test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No Monk Class in Neverwinter??

maverik99maverik99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi Dear PWE, i just want to know if you put monk class in the game...

Also I think that was better to put the game on D&D 3.5 for the best game experience ! ;)
Post edited by maverik99 on

Comments

• Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    maverik99 wrote: »

Also I think that was better to put the game on D&D 3.5 for the best game experience ! ;)
    No.

Not gonna happen.
  • Options
    higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I find that the Monk class actually breaks D&D. If you multi-class correctly with a Monk you can Min-Max so badly that it forces every character to have at least one level of Monk.

I remember back in the Bioware NWN of the game everyone would class spec with at least one level. Especially magic classes. And more recently Dungeons & Dragons online, follows the same old trend.

Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I find that the Monk class actually breaks D&D. If you multi-class correctly with a Monk you can Min-Max so badly that it forces every character to have at least one level of Monk.

I remember back in the Bioware NWN of the game everyone would class spec with at least one level. Especially magic classes. And more recently Dungeons & Dragons online, follows the same old trend.

Just my 2 cents

This is 4e based, so not anymore. Though we don't know how exactly the implementation would be.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    It would be cool if you could make a fighter that is a martial at hand-to-hand combat. Even if it's not the classic monk class that might be pretty cool, especially if there were interesting powers relating to H2H and close combat.

Maybe there could be a priest and an arcane (battle mage) version of H2H builds as well.

Flexibility in roles and playstyles within an archetype is a bonus. One thing that makes RIFTs character classes so interesting to me is how I can build the archetype how I like to play. Even though I love my EQ2 Warden (and do play him as a battle priest), it is a much more limiting and confined class system. It can be stifling at times by comparison.
  • Options
    mzeeusikumzeeusiku Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2012
    I would say the rule change broke the monk out of 2-3. Original class rocked. Only stout players picked the class cause they died when you sneezed on them. But once you got to level 4 things pretty much took off. I know how you feel about the mage/monk thingy, (I for one was never a fan of the UO tank mage) but the game could be altered to fit.

Its an MMO. As much as we want it to be D&D, its not. Its only D&Desque.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    maverik99 wrote: »

3.5? Meh. I prefer Mekton Z system.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Monk is not part of the listed intial class releases for NWO. I do hope however it is added ASAP. When it comes to 4e-inspired, monk is very cool. It is the only class that has powers in a "complete package" offering both move and standard actions in one power, has a monk auto-damage when you hit with a power flury that has multiple "school of" types, is considered psionic, and is much more balanced than the 3.5 uber-stat requirments (pretty much main is dex, and either strength or wisdom as your secondary stat.)

The big drawback is monks don't have many ranged attack options (and most monk attacks are melee touch, but can use monk-based weapons, but often use touch-unarmed options with an implement called a "ki-focus")

Long story short, the monk class is pretty unique compared to all other 4e classes, is a solid striker support class, and is personally a lot of fun to play (my second-favorite class to play after wizards.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I don't think monk would be introduced sooner than paladin and sorcerer, but I do agree that 4e monk feels like it is done right. So I would also like to try it out after my cleric and paladin. Ideally, cleric should be at launch, then after I reach lvl15x3 or so, Paladin should be launched. Then after I cap paladin, monk should be launched Its all set :)
  • Options
    casiumcasium Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    vangald wrote: »

Yes, I personally believe the monk class does fit the story/game setting.

Regardless, how the mechanics work in the game, the Monk class has ALWAYS been in the D&D classes to pick (as far as I remember); I believe this is because Monks/priests have been around since as long as someone could swing a stick.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've not read 4th edition monk, but monk's are one class I never allowed in my D&D game due to how blatantly overpowered and game breaking they are. Yea, people picked them a lot because once you hit their stride, which as previously mentioned started around level 4, they started becoming too good.

Monk's along with Drow Elves, typically got an instant no from me.
  • Options
    ezgoezitezgoezit Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    IMO Monks in 4e barely hold their own as strikers. I don't think I've seen an OP 4e monk yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Was actually looking over the monk in the PHB3, just now, and the combination of attack and move action abilities make them quite lethal, in the hands of a smart player. Since, from my experience, most people only played the monks, especially original AD&D and 3rd edition monk for their overpoweredness, that would present a disadvantage for some ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    ... overpoweredness, that would present a disadvantage...

Balance in online game is easily rectified using the nerf bat, or cooldown timers, or etc etc... PnP balance is a different thing requiring hours of gameplay, but online character balancing is relatively easier.

So I am sure it would be a minor problem, if at all. (online game is an adaptation of the 4e anyways, not a copy)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Balance in online game is easily rectified using the nerf bat, or cooldown timers, or etc etc... PnP balance is a different thing requiring hours of gameplay, but online character balancing is relatively easier.

So I am sure it would be a minor problem, if at all. (online game is an adaptation of the 4e anyways, not a copy)

No offense,b ut evidently you haven't played online games very long if you think that balance is easily achieved any faster than a PnP. In fact a PnP i could fix an overpowered class much faster by A) removing the abilities causing the problem or B) just not allowing it to begin with. An online game, once the genie is out of the bottle, it seems to take a lot of time (even from devtopia juggernauts like Blizzard) before any balance ever sees the light of day.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    No offense,b ut evidently you haven't played online games very long if you think that balance is easily achieved any faster than a PnP. In fact a PnP i could fix an overpowered class much faster by A) removing the abilities causing the problem or B) just not allowing it to begin with. An online game, once the genie is out of the bottle, it seems to take a lot of time (even from devtopia juggernauts like Blizzard) before any balance ever sees the light of day.

Also, and unlike MMO's, pnp DM's can set their own rules, if a DM might think ur character is overpower he can just nerf it somehow.

So yea, things can easier be change in pnp than on an MMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

What you are talking about is :- 1) agreeable group and 2) DM.
    If you form a static agreeable group in an online game, you can do the same in an online game. Agreed that in this game DM won't be there, but a static group can agree on preconceived rules (I remember there were static and semi-static groups on DDO. There were even groups for specifically so-called nerfed characters (stats determined by roll).

However in pnp if you have a group which disagrees over everything, (especially if you know them for quite some time), group mates will try to take advantage of everything or you can keep fighting over long debates. That is why I said balance in pnp is not easily achievable - limited prints, limited errata; also game-balance is not something the pnp makers are primarily aiming for.

And the problem with online games is not balance - which I reiterate can be done quite easily, but applying patches. Applying a patch to do X may sometimes cause unexpected problem in Y. However, the new concept in online gaming of constant patching/minor patching, has changed things a lot. The only reason...
    well you get the idea and let me not make my post long.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    btw,
    No offense,b ut evidently you haven't played online games very long if you think that balance is easily achieved any faster than a PnP...
    None taken, as for answer, it depends on your definition of long. If its mmorpg, maybe only seven or so years [you can say around 6-8 hours a week]... but for online games, I guess I can call it long. Especially if you include rts games starting from star-craft and other craft and...
  • Options
    orchaldrambororchaldrambor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not too deep into the DnD rules, but I think a monk or just martial arts class would be great. I played pretty much every mmo that came out and a martial arts fighter is just what is missing in the mmos since years. The last good mmos with martial arts classes were EQ2 and Star Wars "Galaxies", and I always loved to play those. I know there are enough asia-mmos which have such classes, but there, the rest of the game is not that good.

However, I know that there is a complex monk class in the DnD Universe, so why not add a class based on that, and a fighter without weapons would be a nice change to all the other classes who just need their weapon to be.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No, there isn't a Monk class. And won't be for a VERY long time.
  • Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Monk is a striker with the psionic power source in 4th edition. They'll show up eventually.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I second this. I love playing the Monk class, it can certainly be fun and challenging to play. :D
  • Options
    leematonleematon Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I agree with bpphantom and rabbiddog. A D&D game without a monk class - unthinkable.
This discussion has been closed.