test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

False advertising

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User

Why is the Minotaur Mercenary standing in PE - and put there as an example to entice players to chase after it - much larger than the actual one you get?

Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• Options
    trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    It's like on cereal boxes where they are "enlarged to show texture".

Mounts have been put on display in Protector's Enclave for years...
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    I see his point, they should be the same size, the mounts in PE usually are. It shouldn't affect your gameplay though, it will do or not do the same amount.
  • Options
    It just irks me it's not the same as what u get. Quite conceivably some player could see it there and make a decision they want it based on how impressive it looks at the size it is in PE (which is quite a lot larger and more imposing in person than in that pic) and then be disappointed and a little let-down when they finally get it. I will always always always (and always have been) be against anything in Neverwinter which brings a bad feeling to players, it happens too often so I'm really sensitive to it when I see it. The company needs to be more aware of little things like this and how they can impact on players and the gaming experience it's providing. A lot of small disappointments add-up and eventually lose players from the game. This is why I sometimes post on things which might seem inconsequential, it's always part of a larger picture. The motive is always to help the game avoid making players feel less than wonderful.
  • Options

It's like on cereal boxes where they are "enlarged to show texture".

Mounts have been put on display in Protector's Enclave for years...

Yea I know, I liked it better when they were down the other end and where they are now was noticeboards.
  • Options
    ksellksell Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Dear devs
    if cyclope comapanion is in about size of enemy cyclope,
    then why minotaur companion is only half enemy one size ?

Scale on op pictrue looks way better
  • Options
    percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    Greetings!

Thanks for your feedback! First of all, I would like to clarify that there is no false advertising as we never said that the companions or mounts which are displayed are fully identical to the companions/mounts that players can summon. It's just a glimpse.

I'm not sure if it also applies to companions, but all mounts will be different since they're scaled to the character's size. I will double-check with the dev team, but I'm also not sure that we could modify these displays.

Regards,
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service
  • Options
    That's like saying we just said it was a car you were buying, we never said it ran. Seriously, if you are showing an example of something to players which they might want to pay money to get, you need to have it shown accurately and not larger than it is to give them a false impression of what they're going to end up with, It's not complicated. And just showing something to players as an example does indeed infer that is exactly what they will receive. You know full well it doesn't have to be stated explicitly on a sign at its feet "this figure is identical in scale to the one you will receive".
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    "I will double-check with the dev team, but I'm also not sure that we could modify these displays." They have now resized the Minotaur 4 times, one for the boss, one for the companion, one for the display and one for the upcoming vanity pet. I think they know how to resize it to any proportion they choose.
  • Options
    trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User

They have now resized the Minotaur 4 times, one for the boss, one for the companion, one for the display and one for the upcoming vanity pet. I think they know how to resize it to any proportion they choose.

rockster does have a point.
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
  • Options
    gamgzy#8454 gamgzy Member Posts: 15 Arc User

It's misleading. I thought i was getting the big guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The mounts scale to your character, well SOME of them do, but not all, so it's obviously not necessary for function to have it happen as it doesn't happen on all of them and they work fine. I don't even think it should happen with the mounts. At the end of the day you have things on display it's like the equivalent of having a showroom, and the purpose of having things in a showroom is to see what you are possibly getting. As I said earlier, if what you actually get is not exactly what you were promised, it makes you feel deflated and slightly disappointed and let down and we don't want players feeling that. Bigger is often seen as better in this game, so if something is huge and imposing when you stand next to it and you decide you want that thing because of the way it looks (and size/scale does come into it) and then when you get it it's smaller and less imposing, that definitely makes you feel cr@p. Does Cryptic support the players feeling cr@p? I just don't want players constantly disappointed, it's easy to avoid.
  • Options

Yea and you're not even a midget/halfling. You're a full-size person. So by all accounts your mount should be the same size as the showroom version even factoring-in scaling.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,292 Arc User
    edited June 2023

Yea and you're not even a midget/halfling. You're a full-size person. So by all accounts your mount should be the same size as the showroom version even factoring-in scaling.
    I have a dragonborn which is huge (so huge that the 'select character' screen cannot display the whole character) and the size of his Yeth Hound is the same as the above screen shot.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Interesting. This character is normal sized compared to other people, at least average and on the taller side. So no scaling-down involved. Seems this is a policy, to show things bigger than they are.

• Options
    sylk#8605 sylk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    percemer said:

Greetings!

Thanks for your feedback! First of all, I would like to clarify that there is no false advertising as we never said that the companions or mounts which are displayed are fully identical to the companions/mounts that players can summon. It's just a glimpse.

I'm not sure if it also applies to companions, but all mounts will be different since they're scaled to the character's size. I will double-check with the dev team, but I'm also not sure that we could modify these displays.

Regards,

It probably does not fall under "false advertising" but there is definitely an element of inaccuracy involved. I realize you have to do the disclaimer, but I feel that any reasonable person seeing a display of a product in game or real life, is going to expect the product to be consistent with the display.

Another point -- why does it scale with the character size? I mean, that's really not realistic at all. Are there four different breeds of each companion/mount? If it were random, to mimic what you might actually get if this was real life -- after all, one Snow Leopard is not identical to the next Snow Leopard -- then I could see it, but it really shouldn't size to the character if we're trying to be "realistic" and of course, I use that term loosely :D

Thank you for checking into it.
  • Options
    percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    Thanks for your feedback. Here are some updates:

Companions are not scaled. The Minotaur Mercenary being scaled differently is therefore a bug and it wasn't intentional. It's not a question of resizing the companion, but an incorrect version had been selected.

Mounts are scaled, and it's a feature, working as designed. As far as I remember, it's the case since the beginning. The reason is that mounts need to be scaled to fit the character riding them, in order to prevent some clipping issues. There may still be a bug if a wrong version is also selected, but please keep in mind that that there may still be a difference.

Regards,
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service
  • Options
    ksellksell Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    percemer said:

Mounts are scaled, and it's a feature, working as designed. As far as I remember, it's the case since the beginning. The reason is that mounts need to be scaled to fit the character riding them, in order to prevent some clipping issues. There may still be a bug

... and there is; when character is enlarged(dunno other way), POV from mount changes to similiar to "tall rides" as u are looking from above giant shoulders - quite disturbing when u just on horseback

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,292 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    percemer said:

Companions are not scaled. The Minotaur Mercenary being scaled differently is therefore a bug and it wasn't intentional. It's not a question of resizing the companion, but an incorrect version had been selected.

Mounts are scaled, and it's a feature, working as designed. As far as I remember, it's the case since the beginning. The reason is that mounts need to be scaled to fit the character riding them, in order to prevent some clipping issues. There may still be a bug if a wrong version is also selected, but please keep in mind that that there may still be a difference.

Regards,

In this case, based on the screen shot I posted above, Yeth Hound was not scaled (or not scale enough) according to the character size. The dragonborn I made is huge. Yet, the mount is tiny comparing with the 'marketing' version in the market.

What kind of character should I made in order to match the 'marketing' version of the mount?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    percemer said:

Regards,

In the case of the Driderform mount I supplied the screenshot of, I am just about as big as someone normally is, so there is no reason the mount I have should be only 50% of the size of the one on display. In this case, absolutely NO-ONE would be big enough to have a mount the size of that which is shown in the mount display area. It's physically impossible to be that large as a normal avatar because you would need to be literally double the size of everyone else (given that in my image, the mount is 50% smaller than that of the display model) and there is no such thing in the game of double size avatars -other than special effects which do not last such as eye of the giant etc. What I suspect is happening @percemer is that the person who is putting the things there (ie: 'set dressing' PE with the new mounts and companions) is using artistic license and scaling them up to make them fill space better and look more in proportion to the very open surroundings they are placed in. Unfortunately if this is happening, they do not realize that these models are there purely to illustrate to the players what they will get should they get one, and for this reason they need to be accurate. Can you please advise whoever is putting these there that it is not OK to use artistic license with these objects due to the purpose of which they are put there, they need to put the accurate size an average-sized player will receive and not mislead people by making them gigantic and impressive when they go up to them and subsequently disappoint them when they equip it and do not get what they were promised. So many of these mounts are larger in the display models than they are in real life when we get them, this is not an accident. It's being done intentionally.
  • Options
    irene#2829 irene Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    There is no false advertising.

The purpose of the stage is to show different mounts for the player to look at their ratio. If it's a dinosaur it can be 3x bigger than the tiger.

The models are made bigger so that it's more presentable. If it's advertising, they will include a character, example the armor display with a character mannequin. It's cute that they go the extra mile and effort to even design a mannequin for right advertising.
  • Options
    oh..... you'll make a perfect mod. LOL
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 418 Arc User

There is no false advertising.

The purpose of the stage is to show different mounts for the player to look at their ratio. If it's a dinosaur it can be 3x bigger than the tiger.

The models are made bigger so that it's more presentable. If it's advertising, they will include a character, example the armor display with a character mannequin. It's cute that they go the extra mile and effort to even design a mannequin for right advertising.

The drider mount does include a character...

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,116 Arc User
    "Objects in the rearview mirror may appear closer than they are"
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.