test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Explain Neverwinter Stats math please?

athurrpewtyathurrpewty Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited November 2022 in General Discussion (PC)
Why do my defense and power have completely different totals even though the Ratings are within 2,000 Rating points of each other? And for that matter why is CA, CSt, and CSe uncorrelated as well?

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    Move your mouse to the 'power' (or defense). You will see two numbers, one is 'rating contribution' (from number) and one is 'other contribution' (from percentage). The 'total' is based on that 2 numbers.

e.g.

Rating contribution is from 'number' such as:

3500 is the 'number'.

Other contribution is from 'percentage' such as:

5% is the 'percentage'.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Still doesn't explain why 76 = 77% and 74 = 43% Jeeze, why isn't it more=better instead of better = more+other contributions? I mean, what are other contributions? The √(of a cat)?
  • Options

Jeeze, why isn't it more=better instead of better = more/√(a cat)?

More is not better in this case. More actually is either wasted or worse (in scaled content).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Still doesn't explain why 76 = 77% and 74 = 43% Jeeze, why isn't it more=better instead of better = more/√(a cat)?

Use mine as example.

My total item level is 70658. Power is 60115.
    The difference is ~10500.
    Hence, 50% - (10500/1000) = 39.5% (the first number).
    The 2nd number (35.7%) is from somewhere else (the 'percentage' thing I explained above).
    The total of power = 39.5% + 35.7% = 75.1%.

Your 76K != 77%. Your 76K at most contributes 50%. 27+% of your power is from 'other contribution'.
    Your defense most likely does not have much 'other contribution'.
    It would be clear if you move your mouse to power and make a screen shot.
    Also, what is your item level?

Since your combat advantage is green number, I assume your item level is around 83K.
    Your defense is 74k. The difference is 9k.
    Hence, I estimate your defense's rating contribution is 50% - (9k /1000) = 41%.
    Your other contribution probably give you 2.4%. Hence, defense total is 43.4%.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I kind of grok it. It's a matter of boosting companions and mounts to add to the equipment mix. I think. TIL is 81549.
  • Options

I kind of grok it. It's a matter of boosting companions and mounts to add to the equipment mix. I think. TIL is 81549.

Defense:
    81549 (item level) - 74445 (defense) = 7104.

50% - 7.1% = 42.9%

So, your defense probably has 0.5% from other contribution to make it to 43.4%.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Guess my final question is: Why grind or farm or *pay* for gear if there is x-y/.25 math that cripples the overall effectiveness of whatever you own? I'm now back to not understanding what to equip to actually have a viable character.
  • Options

Guess my final question is: Why grind or farm or *pay* for gear if there is x-y/.25 math that cripples the overall effectiveness of whatever you own? I'm now back to not understanding what to equip to actually have a viable character.

Because you want higher item level which means more damage and more health point but with a mind set how to balance it out properly. The higher item level you have, the higher 'prefer' stat rating you need. The red and green numbers in your stat are telling you you are wasting stat. You either bring up item level or relocate stat to somewhere else.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Orange means some is not being used because the IL will not allow it (Il cap for that stat has been exceeded), Green is saying you are in the ballpark and getting close to orange.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    I preferred the old days when power etc had no cap and you could just go as high as you could manage. Made more sense to me.
  • Options
    fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User

You'll still get the benefit of bigger base damage / healing and more hit points (at least in unscaled content). The devs implemented this to combat the power creep. Higher item levels always come with re-balancing your stats now and sometimes, for scaled content, it's even better to artificially lower your item level to be able to max out percentages. It's not an ideal approach because as you mentioned correctly it can make progression feel less rewarding, but it's the way the game works right now.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

You'll still get the benefit of bigger base damage / healing and more hit points (at least in unscaled content). The devs implemented this to combat the power creep. Higher item levels always come with re-balancing your stats now and sometimes, for scaled content, it's even better to artificially lower your item level to be able to max out percentages. It's not an ideal approach because as you mentioned correctly it can make progression feel less rewarding, but it's the way the game works right now.
    They say this yet they continue to introduce new things with higher and higher item levels or magnitudes which create powercreep. They also remove things and everyone has to mourn the loss and re-adjust, then later they reintroduce it back into the game in sneaky ways. So why even take it out in the first place? They took out movement, now it's back, they took out lifesteal, now it's back here and there in other forms, they took damage off our weapons, now it's back with the new mod. I just wish if they take us down a particular path, they actually know what they are doing and not treat us and the game like some kind of experiment, and just get it right the first time and leave it that way.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited November 2022

Still doesn't explain why 76 = 77% and 74 = 43% Jeeze, why isn't it more=better instead of better = more+other contributions? I mean, what are other contributions? The √(of a cat)?

Mostly from Companion bonus you've slotted on the Companion (Tab) in fact. :)

Also Attribute scores like STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA also can influence those things as well.

Most should always check the Attributes and which companions are slotted on Each Loadout, to ensure they most effective for each Class / Loadout you playing! It's also very easy to know which goes towards base contribution, &/or other contribution in each area--as base is a value like 1,000; 2,000, 4,000, etc...

While Other contributions are always listed as a % be it on Gear, Companions, or anywhere else; this includes Attributes as well.
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    I dont know if this will help and before I forget your stats look good to me, but so many things make a difference. I never really noticed until recently but the enchantments you buy and where you put them, and also the insignias for your mounts, if you play dps you want the insignias that give you combat advantage, critical strike and power. I am still replacing mine with the right ones and it takes a long time to get the powder to refine them. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    Just to clarify--insignias almost always list a number, not a percentage, so they would add to the Ratings Contribution. So if you slot all mythic dominance insignias, you could be over on your power Ratings Contribution, but still be less than 90% total. The same is true of armor kits like the Power Kit. Those are also just a number, not a percentage. They could do the same thing.

Is that right?

• Options
    aslan3775 said:

Just to clarify--insignias almost always list a number, not a percentage, so they would add to the Ratings Contribution. So if you slot all mythic dominance insignias, you could be over on your power Ratings Contribution, but still be less than 90% total. The same is true of armor kits like the Power Kit. Those are also just a number, not a percentage. They could do the same thing.

Is that right?

Yes.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 407 Arc User
    It means that, if you want to accommodate more power rating, you'd have to first find some other gear that raises your item level without giving more power (but note that anything with combined rating will give power... but it will give less power than item level). That will create some more room for other gear that gives more power than item level.

It can be a real challenge to balance things... at the moment I get critical severity percentage from my DEX, but if I want to increase critical strike chance to a similar percentage I have to add to the rating and it's pushing right up to my item level limit so I have to be careful not to overflow. I've got bags of old gear (for me and my companion) just in case I need to rebalance things again!
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    mintmark said:

It means that, if you want to accommodate more power rating, you'd have to first find some other gear that raises your item level without giving more power (but note that anything with combined rating will give power... but it will give less power than item level). That will create some more room for other gear that gives more power than item level.

It can be a real challenge to balance things... at the moment I get critical severity percentage from my DEX, but if I want to increase critical strike chance to a similar percentage I have to add to the rating and it's pushing right up to my item level limit so I have to be careful not to overflow. I've got bags of old gear (for me and my companion) just in case I need to rebalance things again!

Forcing players to have to have a higher math degree is inherently bad design. The older system was better. You got better gear, you got better.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    greywynd said:

mintmark said:

Forcing players to have to have a higher math degree is inherently bad design. The older system was better. You got better gear, you got better.
    Amen to that.

Tbh Im getting a bit bored of the new equipment which seems inherently hard to balance up your stats, the grind to get it and the constant worry about what I should be doing/chasing. [Well worry isn't the right word but you know what I mean]

My toons are still using stuff from over 2 years ago which *seems* better to me than a LOT of the newer stuff.

bah. Thsi game was confusing and difficult to work out the math, now its an insane maths/spreadsheet fest.