test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Permafrost Targeting in Svardvorg Trial

I have an issue where when I play Svardvorg trial I get excessively targeted by the permafrost and red circles for the ice formations. The last time I played it, I was in permafrost 12/12 times and the red circles targeted me 14/14 times. This happens so often, that my friends have an ongoing joke about me not playing half trial because of it. This happens in both my healing and dps builds (I play a bard), and I have not noticed a difference between the two. The friends that I play with do not see this happening to them like it does to me. This is upsetting because sometimes no one can get to me in time an I am downed for the rest of the game, and since it can happen so often, I have to be more vigilant than anyone else.

Comments

• Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    It might be a Bard thing. Hope it gets worked out. In the meantime, when you see the warnings for ice, run like h*ll to everyone else (or just stay near everyone else all the time) and just before it goes off, position yourself in front of them. That way they can't miss you and have to kill the ice. It's what I used to do when I played the trial. I was on DC and got targeted a lot, maybe it's a healer-class thing. Usually the times it goes wrong is when you are far away from others or behind them and they just don't notice you, you either have to scream out 'ICE' in chat and hope they're watching and can get to you in time, or better still and as I said, make sure you're in their eyeline when it goes off and they cannot visually miss you, preferably right on top of them and in front of them so even if they're as dopey AF they will still realize you're in need of saving, and if they're hitting a miniboss just put yourself in front of them between them and the boss because that way they will automatically hit the ice and get you out anyway. I used to miss the ice a few times, but it was only because I didn't notice it and was looking at something else, so this approach hopefully takes care of that.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 407 Arc User
    And if you're freeing someone from ice... look out for the other one, because they happen in two's.
    I always thought this was the reason for the "stay on the rug" advice, so that nobody is far away when they get trapped.
  • Options
    stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    I've also felt "picked on" by the ice mechanics in this trial at times, as if every time it popped, I was the one encased. This has happened on my Cleric, Warlock, and Rogue, so it may not be a class thing.

I'll echo the other comments: part 1, stay on the rug. Part 2 / 3, crowd around whatsisface or the manticore.
  • Options
    datarider#1036 datarider Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    I always thought its a heal thing, because I also get the frost very often as a heal and never as a tank :D
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The mechanic is supposed to target 1 Healer and 1 DPS each round. I don't think it distinguishes between cleric healer and dps since when it came out all clerics were healer by default. It has hit me on Arbiter all the time as well so it seems likely Bard got some recycled code and is also always counted as a healer.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother