test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion re: workshop/Stronghold spawning

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
I've only recently started doing professions on more than a couple of alts and I'm up to 8 now and it's becoming a headache that every time I swap to them they're kicked out and standing outside the door. It means I have to wait for the door interaction command to appear, click it and then wait again for the workshop to load and go in. It's very tedious. (This is the same thing which happens with the Stronghold, after you're out of the map for long enough you are put back where you were last.) Wherever you were before you went into the workshop, you go back there if you're out longer than a few minutes which is ultra annoying when you have a character only doing professions and nothing else.

I know this is likely to help the server so an unused instance is closed or something similar, but can I please suggest that when you leave these maps, stronghold and workshop, if you log back in on the character which was in there when you left, it just automatically starts a new instance for you, I mean you're going to click it anyway and open one anyway, why not just have it happen for you when you log onto that character. I'm sure people wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer in loading screen if they just got returned to where they left-off. It's a QoL thing and would make a lot of people happy.
Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,224 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    Well, I am in another side of the coin. I am using Workshop/Stronghold kicking me back to the original place as a feature and has been counting on that.

I mean to jump there to do something for a short time. Go to another character and spend some time. Then, when I go back to the original character, it goes back to the exact place where I was "in progress". Yes, I have VIP. I have been using and counting on this "QoL feature" for years.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    In order for you to be able to return inside either would require them to be persistent. That is a waste of server resources.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    greywynd said:

In order for you to be able to return inside either would require them to be persistent. That is a waste of server resources.

No it wouldn't. All it would need is for the system to remember (like it does for everything else you do like the exact place in PE you are standing and even the direction you're facing when it puts you back there) where you were, and when you log into that character again it loads the workshop for you exactly the same as if you had clicked the icon yourself. Not hard to do and does not involve a persistent instance. It would create a fresh one just the same as it already does when you open the map and click the workshop icon.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Well, I am in another side of the coin. I am using Workshop/Stronghold kicking me back to the original place as a feature and has been counting on that.

I mean to jump there to do something for a short time. Go to another character and spend some time. Then, when I go back to the original character, it goes back to the exact place where I was "in progress". Yes, I have VIP. I have been using and counting on this "QoL feature" for years.

That's just you coping with how things are and making the best of it. I find it a nuisance. I'm often in some random map somewhere doing a daily (Vallenhas for instance) then I go from there to the workshop and the last place I want to be is back there again. I've finished on that character for the day and all I'm going to be doing after that is checking-in the workshop and emptying the box periodically. What I have to do to avoid this happening because I know I'm leaving that character after the workshop task, if I'm going there after being somewhere else (this is on those characters I'm playing) instead of just being able to click the workshop icon, I have to open the map and first go to PE by clicking that so that will be the last place I was before I entered the workshop and I will end up back at the outside of the workshop door and not back in Vallenhas. So I have to make a detour on the way and an extra journey to my trip which is extra and annoying and wastes time. I'm happy for you that you made the best of the situation, but that doesn't mean it's a good situation. You just were able to make it work for you and adjusted to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

That's just you coping with how things are and making the best of it. I find it a nuisance. I'm often in some random map somewhere doing a daily (Vallenhas for instance) then I go from there to the workshop and the last place I want to be is back there again. I've finished on that character for the day and all I'm going to be doing after that is checking-in the workshop and emptying the box periodically. What I have to do to avoid this happening because I know I'm leaving that character after the workshop task, if I'm going there after being somewhere else (this is on those characters I'm playing) instead of just being able to click the workshop icon, I have to open the map and first go to PE by clicking that so that will be the last place I was before I entered the workshop and I will end up back at the outside of the workshop door and not back in Vallenhas. So I have to make a detour on the way and an extra journey to my trip which is extra and annoying and wastes time. I'm happy for you that you made the best of the situation, but that doesn't mean it's a good situation. You just were able to make it work for you and adjusted to it.
    I just go to Workshop directly with 2 steps:
    1. bring up sigpost
    2. go to workshop

For you, you will think I cope with it. For me, I depend on it.

For example, I can be deep in Dragonbone Vale waiting for dragon (not anymore, of course). Then, the alliance called for Dragonflight event. I teleport to the designated stronghold, finish the dragonflight. Switch character, do something else. Back to the first character. I will be at the exact location in Dragonbone Vale without a long travel to there.

For workshop, it is also my designated RNG location to open box to have decent RNG. For others, it is a myth. For me, I get my 'luck' consistently. Yesterday, I opened 250 Coffer of Calestial Artifacts in Workshop and got 9 c-motes.
    In the weekend, I was cashing out juma bags (which does not stack) for all my characters. Each character have enough fund to buy from 90 to 180 juma bags. So, I bought juma bags. When the inventory is filled up. Jump to workshop. Open bags. Re-arrange inventory to other characters. When that was done, the character was in front of juma again so that the character can continue to buy more juma bags.

You cope with it by doing it after you finished an area.
    I go to workshop whenever I feel like it. I don't have your situation to deal with. "Back to where I was" is the "feature" I depend on.

PE instance is shared. Hence, it usually loads the already created one in the server.
    Workshop instance is private (the main reason I choose it to do my RNG stuff). Hence, it needs to create each time in the server unless it happens to have someone else left the workshop and it was not swapped out.

I re-read what you wrote and it seems you have VIP.
    If yes, are you saying you park your character in PE? For me, it is the worst place to park any character because of its slow loading time. My characters usually park in Moonstone Mask. Again, I can go there in 2 steps (1 step if one maps a key). So, after going to the workshop and I think the character should not be back to where it used to be, I will just send it to Moonstone Mask with 2 steps.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    I don't understand why you are defending it so stridently. Every location in the game you are put back where you left off except these two. It should be automatic that you return to where you were last when you left the character, no matter where it is and its entirely doable. Once again, I'm happy for you that it's working for you, but it's not working well for everyone.
  • Options

.................................................................................................................................

I just go to Workshop directly with 2 steps:
    1. bring up sigpost
    2. go to workshop

It should be NO steps.

...................................................................................................................................

For you, you will think I cope with it. For me, I depend on it.

For example, I can be deep in Dragonbone Vale waiting for dragon (not anymore, of course). Then, the alliance called for Dragonflight event. I teleport to the designated stronghold, finish the dragonflight. Switch character, do something else. Back to the first character. I will be at the exact location in Dragonbone Vale without a long travel to there.

For workshop, it is also my designated RNG location to open box to have decent RNG. For others, it is a myth. For me, I get my 'luck' consistently. Yesterday, I opened 250 Coffer of Calestial Artifacts in Workshop and got 9 c-motes.
    In the weekend, I was cashing out juma bags (which does not stack) for all my characters. Each character have enough fund to buy from 90 to 180 juma bags. So, I bought juma bags. When the inventory is filled up. Jump to workshop. Open bags. Re-arrange inventory to other characters. When that was done, the character was in front of juma again so that the character can continue to buy more juma bags.

You cope with it by doing it after you finished an area.
    I go to workshop whenever I feel like it. I don't have your situation to deal with. "Back to where I was" is the "feature" I depend on.

PE instance is shared. Hence, it usually loads the already created one in the server.
    Workshop instance is private (the main reason I choose it to do my RNG stuff). Hence, it needs to create each time in the server unless it happens to have someone else left the workshop and it was not swapped out.

.......................................................................................................................................................

I re-read what you wrote and it seems you have VIP.
    If yes, are you saying you park your character in PE? For me, it is the worst place to park any character because of its slow loading time.

We can park where we like. Don't be ridiculous. And it's not a slow loading time, what is slow is having to keep clicking and moving extra steps through extra loading times when you should just go straight back where you were with no effort at all. Just stop already.

...............................................................................................................................................................

My characters usually park in Moonstone Mask. Again, I can go there in 2 steps (1 step if one maps a key). So, after going to the workshop and I think the character should not be back to where it used to be, I will just send it to Moonstone Mask with 2 steps.
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    I guess I can see where that might be annoying to some people, but it seems like there are more important bugs to work on first Rockster-like the way I freeze in Demagorgon or something. What you are talking about is what 20 seconds at the most? Transporting around really works pretty fast. Loggin on can be a pain, sometimes I have to close Neverwinter or cryptic twice before it cooperates.
  • Options
    > @rockster#6227 said:
    > I don't understand why you are defending it so stridently. Every location in the game you are put back where you left off except these two. It should be automatic that you return to where you were last when you left the character, no matter where it is and its entirely doable. Once again, I'm happy for you that it's working for you, but it's not working well for everyone.

Used to be, unless we left the instance, for a week or so after Winterfest, you could hang out and fish in peace. That situation may have an impact on why things work as they do.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

We can park where we like. Don't be ridiculous. And it's not a slow loading time, what is slow is having to keep clicking and moving extra steps through extra loading times when you should just go straight back where you were with no effort at all. Just stop already.

May be we are different in the loading time. Loading PE is absolutely horrible to me. Significantly longer than other area. No, that is not ridiculous to me. It is very very horrible. I avoid going to PE unless I have to.

Just for the heck of it, I have just tried this.

Loading Moonstone mask: 11 seconds.
    Loading PE: 38 seconds.
    Loading Workshop: 9 seconds.
    Loading Dragonbone Vale: 39 seconds.
    Loading Northdark Reaches: 11 seconds.

2nd time loading Moonstone mask: 2 seconds.
    2nd time loading PE: 26 seconds
  • Options
    Oh my word, what's wrong with your connection. That's awful. I don't have that issue myself. They all load more or less the same as each other and PE is one of the faster ones. The reason I always park there is because I want to read what people are saying in PE zone chat which is always the busiest/main chat channel and has the most conversation and keeps me up on any issues the community in general is concerned about or interested in, and you just don't get this experience in any other location in the game.

Listen, this issue doesn't affect people as much after they get the sending stone if they only do professions part time, but up until then it's a nightmare and for people who prefer to park a professions-ONLY character at the workshop permanently (so for those who do not play the game on some characters and only use them for professions), it's always going to be an issue for them. And for those particular people (of which there are many), the only place they will conceivably be parking their character IS at the workshop.

At the moment I have two characters who have done the sending stone quest and can pick up professions remotely, for them it's not an issue as long as I'm doing other things on them, one more will be doing that quest shortly, those are the three characters I play content seriously on, but for the other 5 characters they only will be doing professions and not playing anything (and I may make more of them purely for professions in future) so permanently parked inside the workshop, well at the moment outside it. This is important so take note: When I log into them to empty the box and am standing facing the door to the workshop as my spawn-in point, 98% of the time, no exaggeration, there are other people also standing facing the doorway next to me coming and going. This means that they also have this issue where they have parked at the workshop and have spawned back outside it and then need to click a second time to go back in. This affects loads of people. Every time I went past there before or went to go in there was always many people on the steps and I never really thought about it, but now I'm bothered by this issue and focused on it myself, I realize how many there are of them coming and going on the steps who also have to waste their time clicking through a second loading screen to get back in.

There are many many people who have professions-only toons and they want to park them at the workshop because that's the only thing they ever use them for. I'm sure they would appreciate greatly the chance to actually return inside where they left off without the extra step each and every single time of having to wait up to 6 seconds for the door command to show up, then click it and go into another second loading screen which takes even more time to finally start doing what they should have been able to be doing immediately. And I understand now that when you're rotating constantly through 8 characters to empty boxes and go in there and do other things as well it's already bad enough and takes forever to get through them all this way, but some people who focus mainly on professions have many many more toons doing this than I do (20, 30? no idea) and for them it must really grind their gears and take so much extra time out of their day for nothing.

And this is not even addressing the stronghold map too as I stated in the title and is being ignored here, it would be so nice if you could just return after a dungeon to where you had been before at your strongohld. I've brought this up before in the past. You have to understand that this issue affecting both of these maps/locations actually provides a disincentive to spend any time there. They put a lot of work into the design and ambience and some people might like to use them as a base-location from which to jump to other content and back again during their day (I know that the stronghold was originally designed as a kind of version of player housing, a place to call your own and spend time in), but in the current state it just keeps kicking you out and makes you feel you need to be somewhere else and this would address that issue, besides being more convenient for those who need to stay there (workshop) and have to keep clicking through extra loading screens to be back there again over and over again.

It doesn't mean the instance/map has to be persistent, it only means that the system remembers where you were when you left and when you log back into that character instead of you having to manually click to go back in (opening an instance anyway) it does it for you automatically. There's no difference other than the system does it for you during loading and saves you a step. The whole thing of being shoved back to another place other than where you were last is unpleasant when you don't want to be there anymore, especially if you traveled there using a VIP travel gate and left from a dangerous place full of mobs you just killed which always respawn back when you return and you're forced to kill them all over again before continuing.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2023

Loading Moonstone mask: 11 seconds.
    Loading PE: 38 seconds.
    Loading Workshop: 9 seconds.
    Loading Dragonbone Vale: 39 seconds.
    Loading Northdark Reaches: 11 seconds.

2nd time loading Moonstone mask: 2 seconds.
    2nd time loading PE: 26 seconds

Interesting. Can you test/compare the driftwood tavern ? I feel like it is the quickest to load.

Personnally, I have 3 "spawning points" (and kind of disconnecting points too).
    - PE (even though it's the slowest to load) in front of Sybella for my mains and alts who I use to farm legacy quests (just to not bother climbing the stairs on monday, I usually only clean sybella's legacy quest on toons who have both the adventures and conquests of at least 3 or 4 areas, so alts only move from here once every 7-8 weeks or so) : 18 toons
    - Moonstone mask for mules with a workshop (just to separate them from the others) : 16 toons
    - Driftwood tavern for pure mules who just invoke and store stuff : all the others (I think that's 13 toons)

Like you, when I was playing more intensively, I was using the "kick back to last position before entering stronghold/workshop" feature to shave some travelling time.
    Exemple : For stronghold, I profit from the instance persisting a minute or two once someone has opened it to do influence in batches. It was kind of a sunday after lunch activity : I take toons four by four, drop whatever they have in the mimic, then put one at each fast easy influence encounters beasts/devils/drakes/spiders, and just change character according to which encounter is spawned after the first rotation, so I can quickly get a 4 toons batch of 3 influence encounters done without riding around the map.
    They will be back in front of Sybella automatically on monday when I log each of them and I will give the influ to the mimic at the begining of my next influ run.

I would very much dislike having to climb back to Sybella with my "legacy quests"/influ farmers (who all have a workshop rank 3 at least) each time I travel sign from the Sybella spot to the workshop/stronghold.

But i'm not against an option to log in (and create new instance if it is not already existing) inside the SH or Workshop, at the condition you can toggle it off to keep how it behaves today ^^. No need to fight or argue if it's an option, everyone can have what he wants ;).

edit : a lot of typos. my fingers seem drunk today
    Post edited by tchefi#6735 on
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    I have two things to say:
    a) Relying on the SH map to kick you requires a dead guild. The map must be shut down due to absence of players to pull it off.
    b) Not logging back to the workshop would be fine if all workshop features are available by the remote access. That is not the case: if you intend to gather various resources or hire artisans, you must "park" there. Which forces double load-up. (first the previous instance, then the workshop - instead of just the workshop) Let alone if you do not have the VIP...
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    rikitaki said:

a) Relying on the SH map to kick you requires a dead guild. The map must be shut down due to absence of players to pull it off.

There is a difference between stronghold map being shut down because of a dead guild and being shut down due to absence of players inside the stronghold.
    My guild is level 20, with 40-60 daily active players and around the same amount connecting at least once or twice a week. 90% of the time I disconnect in the Stronghold, when I connect back i'm kick out to my last position before entering the Stronghold. There is too little to do in the Stronghold once everything is built, appart for the occasionnal dragon flight, gathering events we organize or influ runs for consummables/craft maps, and for the most part we do that in the stronghold of other guilds in the alliance (to give a little help on their mimic for those who aren't level 20 yet).
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @tchefi OK, for the sake of accurate wording: It requires nobody using the guild stronghold map when you log in. (but I really do not feel it was that incomprehensible in the context :D )

Because if anyone is on the SH when you try to log in, it will put you on the map - regardless if the map was shut down in the meantime. It kiks you out only if the map is closed at that exact moment. I do not argue how entertaining SH is or whatever, just that you can RELY on the kick only if the guild SH traffic is dead.
    Post edited by rikitaki on
  • Options
    A "dead guild" is one that has no active players, while their roster may include active accounts keeping the stronghold on life support.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    An inactive/"abundant" SH is common for various reasons.
    1. not enough active player in the guild.
    2. No need to go to SH at all if the SH is fully upgraded.

Yes, if for some reason there is player in the SH (including player from the alliance to say visiting your full upgraded shops) and you happen to login at that moment, you will not be bounced out of SH.
  • Options
    greywynd said:

A "dead guild" is one that has no active players, while their roster may include active accounts keeping the stronghold on life support.

...which would probably mean there will not be active players on the SH map. Are we finally on the same page?
  • Options
    > @rikitaki said:
    > ...which would probably mean there will not be active players on the SH map. Are we finally on the same page?

Are we even in the same book?
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

I don't understand why you are defending it so stridently. Every location in the game you are put back where you left off except these two. It should be automatic that you return to where you were last when you left the character, no matter where it is and its entirely doable. Once again, I'm happy for you that it's working for you, but it's not working well for everyone.

NOT! EVERY! LOCATION! Workshop and Stronghold only exist when you go there. When you leave the Workshop it disappears, When you leave the Stronghold it persists for a short time and then disappears. Putting the Workshop in the Stronghold is not possible at this time and may never be possible.

Sronghold and Workshop are only accessible if you are eligible to go there. Cast the 'Wish' spell and see if it comes true. There is no 'Wish ' spell in Neverwinter. Until there is. . .
  • Options
    I don't understand what you are disagreeing with in my comment. I'm saying what SHOULD happen with these two places, to make them in line with the experience every other location provides players. As far as Workshop goes, it stays there for a while after u leave, you can log out in a character and go into another one but if u go back soon enough to the first one, u will go straight back into the workshop again. I know this because I am currently rotating 9 characters on professions, 7 of which have to go in there physically to do things, and if I go back to one after leaving and it's not that long after, like a couple of minutes, they return to the inside and not outside the door. So it persists, at least for a while.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

I don't understand what you are disagreeing with in my comment. I'm saying what SHOULD happen with these two places, to make them in line with the experience every other location provides players. As far as Workshop goes, it stays there for a while after u leave, you can log out in a character and go into another one but if u go back soon enough to the first one, u will go straight back into the workshop again. I know this because I am currently rotating 9 characters on professions, 7 of which have to go in there physically to do things, and if I go back to one after leaving and it's not that long after, like a couple of minutes, they return to the inside and not outside the door. So it persists, at least for a while.

'Should happen' requires a Wish to make it so,
  • Options
    fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User

greywynd said:

No it wouldn't. All it would need is for the system to remember (like it does for everything else you do like the exact place in PE you are standing and even the direction you're facing when it puts you back there) where you were, and when you log into that character again it loads the workshop for you exactly the same as if you had clicked the icon yourself. Not hard to do and does not involve a persistent instance. It would create a fresh one just the same as it already does when you open the map and click the workshop icon.
    Yeah you could easily work around instances using up resources but still being able to log in where you left off. I understand it's not possible with quest instances because the server would need to remember quest and critter state, but an instance like SH or the Workshop shouldn't be an issue at all because there's no state to safe, just the last map (which the server already does, it shows on the character select screen). It's something that annoys me frequently as well. I'd love to make SH and Workshops my permanent HUBs.
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Maybe. But the problem is, even if the stronghold instance is NOT removed (because a guild mate is still there) you are kicked out of it when you switch between your chars. Reproduceable.
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User

Yes, if for some reason there is player in the SH (including player from the alliance to say visiting your full upgraded shops) and you happen to login at that moment, you will not be bounced out of SH.

Doesn't happen for me. I am still kicked out of the map then.
  • Options
    fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User

Weird. If I go through alts and pick up quests in the Stronghold, I'm usually able to relog into the SH as long as I keep the instance "active" (revisit every two minutes or so).
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Weird. If I go through alts and pick up quests in the Stronghold, I'm usually able to relog into the SH as long as I keep the instance "active" (revisit every two minutes or so).
    Same here. Typically, I use different toon (based on the color of dragon the toon picks up) to kill different dragon in Dragonflight event. Our alliance kills only one dragon per call, usually, 4 calls: red -> blue -> black -> green. So, after my 1st toon killed the red dragon, I picked up the reward (without processing it). Switch to another toon, kill blue, pick up reward, switch toon, ......

After 4 dragons were done, I went through each participated characters and dumped stuff to coffers. They all could go back to that SH instance directly when I switched characters.
  • Options
    trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    It would be great to be able to log back into the game:

- Directly into the workshop (would need changes to the game to be able to happen)
    - Where the character was last at (currently works this way).

[Some type of toggle would be able to satisfy both preferences]

The workshop is probably the smallest instance in the game and being able to log into it directly would take little to no time which can mean more time doing and less time loading.

if you log back in on the character which was in there when you left, it just automatically starts a new instance for you

This is the key part that doesn't require instances to be persistent, just loaded on demand if it doesn't already exist when a character is logging in.

Loading times are part of the bane of utilizing multiple characters. Sure if you log onto a character once a day it's not as bad though especially is when doing something like workshops on multiple characters by wanting to help maximize their efficiency, so visiting a character multiple times during a session means multiple loading screens. A full delivery box with no active tasks isn't doing any work and provides no benefit so continuously emptying it will help keep work/progress constantly being done. Every second in a loading screen is time that could have been spent navigating menus, moving items, selecting tasks, etc.
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen