test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Empowered Draconic Aura DoT unfairly hurts some classes more than others.

oracle#9179 oracle Member Posts: 64 Arc User
edited February 2022 in General Discussion (PC)
The Empowered Draconic Aura DoT in Crown of Keldegonn never crits and cannot be deflected. I imagine this is to reduce the number of potential procs people can use/abuse to their benefit, and ensure that players are incentivized to resolve the mechanic as quickly as possible due to the healer pressure.

However, this approach neglects to consider class forte in overall fairness.
HR, DC: cannot mitigate the damage with their class forte stat, deflect, because the damage cannot be deflected.
GF, CW: cannot mitigate the damage with their class forte stat, critical avoidance, because the damage cannot crit.
OP, TR, Bard: cannot mitigate the damage with their class forte stat, deflect severity, because the damage cannot be deflected.
SW, GWF: can mitigate the damage significantly because their class forte happens to give awareness, which *can* mitigate the damage since the damage is dealt with combat advantage.

Edit: this isn't really a request to fix, there are far more important things to focus on. Just food for thought on class balance and forte.
Post edited by oracle#9179 on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Unavoidable Mechanic
    Encounter

Cast: 0.1s Cooldown 90s
    Deal significant damage over time to all players. Deals bonus damage to classes other than warlock and barbarian. Cannot be dodged.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    Have you though that when you notice this draconinc aura, you have to get out of danger area, not just sit and eat hits. It hit, it hit hard, but not oneshoting, it gives suficient time you to escape and move in safe place.. Here is other thing, when you got in such situation with this mechanic, use HP potion, and get out of danger area.

Other thing, you try imply that warlocks have high awareness due it's Forte. Now question, do you think warlocks have more awarness than tanks? What kind of tank would be if he have less awareness than warlock, a dps/heal class?

I would like to know, how you find this disbalance in first place? I mean, how you tested it. Show us data..
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options

when you got in such situation with this mechanic, use HP potion, and get out of danger area.

Incorrect. Empowered Draconic Aura is the DoT that takes place when the Thayan Supports are active. They empower the dragon, which in turn emits the aura, which affects everyone everywhere. There is no safe place to retreat to. One must resolve the mechanic by eliminating the Support entities, which will (after a delay) make the aura stop. You might be thinking about miasma, a totally different mechanic.

you try imply that warlocks have high awareness due it's Forte.

Nope, not what I said. Warlocks have bonus awareness from forte, not necessarily high awareness.

You don't need to run special tests to find this information out. Just do a regular run of the trial, and investigate the combat log. The combat log will tell you whether hits are critical hits or not, and you can determine which hits are deflected and which are not. You will find that none of the ones labelled "Empowered Draconic Aura" deflect or crit.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ifs#2910 said:

Incorrect. Empowered Draconic Aura is the DoT that takes place when the Thayan Supports are active. They empower the dragon, which in turn emits the aura, which affects everyone everywhere. There is no safe place to retreat to. One must resolve the mechanic by eliminating the Support entities, which will (after a delay) make the aura stop. You might be thinking about miasma, a totally different mechanic.

Nope, not what I said. Warlocks have bonus awareness from forte, not necessarily high awareness.

You don't need to run special tests to find this information out. Just do a regular run of the trial, and investigate the combat log. The combat log will tell you whether hits are critical hits or not, and you can determine which hits are deflected and which are not. You will find that none of the ones labelled "Empowered Draconic Aura" deflect or crit.

Alright lets look again to your comments.
    ifs#2910 said:

HR, DC: cannot mitigate the damage with their class forte stat, deflect, because the damage cannot be deflected.
    GF, CW: cannot mitigate the damage with their class forte stat, critical avoidance, because the damage cannot crit.
    OP, TR, Bard: cannot mitigate the damage with their class forte stat, deflect severity, because the damage cannot be deflected.
    SW, GWF: can mitigate the damage significantly because their class forte happens to give awareness, which *can* mitigate the damage since the damage is dealt with combat advantage.

So by this comment you claim that others classes can't mitigate this mechanics damage, cuz it's dealt with Combat advantage and mitigation is only via Awareness..

I wrote:
    you try imply that warlocks have high awareness due it's Forte

Your reply.

Which bring interesting outcome.

What you try tell is that, while warlock do not posses higher Awarness stat , they can mitigate this mechanics damage, while tanks with higher stat value can't do that.

It's make no sense.

Now just a quick reminder, awarness is not locked to Forte.
    You can gain awareness via: Gear, artefacts, enchantments, reinforcmens, campaing boons, stronghold boon, mount, companions. Even food( stronghold buffs), potions can give you awarness.

Blades of Vanquished Armies- Reduces the damage taken by target party member or self by 5%.
    Duration: 6s
    Added Effect: Deals physical damage over time to enemies within 12' of the target.
    Magnitude: 130
    Duration: 6s

This encounter redduce taken damage. Have you thought about it? Maybe this mitigate taken damage. :)
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    You misunderstand me. I am referring to mitigating damage with the aid of their forte. Not mitigating damage in general. In other words, their forte gives them extra help against the damage, compared to if their forte was in a different stat. Not compared to a completely different character.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This discussion has become just a waste of my time. I came to share ideas, not to constantly address absurd tangential misconstruences of everything I say, and be talked to as if I don't know anything. Good luck.
  • Options
    fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Inconsistencies across classes when it comes to mechanics and items are a valid concern. This isn't in the top 5, but the thread is valid. Like why the devs haven't implemented a short ICD on the Band of Air to make its DPS impact more stable across classes is beyond me. Details matter and the devs constantly fail at these little yet important things. You cannot have a BiS item produce inconsistent numbers, especially since Neverwinter doesn't have a dedicated balancing team so that tweaking classes takes ages.

Another extreme example is the Paranoid Delusion and Clerics. You can't have those spikes.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ifs#2910 said:

You misunderstand me. I am referring to mitigating damage with the aid of their forte. Not mitigating damage in general. In other words, their forte gives them extra help against the damage, compared to if their forte was in a different stat. Not compared to a completely different character.

ifs#2910 said:

This discussion has become just a waste of my time. I came to share ideas, not to constantly address absurd tangential misconstruences of everything I say, and be talked to as if I don't know anything. Good luck.

It was not a discussion in first place.

From thread name it's already clear what is purpose of this thread.
    EMPOWERED DRACONIC AURA DOT UNFAIRLY HURTS SOME CLASSES MORE THAN OTHERS.

Then read up first of your comment.
    Read up your own very first comment.
    ifs#2910 said:

The Empowered Draconic Aura DoT in Crown of Keldegonn never crits and cannot be deflected. I imagine this is to reduce the number of potential procs people can use/abuse to their benefit, and ensure that players are incentivized to resolve the mechanic as quickly as possible due to the healer pressure.

Edit: this isn't really a request to fix, there are far more important things to focus on. Just food for thought on class balance and forte.
    You claim that only warlock and barbarian can mitigate this mechanics dealt dmg cuz it does CA damage, and warlocks/barbarians Forte gives Awarenes.

But at same moment you ignore fact that, awarness can be increased via gear, boons( campaing), boons(Stronghold), potions, mounts, companons, gear reinforment, enchantments.

The whole thread is just request to nerf Warlock/barbarians or buff other classes. Nothing more..
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    Gustave Le Bon.

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

ifs#2910 said:

ifs#2910 said:

It was not a discussion in first place.

From thread name it's already clear what is purpose of this thread.
    EMPOWERED DRACONIC AURA DOT UNFAIRLY HURTS SOME CLASSES MORE THAN OTHERS.

Then read up first of your comment.
    Read up your own very first comment.
    ifs#2910 said:

You claim that only warlock and barbarian can mitigate this mechanics dealt dmg cuz it does CA damage, and warlocks/barbarians Forte gives Awarenes.

But at same moment you ignore fact that, awarness can be increased via gear, boons( campaing), boons(Stronghold), potions, mounts, companons, gear reinforment, enchantments.

The whole thread is just request to nerf Warlock/barbarians or buff other classes. Nothing more..
    So, where can I find the vendor that sells Forte Stat Changing Potions (pat. pending)?