test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Epic Weapons...

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
Will there be Epic weapons and Epic armor availible in "Neverwinter" upcoming PC RPG game???, please reply today my friends.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Epic level weapons and armor? Levels 21-30, so not at release.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Gods above I hope not, but probably. Look, I don't mean to be rude, but it seems a lot of people are asking questions as if this were going to be some MMO where it's all about grinding for phat loot. There are plenty of games, and more coming down the pipe where you can do that all the live long day. D&D isn't about that, at least good D&D. In fact, originally it was all low magic which made finding magic stuff incredibly valuable and rewarding. Now it's like, 'Oh? Another epic sword of uberslaying +10? Meh, vendor it.'

Even in the FR where magic is all over the world, it's not really all that common, particularly for most people. I know I'm one of the few people where Cryptic wouldn't have to worry about what I distribute for loot in my modules because I intend them to be low magic. For me, the story is the thing. I want people going out and stopping the evil XYZ because it's necessary and the right thing to do and finding some loot along the way is just a nice bonus.

I'm already concerned with the podcast where they're talking about armor sets and such like it's Diablo/WoW. I understand some people may want this. And this is just another reason why I'd love to see shards with alternate rulesets...like a low magic shard. I don't want to stop anyone from having fun, and if Monty Haul modules are your thing, knock yourself out. I just don't want to participate in them. I get my kicks through things other than loot.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My understanding is that 4E is less item centric. (Even if FR/Neverwinter tends to be a bit more high magic than other settings.)

It would only be a guess, but I think we won't be seeing such epic gear ("phat loot"). At least not terribly often and definitely not at launch. (Although some of it may be in this core campaign they are talking about. Full on epic would be something of a surprise though.)

I would expect some reluctance to go epic at all, you may see a level cap at 20 or below for a while. But that usually doesn't last against the demands of the powerbuilders.

Frankly was a little surprised that 4e went in the direction it did. I was expecting something more MMO like with high or no level caps with less meaningful differences between the levels.

- Bar
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cutter wrote: »
    Gods above I hope not, but probably. Look, I don't mean to be rude, but it seems a lot of people are asking questions as if this were going to be some MMO where it's all about grinding for phat loot. There are plenty of games, and more coming down the pipe where you can do that all the live long day. D&D isn't about that, at least good D&D. In fact, originally it was all low magic which made finding magic stuff incredibly valuable and rewarding. Now it's like, 'Oh? Another epic sword of uberslaying +10? Meh, vendor it.'

Even in the FR where magic is all over the world, it's not really all that common, particularly for most people. I know I'm one of the few people where Cryptic wouldn't have to worry about what I distribute for loot in my modules because I intend them to be low magic. For me, the story is the thing. I want people going out and stopping the evil XYZ because it's necessary and the right thing to do and finding some loot along the way is just a nice bonus.

I'm already concerned with the podcast where they're talking about armor sets and such like it's Diablo/WoW. I understand some people may want this. And this is just another reason why I'd love to see shards with alternate rulesets...like a low magic shard. I don't want to stop anyone from having fun, and if Monty Haul modules are your thing, knock yourself out. I just don't want to participate in them. I get my kicks through things other than loot.

i m with you on this one Cutter. I reached top level with my fighter dwarf in D&D (playing through the original red and blue boxes) with no more than a sword +1( but i was carrying a huge pack of gold :))...and never complained about it. magic weapons got a slightly more common in ADD1 though but i still did not get many...i think my DM was very stingy :)

nowadays it s more about power <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (can i say that?) and ego fest...very sad...but it just depends who you are dealing with... difficult to know with online game though. I ll be more than happy to play a good adventure with little or no loot but with a good story, traps, puzzles, enigmas etc...and some good old hack and slash of course:) i just need some golds to buy me some new torches, healing potions, a good meal and a night sleep at the local Inn before going for my next adventure :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What, no phat lewt? I'm outta here ..

No, seriously. Just the name "epic weapons" makes me sort of cringe. Magic items should be the icing on the cake, the flavour of the game, the stuff that makes your game a little more fun - and on another note - please include some descriptions on the items! I recall especially nwn2, and especially MotB, every piece of equipment had 15-30 lines of text on them, with the appearance, the history and the lore of the equipment. I don't know about the rest of you, but I spent hours just reading through those, and relating them to realms lore. I thought that was a pretty awesome feature.

Long story short, please don't include any equipment that might be encompassed with the word "epic". Also, please don't include epic levels, or epic paths. I don't want to play a game where everyone suddenly turns into demigods and exarchs, just 'cause they like to grind a lot ..
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    barfubaz wrote: »
    My understanding is that 4E is less item centric. (Even if FR/Neverwinter tends to be a bit more high magic than other settings.)
    Actually, 4E scales in level with the assumption that your character is gaining magic items along the way. Monsters/encounters are balanced with that assumption.

This does not equate to Monty Haul, just that heroes are getting heroic items.

From the DMG:
    During the course of gaining (a) level, expect a group of five characters to acquire four magic items ranging in level from one to four levels above the party level.

That equates to 1 magic item found every 2 to 2.5 encounters, on average. This is factored into the mechanics and balance of D&D 4th Edition.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Aurilandur wrote: »
    No, seriously. Just the name "epic weapons" makes me sort of cringe. Magic items should be the icing on the cake, the flavour of the game, the stuff that makes your game a little more fun - and on another note - please include some descriptions on the items! I recall especially nwn2, and especially MotB, every piece of equipment had 15-30 lines of text on them, with the appearance, the history and the lore of the equipment. I don't know about the rest of you, but I spent hours just reading through those, and relating them to realms lore. I thought that was a pretty awesome feature.

While I agree with the "no epics" comment, I do think that Toril has a plethora of generic magic items - it's a high-magic world, magic is so common that a +2 flaming longsword is not extremely special (granted only the upper class and adventurers could afford one, but still).

I think if they want to introduce some artifacts that have your history/lore, great...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    reillan wrote: »
    While I agree with the "no epics" comment, I do think that Toril has a plethora of generic magic items - it's a high-magic world, magic is so common that a +2 flaming longsword is not extremely special (granted only the upper class and adventurers could afford one, but still).

I think if they want to introduce some artifacts that have your history/lore, great...

Actually, I was thinking something along the lines of descriptions on this spear, this armour, this robe and this shield.

Some flavour text on the items that make them fit in with the setting, provide a little lore for the FR oriented, and add some personality to the items - instead of some generic "flaming sword +2".
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Actually, I was thinking something along the lines of descriptions on this spear, this armour, this robe and this shield.

Some flavour text on the items that make them fit in with the setting, provide a little lore for the FR oriented, and add some personality to the items - instead of some generic "flaming sword +2".

I actually realized what you were talking about :) I just think it's not really feasible to do it for every item because there *are* generic items in FR. The way I see it, if a particular mob or quest drops specific items, those items should be named and have a description (so, for instance, if a quest offers you 4 possible armor items that you pick from as a reward, each has a unique name and description), and some random drops could be "rare" drops that have names and descriptions as well, but the system should also incorporate a random generic loot drop system that could potentially drop an unnamed +1 longsword or a +5 vorpal great sword
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I think that'd really only be possible, or desirable, if they wrote up some code to generate 'random backstory' for items as they were dropped.

I mean, it'd be a bit silly if everyone in a party all was wearing the same "Ring of Bob the Lucky"*.

Actually, setting up a system to generate some short random lore bits is not that hard (did it ages ago for a couple different MUDs I did lib coding for), just actually storing all of those bits for all of the items a player came across during the career with the unique text to each item ends up getting a little crazy on the DB side of things after a while.

In the end, I'd love to see a fair number of name and historic magic items with attched lore to them but don't think every item needs that as not every +1 sword manages to become famous or get owned by someone who does.

Actually, looking at the fiction for FR... How many of the heroes have named their weapons? There have been some pretty prominent named weapons but it seems like only maybe half the cast ever does so.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hythian wrote: »

Actually, looking at the fiction for FR... How many of the heroes have named their weapons? There have been some pretty prominent named weapons but it seems like only maybe half the cast ever does so.

This might not matter at all but in R.A. Salvatores books. I just read the orc king. Everyone in that book has a named magic item with special properties. It seems all the cast in his books use named items.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well there needs to be something at lvl cap to do... and no redoing a class or searching through medicore content won't do. The good modules will already have been done and the rest will prolly be "meh" quality.

PW is a good choice to keep the players attention going, RPing is another option but that doesn't tune into a lot of people most likely. There is no PvP so that hampers stuff to do at lvl cap considiberally. Some kind of hard to get gear is a neccessity to any game to keep the players content. Not talking bout purple text uber one-shot kill everything items but something that you can strive for with your character that gives some acomplishment.

Mayhaps like some religous artifact, there is endless items in the lore that they can put into the game that the players can search for. Make it a gruesome and very time consuming search into some of the darkest depths and not a 30 min quest run to rekill named beast over n over for items. Just don't make it a kill grindfest of one creature that people can do blindfolded and drunk.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This might not matter at all but in R.A. Salvatores books. I just read the orc king. Everyone in that book has a named magic item with special properties. It seems all the cast in his books use named items.

So did the majority of the main characters in the Dragonlance Chroniciles. Typically your always ganna give your cast some kind of unique items.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    I think that'd really only be possible, or desirable, if they wrote up some code to generate 'random backstory' for items as they were dropped.

I mean, it'd be a bit silly if everyone in a party all was wearing the same "Ring of Bob the Lucky"*.

Actually, setting up a system to generate some short random lore bits is not that hard (did it ages ago for a couple different MUDs I did lib coding for), just actually storing all of those bits for all of the items a player came across during the career with the unique text to each item ends up getting a little crazy on the DB side of things after a while.

In the end, I'd love to see a fair number of name and historic magic items with attched lore to them but don't think every item needs that as not every +1 sword manages to become famous or get owned by someone who does.

Yes and no. Some items make sense to be one-of-a-kind, for instance "Lathar's last belt" or "The Nimbleknife's knife." There was only one Lathar, and only one Nimbleknife. However, many items were duplicated on Faerûn, even items what were once one-of-a-kind, but then started to be produced by several wizards and spread out over the realms. That doesn't mean they can't have a good background description.

I'm not necessarily saying that every item has to be an artifact like Drizzt's "Twinkle" and "Icingdeath", I'm just saying that adding flavour text helps the explorer-type of gamer, which I am, to enjoy the game more, finding odd information and searching every nook and cranny we can find..

Adding random lore descriptions seems kind of odd to me. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of tying exactly this item with that piece of lore? Anyway, I'm probably too used to elaborate stories soaked in FR lore, like the MotB one, and sort of wishing that feel could be transfered to the NWO game.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I just wish that based in the number and strength of the encounters of a module, the creator would receive a number of "Treasure Points". Then the creator could add specific loot instead of using Cryptic's tables (or a mix of both). In addition, the ability to name the items and give them a specific description would be most welcome.

That way, I can add "epic" weapons to my campaigns.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wintersong wrote:
    I just wish that based in the number and strength of the encounters of a module, the creator would receive a number of "Treasure Points". Then the creator could add specific loot instead of using Cryptic's tables (or a mix of both). In addition, the ability to name the items and give them a specific description would be most welcome.

That way, I can add "epic" weapons to my campaigns.

And then you'd have undermined the module foundry rating system that people will place their vote on based of treasure instead of content. Keep the "epic" stuff in Cryptic only content, make it part of the highest quality modules or Cryptic choses player made modules if one is worthy of it, if we even get such items.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I love the item history thing since my PnP/MUD days too. Hopefully we can create some of this stuff ourselves. It doesn't mean it has to be an epic weapon to have an interesting backstory. In fact, one of greatest items I ever came across with the most interesting backstories was a cursed item.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Saco123 wrote:
    And then you'd have undermined the module foundry rating system that people will place their vote on based of treasure instead of content. Keep the "epic" stuff in Cryptic only content, make it part of the highest quality modules or Cryptic choses player made modules if one is worthy of it, if we even get such items.
    There will people that will vote a module good or bad because: they got good random loot, the got bad random loot, they hate the creator, they like the creator, they liked the story, they disliked the story, they disliked the use of drows, they liked the use of drows, it ignores FR canon, they don't care that it ignores FR canon, etc.

And the "epic" items I describe are Cryptic's (which they give randomly so not much to "keep") just handpicked according to challenge ratings. If some will vote for "loot", some will do by story too. So what? Not everybody is going to abuse the Foundry to buff characters and not everybody is going to reward only the modules with "good loot". And you know that. :)