test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swim - climb - fly

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Things that dissapoint me in many MMOs is the inability to swim or climb. In some MMOs you hit a wall where there is water (which is weird), in others you just walk thru it as the level is always knee-deep (which is weirder).

I don't think it necessary to have swimming quests and such, like in "that other MMO", but I would still love to see swimming, even if it's just to get somewhere, say across a stream, or to an island, or a sukken dungeon, etc...

Climbing is rare in MMOs, but would be another fun aspect. Again the idea is to get somewhere only accessible this way.

Flying I mention only because of the other two. I agree with those who said on the mount thread that flying mounts aren't really necessary.

I would also add skill points to these features. So as if you go swimming or climbing a lot, you progressively get better at it, and you can access harder areas of the map.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    All three are important in DnD. Flying and Swimming are common in todays MMO's and unlike superheros flying or levitate should be duration based. I agree climbing really needs to start being implemented into these games. A rouge should be able to scale walls or towers to break into areas. Mountain cliffs should be scalable.
    edited April 2012
    Colm wrote: »
    Things that dissapoint me in many MMOs is the inability to swim or climb. In some MMOs you hit a wall where there is water (which is weird), in others you just walk thru it as the level is always knee-deep (which is weirder).

I don't think it necessary to have swimming quests and such, like in "that other MMO", but I would still love to see swimming, even if it's just to get somewhere, say across a stream, or to an island, or a sukken dungeon, etc...

Climbing is rare in MMOs, but would be another fun aspect. Again the idea is to get somewhere only accessible this way.

Flying I mention only because of the other two. I agree with those who said on the mount thread that flying mounts aren't really necessary.

I would also add skill points to these features. So as if you go swimming or climbing a lot, you progressively get better at it, and you can access harder areas of the map.

the water barrier I can only think of was in final fantasy 11 and 14, but that was because they were trying to keep it final fantasy....none of the games allow u to swim.:D

But I do agree, the climb bothered me a lot since my rogue could never climb, im not a fan of leaving skills of classes out. :cool:
    edited April 2012
    I vote for it. +1. I would love to see swimming and especially climbing! Land mounts/flying mounts are great for covering land.
    edited April 2012
    daxtal wrote:
    I vote for it. +1. I would love to see swimming and especially climbing! Land mounts/flying mounts are great for covering land.

what about shoes with wings on them? got to have those.....+5 even. :p
    edited April 2012
    If I see something flying in this game it had better be a high level NPC or a Non player owned Dragon.
    edited April 2012
    Fly wasn't that high a spell in 3rd edition so if it's the same in fourth (I don't know it by heart) then I'm sure they could add it so long as it was on a timer like in regular dnd. If you run out of time and you're still in the air well too bad. Every class generally has a ranged power at that level anyway or could use terrain to reach them, such as climbing a tree or wall. I'm sure they could add climbing so long as they do it from the get go like DC online. Like flying, your climb skill could effect how much time you can spend climbing before you get tired and drop, would help stop people just climbing to the top of a tower just as it would stop people from flying there. Just a thought anyway.
    edited April 2012
    If I see something flying in this game it had better be a high level NPC or a Non player owned Dragon.
    felfox wrote: »
    Fly wasn't that high a spell in 3rd edition so if it's the same in fourth (I don't know it by heart) then I'm sure they could add it so long as it was on a timer like in regular dnd.

i don't like the idea of flying mounts in a game like this i dont want to se every tom <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and harry flying around on a pegasus or dragon

on the other hand a short distance, limited time/speed spell might be okay enough to tolerate.
    edited April 2012
    I brought this topic up awhile back as well. And unfortunately we still have no definitive information on any of it.

The no swimming (wall, knee deep or otherwise) in MMOs also irritates the heck out of me. Being able to swim down to the sunken ship or the secret underwater dungeon entrance would be awesome.
    I would like to see more climbing stuff going on too as already mentioned. Rogues being able to scale walls, towers and what not.

When oh when is Cryptic going to start answering these simple game mechanic questions? Does it really need to be so hush hush top secret?
    edited April 2012
    A thread already existed on this multiple times. Long story short if has to be both supported in the engine and (for things like flying) enabled for the player and we need to have what it called a z axis. I'm not going to go further but state check the titles of old threads to see if it's been made beforfe making new ones. Since Turbine hasn't commented if it's there or not, neither will I here. Find the Ask Turbine Questions for StormShade (Devs) here, read it to see if it was asked/answered and post this if not.
    edited April 2012
    I asked about flying, SS said no comments.
    So lets speculate!
    *twinkle*

Note:- The illithid standing undetected behind me twinkled, not me.

Just realized:- 4e has floating islands.
    In that context, don't you think flying would be more common in NWO?
    edited April 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    I asked about flying, SS said no comments.
    So lets speculate!
    *twinkle*

Note:- The illithid standing undetected behind me twinkled, not me.

Just realized:- 4e has floating islands.
    In that context, don't you think flying would be more common in NWO?

As common as commoners having it? No. Having teleportation circles and mounts, maybe.
  • banjinkunbanjinkun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 65
    edited May 2012
    A thread already existed on this multiple times. Long story short if has to be both supported in the engine and (for things like flying) enabled for the player and we need to have what it called a z axis. I'm not going to go further but state check the titles of old threads to see if it's been made beforfe making new ones. Since Turbine hasn't commented if it's there or not, neither will I here. Find the Ask Turbine Questions for StormShade (Devs) here, read it to see if it was asked/answered and post this if not.

Ok, I had to relog with my old PWI account and merge it with the Cryptic one, so now I'm Banjinkun, where I used to be Colm... Anyway.

It seems the "Questions for StormShade (Devs)" thread disappeared. Where'd it go ? Did my questions hit a wall ? O_O"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    truthseeker here, and the thread is also still there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]