test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game-Breaking: Castle Ravenloft Missing Sunsword

deadmano#4272 deadmano Member Posts: 73 Arc User
While normally CR can be a breeze to run through and taking an L at the end is not as impactful, with today's Reaper's Challenge combo of No Revive, Mount Powers, or Artifacts, it made it a slog-fest especially with some struggling to handle the first boss mechanics. After quite a few team shuffles, and 3 hours later, we made it to the end, only to be greeted to the missing sunsword bug after we decided to wipe when one DPS died.

I am not exactly sure what caused this bug, and perhaps others can share their thoughts, but I can share the steps before that moment.

1) A DPS died so we decided to wipe the run and start again.
2) There was still a DPS in the land down under (captured mechanic).
3) There was still a tank alive on the top surface in the arena.
4) The sunsword went from being cursed to cleansed in that moment.
5) As we all returned to the campfire, the sunsword remained instead of teleporting to the campfire.

I am not sure if this was caused due to manually releasing (Defeat Me) instead of being killed by a mechanic/boss damage, which could result in the game thinking someone is still alive and thus not returning the sword?

I do suggest that CR be removed from queues until this gets resolved, as it is extremely frustrating to get to the end, only to not complete. And as a "fix", if there could be an interactable object we can get a new Sunsword from (removing all other instances of them), I feel it would resolve this issue altogether as a manual "reset" approach. Or even better yet; interacting with the door performs a check to see if the Sunsword is even with the players and is not in the arena itself or somewhere out of bounds.

Comments

• Options
    mysticbricksmysticbricks Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    My POV of the events:
    I defeated myself to reset and was still pulled to the bottom after returning briefly to the campfire. Watch this clip, toon in question is Firrel, notice the release then at 14s the toon is at the campfire then gets pulled back into the boss room to under the floor.

I think once you have been marked for teleport to the bottom, then die (or h>defeat me in this case) you get teleported back in regardless?

Mainly because of this;

While normally CR can be a breeze to run through and taking an L at the end is not as impactful, with today's Reaper's Challenge combo of No Revive, Mount Powers, or Artifacts, it made it a slog-fest especially with some struggling to handle the first boss mechanics.

I was dissapointed a fun and challenging run had to end because of a bug.

• Options
    ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    My POV, from atop the chandelier:
    The stained glass windows looked great, alas, I was unable to locate Ireenas head (as per previous bug report), perhaps Strahd has some sort of refridgeration unit outside of the castle walls, which we were unable to penerate.

Back to the topic at hand, whilst I can offer nothing that's already been stated, it's painful to watch a streamer endure a near 4 hour CR run only for it to end with Strahd nonchalantly fondling himself beyond his transparent safety whilst everyones running around looking for the other sword.
  • Options
    lassor#2420 lassor Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 76 Cryptic Developer
    We would not shut down a queue because of an edge case issue, as frustrating as it may be to encounter. If it's more prevalent than this post is suggesting then we would consider such an action.

That being said, I'm going to try to figure out what happened and prevent it from occurring again. Thanks for the information here, it gives me some leads to look into. It sounds like you were streaming when this occurred, do you happen to have the video available so I can take a look?

If anyone else has additional information from when this has happened to them or has any video available that would be great! Try to be as detailed as possible with your descriptions as it's likely a very specific scenario that is causing this to happen.
  • Options
    erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    It happened to me some time ago.

We had standard party: 3 dps, tank, healer. Everything went well until the part where Strahd pulled party to the center. Person using the sword used the daily too quickly causing the wipe BUT someone from the party had Soulforged enchant (forgot the name, the one that revives). It caused everyone but that one person to be dead, it RESET the whole fight with just the resurrected person in the arena (cutscene played as usual). The person then used "H-defeat me" and it did reset the fight again (not started the new one) and the sword was nowhere to be found.

Not sure if it helps, I hope it does.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    We had the issue long ago when the module launched except the person holding the sword got disconnected. We wiped, the missing person logged back in and the sword was nowhere to be found.

IMO add something that allows the party to just summon the sword at the campfire after a wipe. Using it would remove any other instance of the sword which is active
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    aurumreclusa#1147 aurumreclusa Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    That sounds like a good idea, like the summon the car in Avernus, you could use the hilt in inventory as summoner object.
  • Options
    deadmano#4272 deadmano Member Posts: 73 Arc User

We would not shut down a queue because of an edge case issue, as frustrating as it may be to encounter. If it's more prevalent than this post is suggesting then we would consider such an action.

That being said, I'm going to try to figure out what happened and prevent it from occurring again. Thanks for the information here, it gives me some leads to look into. It sounds like you were streaming when this occurred, do you happen to have the video available so I can take a look?

If anyone else has additional information from when this has happened to them or has any video available that would be great! Try to be as detailed as possible with your descriptions as it's likely a very specific scenario that is causing this to happen.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I should check the forums more frequently @Lassor! The video is available here. Timestamp from where it all starts is 3 hours, 3 minutes and 20 seconds (3:03:20).