won't be the case. Curious to know how healing will be done, hope they don't go down the spam bot route but more of healing is on cooldown so utilization of dodging/mitigation is vital.

However one thing that peeved me off though is the association of PWE with the work that what Cryptic is doing that is being cannonized into D&D which is utter false.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    "Your other option is to use a resurrection scroll on yourself, and yes, if it's in your inventory, you have to use it. The scrolls can resurrect you with varying amounts of health, depending on their power."

Using healing scrolls on yourself while your dead, Mmmm doesnt make much sense to me (i know its a game) but leans towards the game becomeing too arcadey and easy, while party members should be able to rezz the dead toon via a scroll, i have no problem with that, myself not really keen on that.

Only early days yet though just my 2 cents worth.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    "Your other option is to use a resurrection scroll on yourself, and yes, if it's in your inventory, you have to use it. The scrolls can resurrect you with varying amounts of health, depending on their power."

Using healing scrolls on yourself while your dead, Mmmm doesnt make much sense to me (i know its a game) but leans towards the game becomeing too arcadey and easy, while party members should be able to rezz the dead toon via a scroll, i have no problem with that, myself not really keen on that.

Only early days yet though just my 2 cents worth.

yea i agree, using ur own resurrection whie dead is not a good idea IMO, i know it sucks to run all the way to the dungeon again but theres other ways to avoid that. Like u say other players using resurrection scrolls on dead people seems reasonable for me.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    yea i agree, using ur own resurrection whie dead is not a good idea IMO, i know it sucks to run all the way to the dungeon again but theres other ways to avoid that. Like u say other players using resurrection scrolls on dead people seems reasonable for me.

So you have no qualms with a graveyard run but have qualms with a self rez scroll? Both cater to easiness. If we're going this non-easy route then make it if a party wipes then the delve is over period and have to start anew. Their version vs yours is just an inconvenience really.

Really no matter how you spin it all the rez options are all ridiculous, I say go the old fashion route and it being punitive xp hit for a self rez or have someone rez you there with a scroll or trinket or spell or have your body dragged to a temple but that won't happen.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    So you have no qualms with a graveyard run but have qualms with a self rez scroll? Both cater to easiness. If we're going this non-easy route then make it if a party wipes then the delve is over period and have to start anew. Their version vs yours is just an inconvenience really.

Really no matter how you spin it all the rez options are all ridiculous, I say go the old fashion route and it being punitive xp hit for a self rez or have someone rez you there with a scroll or trinket or spell or have your body dragged to a temple but that won't happen.

Permanent dead and rez via true rez spell or something is hard to be possible in an MMO, not saying if is good or bad just saying is not possible. There is a thread about it in this foruns.

I think i read about xp penalty in one of the reviews i saw, and actually i dont want the easy path on this, actually party wipe should mean dungeon over mostly coz it seems the instances or delves are very short, heard they will be arround 30mins for normal dungeons and +1h to delves which is very low comparing to other MMO's, SO yes party wipe=game over would be great IMO

We are not sure if those scrolls are there only for the show since there wasnt clerics (we also dont know if clerics can rez lol). Beside all the game play we have seen so far we still dont have detailed info how the game will work, they are just focus their attention on combat which for me its seems very good BUT to make a fair judgment i think we need MUCH more and i rly hope they have much more to show us lol im actually a affraid that is almost all they have to show :/
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2012

What is someone (or a group) supposed to do if they wipe and no one is around to rez them? How do they get back up?
    edited June 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    What is someone (or a group) supposed to do if they wipe and no one is around to rez them? How do they get back up?

You are in the afterlife typically in the realm of the dead and you talk to some caretaker to return to the realm of the living for an amount of xp. This system which I see in NWN PWs I favor the most as it is an actual punitive consequence.
    edited June 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Permanent dead and rez via true rez spell or something is hard to be possible in an MMO, not saying if is good or bad just saying is not possible. There is a thread about it in this foruns.

I think i read about xp penalty in one of the reviews i saw, and actually i dont want the easy path on this, actually party wipe should mean dungeon over mostly coz it seems the instances or delves are very short, heard they will be arround 30mins for normal dungeons and +1h to delves which are very few comparing to other MMO's, SO yes party wipe=game over would be great IMO

We are not sure if those scrolls are there only for the show since there wasnt clerics (we also dont know if clerics can rez lol). Beside all the game play we have seen so far we still dont have detailed info how the game will work, they are just focus their attention on combat which for me its seems very good BUT to make a fair judgment i think we need MUCH more and i rly hope they have much more to show us lol im actually a affraid that is almost all they have to show :/

I'm not talking permadeath but some actual punitive repercussions like an experience hit.
    edited June 2012
    You are in the afterlife typically in the realm of the dead and you talk to some caretaker to return to the realm of the living for an amount of xp. This system which I see in NWN PWs I favor the most as it is an actual punitive consequence.

I like the idea of an underworld. There is a community developed MMO called PlaneShift where if you die then you go to the underworld and have to find your way out. It's not a hard trip, but it makes death more interesting.

It would be cool if you could avoid the xp penalty by finding your way out of the underworld. There could possibly even be quests, portals to other planes, and adventures to be had there. If someone raises you from the dead while you're down there then a popup could offer the quicker way out. If you wanted to pay and xp penalty then you could speak to an npc down there and leave immediately.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    All good ideas here! I'll hold off my opinion until I can find out if this "self-res" was a demo alteration due to the three-player only and no cleric setup mentioned before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    I like the idea of an underworld. There is a community developed MMO called PlaneShift where if you die then you go to the underworld and have to find your way out. It's not a hard trip, but it makes death more interesting.

It would be cool if you could avoid the xp penalty by finding your way out of the underworld. There could possibly even be quests, portals to other planes, and adventures to be had there. If someone raises you from the dead while you're down there then a popup could offer the quicker way out. If you wanted to pay and xp penalty then you could speak to an npc down there and leave immediately.

Many years ago, when there weren't many rpg games for linux apart from nwn, I played a game with this exact version of death penelty - eternal lands (i think). It had a maze in underworld where to escape you had to remember the route and maps didn't work there.

I would say it would go along with more of a planescape's lady of pain setting than here though as Raven queen is very fond of its souls and wouldn't just let them go back by themselves until rituals have been done (or if its is undead).

But its a nice idea so adding it in my thread under already listed death penelties.
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Many years ago, when there weren't many rpg games for linux apart from nwn, I played a game with this exact version of death penelty - eternal lands (i think). It had a maze in underworld where to escape you had to remember the route and maps didn't work there.

I would say it would go along with more of a planescape's lady of pain setting than here though as Raven queen is very fond of its souls and wouldn't just let them go back by themselves until rituals have been done (or if its is undead).

But its a nice idea so adding it in my thread under already listed death penelties.

An underworld would be amazing! Especially if it too was an open world where you could bump into other players. This would give a great opportunity for RP...
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    a "fugue plane" if there was some option for the individual to escape (and not be required for an outside party member to resurrect you only like the NWN1 PW's had in some instances.) I know of the former "underworld" game a little but didn't know of the (Linux) latter one. I think if would be awesome as a future game option or as a Foundry option to implement this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

What you say makes sense. It might not be practical in an MMO where we are so used to recyclable deaths, but it sounds more fun and a bit deeper, at least in theory, to have multiple options. I think it would add a lot to immersion as well.
    edited June 2012
    a "fugue plane" if there was some option for the individual to escape (and not be required for an outside party member to resurrect you only like the NWN1 PW's had in some instances.) I know of the former "underworld" game a little but didn't know of the (Linux) latter one. I think if would be awesome as a future game option or as a Foundry option to implement this.

I like this idea as well. I guess anything to move away from the very recycled perspective we've grown accustomed with MMO character defeat. For me these really address the problem of perma-death not being popular or a realistic option in a long term persistent setting. Death would actually be an event, typically one to avoid, and not just a 'corpse run', a dirt nap waiting for a rez, or cheap teleport back to a rez shrine.