test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The eladrin companion's AI is super annoying

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
It's impossible to set up so that you have combat advantage with an enemy. Every time I move so that my companion is behind an enemy, she moves so that she's to his side. I mean, for crying out loud ... what's the point of a combat advantage stat if my companion is bound and determined to never allow combat advantage?
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I keep thinking the same thing in dragon hunts, damned DPS is standing right next to my tank.
    Oh, companions... yeah them too.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,098 Arc User
    That's all companions.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Eladrin and Phase Spider are the two worst I've found for it but all of them do that. Strange how the Combat Changes last year made the mobs very determined to get CA but didn't do that for companions.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,233 Arc User
    Does Bing Dog still do what it supposed to do? Does it still available?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    You can use Redeemed Celestial. A bit expensive, but it grants combat advantage with 1 of its main skills.
    (not sure if this is the goal)
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Blink Dog, Psuedodragon, Swashbuckler, Dancing Sword and others all grant CA from one attack. Black Death Scorpion is supposed to be 100% uptime but I haven't tested it.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    My Black Ice Prospector seems to be able stay in the other side. Or, this companion just too lazy to move.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I don't know how a regular fighter/tank companion can teleport around the stupid battlefield giving up CA right before I use an encounter power, but it seems that almost all of the companions that I have tried do just that--almost like a blink dog, except without the CA benefit. My Black Ice prospector didn't work for me--so I switched it out for the black death scorpion--but I thought the scorp needed to attack to provide the CA--once it attacks it is 100%. I have been wrong before (frequently), so maybe I should try the scorp again. I just remember that the stupid thing just sat outside of the battle watching me swing my mace and waited until the mob dropped from laughter before it would attack.

I like the psuedodragon and the owl--not necessarily the best, but they seem to go off on their own and I don't expect much from them. I also like the mystagogue and the cheaper (but full of himself) Wayward Wizard--although both of them actually do teleport to the wrong spot, so I don't expect CA from either of them. But I don't expect a standard fighter to be teleporting around the battle. That's just annoying.

Is it the jagged dancing sword or the regular dancing sword that provides CA?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    aslan3775 said:

I don't know how a regular fighter/tank companion can teleport around the stupid battlefield giving up CA right before I use an encounter power, but it seems that almost all of the companions that I have tried do just that--almost like a blink dog, except without the CA benefit. My Black Ice prospector didn't work for me--so I switched it out for the black death scorpion--but I thought the scorp needed to attack to provide the CA--once it attacks it is 100%. I have been wrong before (frequently), so maybe I should try the scorp again. I just remember that the stupid thing just sat outside of the battle watching me swing my mace and waited until the mob dropped from laughter before it would attack.

I like the psuedodragon and the owl--not necessarily the best, but they seem to go off on their own and I don't expect much from them. I also like the mystagogue and the cheaper (but full of himself) Wayward Wizard--although both of them actually do teleport to the wrong spot, so I don't expect CA from either of them. But I don't expect a standard fighter to be teleporting around the battle. That's just annoying.

Is it the jagged dancing sword or the regular dancing sword that provides CA?

Do you mean you are looking for a companion that gives 100% CA situation (make the whole circle purple)?
  • Options
    aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I believe that once the companions listed below attack, they inject their poison/stun the target. From that point for a certain amount of time, your toon has 100% CA chance on that target--it should show a full ring around the mob. (but I can't remember if it does or not)

Black Death Scorpion attack: Too Many Legs--(description) "Enemies hit are struck with fear, giving the B.D. Scorp and allies combat advantage.
    Blink Dog: Lightning Claws--(desc.) "Blink Strike deals 40% more damage and grants CA over the target"
    Psuedodragon: Rampant Venom--(desc.-paraphrased) Poison spreads to brain and grants CA and increased damage for Psuedodragon
    Swashbuckler: two attacks apparently grant CA Devastating Impact and Slash. Similar description for each attack.
    Dancing Blade (not jagged dancing blade) also grants CA with it's True strike attack.
    Panther: Pounce (desc) . . .deals damage and causes it to grant combat advantage for a short time" None of the other descriptions list a duration.
    Redeemed Fallen also apparently grants CA with its Slash attack.

Each of these attacks, other than the swashbuckler, are only one of the two attacks from the companion, and it may not use that attack right away.
    I don't use the blink dog, but i have used the psuedodragon and BD Scorp and I am pretty certain that after it's attack, you see a full circle indicating CA all the way around the mob. But now I question whether that is true. I didn't know the swashbuckler had that effect.