test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trash trash everywhere.

Regular treasure chests lying around. There normally aint no treasure (worthy items!) Sometimes we get insignias. So it's either trash or insignias. I can understand not placing high end stuff, but maybe some RNG medium rated items instead of so much junk. Who treasures junk? Put some gold and good stuff in them. Just something better that has a maybe 5-10% chance. Something sellable on the AH that new players could use post 20.

Comments

• Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    I don't think the current Devs get the point of having a treasure chest sitting behind a miniboss and what it's supposed to represent.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    ksellksell Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    it represent a point of spawn
  • Options
    Sadly, yes.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I don't think the current Devs get the point of having a treasure chest sitting behind a miniboss and what it's supposed to represent.

Yep like spending 20 minutes fighting an "adult" dragon and getting a Black Pearl as loot.
  • Options
    You fight the minibosses in Menzo and they're standing in front of the chest I guess protecting it and after they're dead you're thinking why bother and just leave it there unopened. It's so sad.
  • Options
    stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    I agree, please no more "vendor trash" in treasure chests. Personally I feel like the best thing I ever find in them is a green insignia, and that's rather sad.

Let's start a list of things we'd like to see. I'll try to be realistic and not ask for companion / mount upgrade tokens or GoPs or mythic weapons.

Insignia powder - RNG on quantities of maybe 10, 25, 50.
    Tarmalune trade bars - I get that you don't want to hand these out like candy, so maybe a chance at 2, 5, 10.
    Candy? There's an idea, maybe some buff food / drink.

What else?
  • Options
    Insignia powder, upgrade things (like in Dread Ring), Rough AD, very VERY rare chance at mounts and companions.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 407 Arc User
    If we're talking about the chests that the mini bosses defend, then maybe it should have another chance to drop the gear that the mini bosses can drop... after all, if they weren't wearing it when they were defeated, maybe they were keeping it in the chest.

In general, I like the idea of location based variety in the loot table... but not so specific that there is only one way to get a given reward.
  • Options
    redjackal#4019 redjackal Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I was talking about the scattered chests, but it also should most definitely apply to the boss chest. As far as scattered chests, even a very small chance at getting something medium level makes more sense than garbage.
  • Options
    redjackal#4019 redjackal Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Scattered chest. Like this: maybe at least a medium chance for one or two R10 potion (as not to be too much quantity to disrupt crafter sales.) Tiny chance for desired transmutes that are not available anymore. Tiny chance for 1,000 comp gear. Tiny chance for old Juma and UM Exp gear. Tiny chances for items that could help the leveling player and that huge level wall. What do you think?
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Those insignia skill kits I use to love when I first started could use something good in them. In DragonBone Vale they pop with insignias everywhere else its something stupid like that white book worth two shillings. I hope new players are realizing they cost more then what you are going to get most places. All the treasure chests in Mezo have at least potions you can sell when you get a few that Ive opened. It has some nice random jewelry drops there too.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 407 Arc User
    You do get more out than it costs with skill nodes... if they open first time. But sometimes it seems to take half a dozen attempts! A cheap illustration of the sunken cost fallacy... after n failures, do I try again or walk away? Or an introduction to Neverwinter RNG...

The rewards used to better, but they got abused, so they were made less attractive.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    mintmark said:

You do get more out than it costs with skill nodes... if they open first time. But sometimes it seems to take half a dozen attempts! A cheap illustration of the sunken cost fallacy... after n failures, do I try again or walk away? Or an introduction to Neverwinter RNG...

The rewards used to better, but they got abused, so they were made less attractive.

Yes, everybody experienced multiple failure in a row opening skill node. My theory is the RNG number could be cached and be re-used when the system/connection is slow. Similar reason (or theory) people got 2 highest rewards from lockbox in a roll (in the old days anyway) when they opened the lockbox fast.

So, when it failed (say) 2 times, I would just wait, walk around a bit, then try again. 90% of time (in my case) it will work.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    The reason the chests contain junk is the same reason that skill nodes do: they would be botted otherwise. Way back in the day, skill nodes used to drop decent stuff and they were botted like crazy. That's why they drop junk today. And if you think minibosses couldn't be botted to reach their chests (or their gear drops), think again. I've seen what I consider to be strong evidence and reported it. As it stands today, I think the devs need to make some changes to the minibosses to make them harder to bot, because I'm convinced it's happening.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I grab all I can as I go, it all adds up. Gold bars are almost 300k a stack on the AH right now. All that junk people walk by, I'll sell to a vendor and buy gold bars from the same vendor to stack up for sale. No, it's not a game changing prize, but pays off over time.
  • Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User

You fight the minibosses in Menzo and they're standing in front of the chest I guess protecting it and after they're dead you're thinking why bother and just leave it there unopened. It's so sad.

It's sad, and annoying that regardless of the difficulty of the zone/event/dungeon/skirmish when a player opens a skill chest, or a treasure chest wherever they are the contents are always the same or similar.

It doesn’t matter if a player opens a religious chest in Neverdeath or in Menzoberranzan, chances are the reward will be a few coppers, a low level refine value stone possibly a low level insignia or maybe a potion. I should think the contents of skill and treasure chests should improve with the increased difficulty level of the content.

It’s no wonder a great many players just rush right past chests when they’re playing because for the majority it’s usually not worth even slowing down to open those chests. Great for veteran and dedicated players who can afford to spend hours online playing the game but for new players and players who have more real life responsibilities and limited time, they usually feel forced to ignore chests to keep up with the party or open those chests and the rest of the party has to wait for them to catch up.