test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Subject: Urgent Need for Enhanced Two-Way Blocking Feature in Neverwinter

morinettimorinetti Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited September 2023 in General Discussion (PC)
Greetings, fellow adventurers of Neverwinter,

Lately, I've been mulling over a major concern that affects us all - the inadequacy of our current blocking system. It's high time we had a real discussion about this, as it touches on our privacy and security within our interconnected universe.

The Current Block System Issue:
When we hit that block button, we expect to disappear from the offender's radar, right? It's not just about annoyance; it's about security. Yet, here we are, finding out that they can still track us, see us, and possibly plan who knows what.

A Matter of Security:
In a universe as vast and diverse as ours, personal security is paramount. If we decide to cut ties with someone, it should be absolute. We shouldn't have to worry about them lurking in the shadows, watching our every move, or worse, plotting something nefarious.

The Need to Educate:
I understand that many players might not be aware of this issue, so let's spread the word. Our community's safety is a shared responsibility. We need a blocking system that guarantees our safety, where the blocked party has no access to our presence or actions, and vice versa.

Let's Strengthen Our Defenses:
As a united spacefaring community, we should be able to protect ourselves and our loved ones. An enhanced two-way block system is the first step in securing our digital footprints and ensuring peace of mind in our journeys across the stars.

Comments

• Options
    pelgraxpelgrax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 481 Arc User
    I'm sorry but is this a serious post????
    How can there be a security issue in playing a game unless you've been daft enough to divulge any personal information to other players .
    Block whoever offends you and get over it . As said it's a GAME , not real life .
    At the end of the day if someone offends you report them to the customer support and if they believe it's an issue they will take relevant action . Worst case scenario find another game that you deem less offensive to you .
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    What could somebody do to you that would make you want to block them??
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

Someone that used to be a friend that violated that trust.
    Being excessively insulting in PMs for no reason other than being an HAMSTER.
    Reported spammers automatically get blocked.

There are as many reasons as there are players.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    "URGENT: IT'S TIME TO FIX NEVERWINTER FOR GOOD!" from morinetti.

"SUBJECT: URGENT NEED FOR ENHANCED TWO-WAY BLOCKING FEATURE IN NEVERWINTER" from morinetti.

Now I am more curious what the next "Urgent" post will be.

**In seriousness, seem like you need to deal with these "urgent" matters with CS first, if they can even help you. Asking the Devs to implement these changes would take time and at their current pace, a year or two. If you are really being stalked and players are being toxic to you, take a break for a few weeks/month. No game is worth toiling with your health.
    Post edited by nic1985 on
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    morinetti said:

It's high time we had a real discussion about this, as it touches on our privacy and security within our interconnected universe.

Is there anyone who agrees with your premise though? Not much to discuss other than, a reminder that if you are talking in public spaces, expect others to read it. So what if someone I blocked can read my messages, so can everyone else in that same chat channel unless they've blocked me. You block someone to not read their messages, not the other way around. Treat public chats as you would any real life public space. You can't force others to not listen to what you say, but you can choose to ignore what others say.

If you are so concerned about someone stalking you though, have a chat with customer support, and maybe have that restraining order handy as proof.
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    I think this is a valid issue but I think it may be an logistical issue in an MMO. Let's say you play in one of the random queues, and that person you want to block just happens to be there (randomly) I am not sure they have the technical ability to block them 100% because you have to, by design, be in the group. One could argue that perhaps you would just appear as "blocked" but this could be an issue for some group dynamics/combat issues. Also, there may be issues that people (with bad intentions) could do this to avoid being kicked and so forth. They enter a PUG, for example, and instantly block everyone else. IDK I think you can see where their could be some real issues with this and bad actors.

All this said, one thing that does bother me is that anyone can see anyone else's PSN name and is there is no way to block that which might be in violation of some EU and other countries privacy laws in regards to letting people hide personal information. Anywho, I don't expect them to do anything about it.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

I have received both HAMSTER & death threats via Neverwinter Online in voice and text chat. Aye, I want to block that person completely but I can't. I have reported some but you can't report voice chat threats because there is no way in game to record it so you have no proof.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

All this said, one thing that does bother me is that anyone can see anyone else's PSN name and is there is no way to block that which might be in violation of some EU and other countries privacy laws in regards to letting people hide personal information. Anywho, I don't expect them to do anything about it.

PSN account names are public information though? You are the one who sets what info one can see with a PSN. It's just like the forum names here, it's public facing, but you don't know my email address or real name.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    morinetti said:

Lately, I've been mulling over a major concern that affects us all - the inadequacy of our current blocking system. It's high time we had a real discussion about this, as it touches on our privacy and security within our interconnected universe.

The Current Block System Issue:
    When we hit that block button, we expect to disappear from the offender's radar, right? It's not just about annoyance; it's about security. Yet, here we are, finding out that they can still track us, see us, and possibly plan who knows what.

A Matter of Security:
    In a universe as vast and diverse as ours, personal security is paramount. If we decide to cut ties with someone, it should be absolute. We shouldn't have to worry about them lurking in the shadows, watching our every move, or worse, plotting something nefarious.

The Need to Educate:
    I understand that many players might not be aware of this issue, so let's spread the word. Our community's safety is a shared responsibility. We need a blocking system that guarantees our safety, where the blocked party has no access to our presence or actions, and vice versa.

Let's Strengthen Our Defenses:
    As a united spacefaring community, we should be able to protect ourselves and our loved ones. An enhanced two-way block system is the first step in securing our digital footprints and ensuring peace of mind in our journeys across the stars.

While I don't want to sound as rude.. But are you serious with your post???

I mean, have you ever played mmo rpg games before, the Neverwinter online most toxic players here are nothing more but innocent bunnies, compared to other games toxicity...

Don't like person in voice chat?? mute him/her... That's it.. Problem solved...

Someone threating you??
    Well,, simply hit block user and that's it..

Remember,, no matter which game you would play, never ever ever reveal your personal information.. Name, Addres, and etc.
    That's how you protect yourself..

Email? - Never use main/personal email for games... Have seprated one,, cuz if any games security get compromised ( database breach) your email get leaked. And it's not hard to find out who and what person use it...

Also don't use same name/paswords for for various games..

That's how you protect yourself, and these rules apply not only to mmo rpg games, but to any online activities..

Now about your two way blocking stuff and protect ourselves and our loved ones, while I don't want to sound rude, but what the -_- you talk about?? How many enemies have you made??

A Matter of Security:

This part sounds like too over dramatic persons issues. Like you don't like x player and now expect some system which would block him or make him invizible...

And the part plotting something nefarious. While I again I don't want to sound rude, but this line just cracked me up.

How many enemies have you made, and why you assume someome ploting something against you???
    My advice would be stop flying in space, and get down to earth( reality)... No one cares about you, as long you don't start picking picking fights with someone in chat/voice chats..

I play this game alone for 9+ years, in that time period I have heard tons of threatening, calling outs and etc... How all ended up?? nothing... I simply threw player in block list and that's it... This is game have no PK feature,, he can't do anything,, there is instances, so no harasment can be done either...

And if you still feel threatened if there other players, perhaps you should rethink is it wise for you to play mmo games in general...

Cuz as long there is way of communicate ( chat/voice chat) someone will always gona be toxic.. That's part of mmo culture... It's unavoidable. Behind all players avatars are real people and there was is and always be, some friendly some toxic, some helpfull and some harasing. No matter what kind system would get added, there will always found way to go around it,, and also it can be exploited in negative way...
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    If I read the last section of the OP right, this post should be in the Star Wars forum.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

If I read the last section of the OP right, this post should be in the Star Wars forum.

A galaxy far, far away?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    mithmyrrmithmyrr Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2023

I was guessing Star Trek Online, and they just copy/pasted from that forum, and changed it to Neverwinter for the greeting.

Edit to add: in reply to the topic, two-way blocking is pointless in a free online game, where someone can just make a new account to stalk/harass you with.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Oh sorry, yea Trek, not wars. Can u tell I never play it?
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    mithmyrr said:

I was guessing Star Trek Online, and they just copy/pasted from that forum, and changed it to Neverwinter for the greeting.

Edit to add: in reply to the topic, two-way blocking is pointless in a free online game, where someone can just make a new account to stalk/harass you with.

Not just pointless but waste of time..

As you mentioned player can create alt toon and keep harasing player.
    Other thing, what is two way blocking??? In whole talk about two way blocking from Stalkers and etc, was not mentioned a single word how it should work in first place...

In over 20 years of playing mmo games,, I have seen how some companies attempted to make filtration from stalkers and etc..... All failed. Even if feature get implemented, within year It was either cut down or disabled..

As long there is any method of communication between plaeyrs, you can't avoid harasment.. Even if you can't chat/voice chat... I can lure group of mobs to your location, then run away and let you die.. And after that simply do TeaBaging.

I can assure you,, in all these years I have seen almost all possible methods how playes can harrasing others.

I even have played game called EVE online and there was Corporation ( Guild) Called Goonswarm federation.
    Their game motto was > "We are not here to ruin the game, we are here to ruin your game". They were real toxc players.. And main goal for them is to make others rage quit.

Here in Neverwitner can't happen like that.. Game have instance based contents, also no PK ( player killer) possible, other than few pvp areas like ice wind dalte. So more less there is no way someone can haras you. Sure there is chat,, but that issue can be solved by blocking toxic players.

So If Cryptic Studios want to try develop some new two step blocking feature, then yeah why not. Let them try do it. But the outcome goan be exacly like what other companies had. And it's all cuz very concept is itself is flawed from very start..
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================